Surgery In 30-60 Days

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

Lanna

:confused: Hi, everyone. I am new at this and took along time to get the nerve to even come on. But after my last echo, it has gotten to the serious point. My gradient is up to 100mm, my left vetricle has enlarged to 4.4, I am down to 1.2 for stenosis and I am starting hypertrophy. I have seen Dr. Stelzer in NY and looks like I am still a great candidate for the Ross. Being that I just turned 35 and have to small children 2 & 5. I have a pretty active life. So I choose to go with the Ross. I had to give alot up as I have gotten more tired the past year and half.

Any help, suggestions or encourgement would be appreciated. I am still working 30 hours a week and on a 1,200 calorie a day diet and try to do the treadmill 1/4 mile every day to stay in the best shape I can be in. I have started with dizzy spells, holding water and trouble lifting my arms up for long period of time. I have been watching the forum for several months but kept saying I have a long time to go yet, I have time to get on and talk with people. Well I do not. They feel I should not wait much longer. Should line up a specific date by next week.

Sorry this so long, but my nerves are getting the best of me. Take care everyone, Lanna

Hi Lanna,

Welcome to the site. There are several folks on here that have had the Ross Procedure and I am sure they will be glad to help answer any of your questions regarding it.

I think you are doing the right thing by trying to stay in as best shape as possible prior to your surgery. I know that it really helped me. In fact, the doctors said that if I was not in such good shape, I problably would not have survived the emergency surgery.

I hope you visit here often and ask specific questions.

A warm welcome and a wish for good health,

Rob

Hi Lanna Welcome

Hi Lanna Welcome

Hi Lanna-

Welcome to the site. It's a great place, the heart surgery patients' living room, LOL, so pull up a chair. We'll give you the Lazy Boy because you're pre-surgery. You can use it post surgery too.

Everyone here understands what you're feeling and can relate to
your symptoms. Most all have either had the surgery or have a loved one who went through it, some have been through this several times, like my husband who's had 3 open heart surgeries, 2 lung surgeries and has a pacemaker. He's 70 years old and still clicking along with his 2 mechanicals.

The symptoms you've described are pretty much typical and once you have the surgery and have recovered a little, will be gone, gone, gone.

It's OK to feel scared and have lots of nerves right now. So use this site to help you get through this period and make some wonderful new friends who'll hold your cyber hand.

It sounds as if you have youth on your side and that this is your first heart operation and that's great, you'll bounce back easier than some others. You have a wonderful doctor, and you'll be fine.

Wishing you the best and hope to see you often here.

Hey Lanna - nice to meet you. Since you have been reading along for awhile now, we don't have to explain ourselves as you are no longer a newbie. Just want you to know that the great group of heartfriends are here to stand with you, to answer all your questions, and give you as much support as you need starting right now.

Actually, this part is the very worst for just about everybody because all of us are afraid of the unknown and this sure is an unknown, huh? But, when you are afraid or upset, just pop in here and usually people check in/out all day long (and night) so you will get a quick response. And believe me, that can be very important - just knowing someone is thinking/praying for you.

Ask anything, say whatever you want. God bless:)

hi lanna,how r u doing? this is a great forum for support and useful information, as I found out when I joined.
I had avr about 5 years ago, when I was about 35,I have one daughter who is nearly six.
The waiting is the scariest part, but when you come through the op you'll be much livelier than before, after the initial recuperation period.I think the hardest thing was not being able to pick my daughter up (or lift heavy things) for 6 weeks,
but I can give her piggy backs etc now and play frisbee with the best of them...although she's getting heavier by the month!
you'll come through this fine, and be in hospital for a short period of time (just enough time to have a good rest!).I had accupuncture up to having surgery which helped a lot, and had some homeopathic stuff to help healing post op ( not everyones cup of tea but it seemed to work for me).lots of love to you and your family, and feel free to email me if u need a chat

hi lanna!
welcome to this site. it is by far the best place to find support and hand-holding along this very scary journey. everyone here has been so wonderful.
my husband, joey, 49, had his rp done by dr.stelzer on sept. 20, 2001. dr. stelzer is a wonderful man in addition to being a brilliant surgeon. he does all his surgery himself (from opening to closing).
are you having it done at beth israel? that's where joey was. do you have to travel far?
your young age is a big plus.your recovery should be nice and quick.
i'm not sure what i can offer up, but if you have any questions or just want to chat and gather some info about how this all went, please feel free to email me at: [email protected] or call me at 914-698-4066. i am always available and happy to talk about joey's surgery. it has been a really positive experience for all of us (we have 2 daughters, 14 and 17 1/2).
good luck and be well.
-sylvia

Last edited:
Hi Lanna

Welcome to the site.

You sound like you are going down a good path - considering alternatives and finding the best surgeon.

