Stationary bicycles

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Debbrn

I am interested in buying a stationary bicycle. In April my VO2 was measured at 17.5 and a max watt of 106 on an upright bicycle. Since then I have been started on beta blockers. At one point I was on low dose nadolol. It definitely decreased my exercise ability and increased my fatigue. I could do so little at the gym that I quit. I have been changed to atenolol. I feel much better. I am now looking at doing things at home. I have been walking outside some. But it has been raining a lot and this week it has barely come above freezing.

I am looking at a bicycle that cost under $300. Which is better recumbent or upright? I just need a basic bike that allows be to have pretty low resistance. Any suggestions?

Debbie

I don't know how much help I can be but here's something. I have a trainer for my road bike that makes it stationary and saves me buying another. However, my daughter has used both upright and recumbants and prefers the recumbant. In fact she rode it up until she was eight months pregnant. One of the things she likes is being able to read while riding. I rode one at the gym one time and it was different for me but it probably takes some getting used to if your used to the uprights. Good luck in your recovery and choice in a bike. Keep us posted.

Debbie,

The upright stationary bike would require that you use your upper body to support your weight, either on your hands and arms, or your back (by sitting upright without holding the handlebars). The recumbent is great if you want a more relaxed position (the seat is a seat, not a saddle) and as Kodi mentioned above, it's easier to read, etc. I don't know about the pricing of recumbents, but I would think that they tend to be more expensive.

As a road cyclist, I would recommend the upright unless you have back issues or are still recovering from a sternotomy and should not put too much pressure/weight on your hands/arms/shoulders.

My $0.02.

Mike

Latest posts

Back