Making the choice is very difficult - it's very personal each person has to make it in consultation with their medical team. Some go along with whatever the doctors say (and that's fine for them) while others want to research and satisfy themselves that they are getting the "right" procedure for themselves.

I was in the latter category and ended up having to travel to the other side of the country to get a Homograft AVR after the doctors in Perth all headed me to a mechanical valve.

If you have done some research, you will have found that the RP is technically more demanding on the surgeon and the patient. These are reasons why the RP is only suitable if you are relatively young and fit and you can get a highly experience RP surgeon.

My advice is to talk to your medical team, ask them questions and if the answers all make sense to you, then go for it. But you must feel comfortable with your choice - no lingering doubts. If you like, consider the alternatives and weigh up the pros and cons of each, remembering that even these are different for different people. For example, some people go for a choice that virtually guarantees no need for any future re-do operation (mechanical valve) and are quite prepared for the Warfarin regime. Others can accept a re-do operation 15 to 20 years down the track but want to avoid the Warfarin. Unfortunately, there's no perfect solution (yet), although there are great prospects on the horizon.

The RP appears to offer a technically elegant solution, but you shoud be aware of the plusses and minuses.

Good luck with your choice, but remember that whatever you choose, life will be that much better afterwards. Having the operation behind you is much better than vice versa.

Regards

Gerry

:D Thanks everyone for all the replies. It has really helped to know there are alot of us who have and are going to be going thru similar experiences. Well the date has been set. February 26th with Dr. Stelzer in New York.

There is part of me that feels relieved now that the date has been set. They do not want me to wait any longer. My cardiologist in Allentown, PA the area I am from, is in complete support of my Ross Procedure choice. They have 5 people at their office, that they are following-up with and so far they have all had great outcomes. I would be the youngest but I have a few other health concerns, they did not.

I have been blessed that family, friends and my cyber friends are caring and supportive. I am positive that as things get closer I will have a lot more detailed questions to ask, but for now I am trying to to sit back and enjoy the calm before the storm.

Take care and God Bless, Lanna

Lanna-

So glad you have your surgery date. Now you know that better health is just around the corner.

Best wishes

Sure makes it better when you know your date. Lets you get things in proper schedule. Someone will post your date in the calendar (I don't know how) so everyone will be aware. Have you looked at the calendar. It has much info to keep us on track. We are here when you have questions. God bless

Hi Lanna--

Thanks for your message and kind thoughts. I'll be thinking about you on 2/26. We'll probaqbly be in the operating room at the same time, but about 100 miles apart.

I saw that Salvia's spouse had the same surgeon and it sounds like they were extremely pleased with the doctor's work and with him as a person. That should give you a lot of comfort.

I know of several people in my area that have used the hospital and the surgeon that I choose for similar operations and they rave about him. That helped me feel a little better about the choice and eliminated any second guessing that I might have had.

I'll pray for you and for your family as you all go through this together.

Good thoughts!

Good thoughts!

Everyone else alluded to it, but I want to help you focus on how good you are going to feel when surgery is over. Even in ICU, just before moving me to my room the nurse asked me if I could roll over a bit so she could put an exray thing under me...I said I didn't know could I? I expected a lot of pain, but nada...only a twinge and really light. A day later they said Why don't you get up while I am here to help you and you can go to the bathroom...trepidation again, but no problem...other than pulling up my panties...how can that hurt...must torque your sternum. Then I was up walking the halls and realizing I was walking faster than I did when I came in and I was not out of breath at all. From then on it has been really exhilerating to keep discovering things I can do just dandy that I could not do at all pre surgery. Good luck and God bless...the best is yet to come.

hi lanna!
i'm so glad you have a date pinned down. now for the worst part, the waiting..please come and chat with us while you wait, we'd love to keep you company.
in the meantime, you are in the best of hands_ dr. stelzer has done over 300 rp's! (joey's #304!). he also has a set team that he works with for these rp's which i found very reassuring.
you will be in our thoughts on the 26th. i look forward to hearing form you before and after then.

ron k,
you too will be in our thoughts. is your date the 26th as well?

God bless you both,
sylvia

Hi Lanna

I am on the waiting list for my aortic valve replacement.
My mitral was replaced in Oct 1999. Since I have a
mechanical valve my aortic will also be one. I have had
no problems with my mechanical. I know how you feel.
Constantly tired and I also try to exercise to keep in
shape. I had a consult with my surgeon who says I
in excellent shape (other tha my valve) I should come thru
my second surgery well. Best of luck in you upcoming surgery.

:) Judy

Still on schedule?

Still on schedule?

Hi Lanna,

I haven't seen any posts from you recently. Are you still sceduled to go in for your operation on the 26th?

I think I have a good idea how you're feeling about it. First the time seemed to go slowly waiting for the day to arrive, but now it seems like it's coming up a little too quickly. On the other hand, it will be good to have it over with.

Good luck with your Ross procedure and I'll be praying for you and your family.

Ron K.

Latest posts

Back