Springtime Surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

Peachy

Hi everyone

Saw the Surgeon at the Glasgow Royal today to discuss my AVR. Was armed with all my facts and figures and ready to tell him that I didn't want a mechanical valve. He discussed the various options and said that he would recommend a mechanical as it would last a lifetime. I said I didn't want this and wanted a biological valve. To my surprise he didn't oppose this but thought I should think about the implications as I would have to go through another operation in about 10 - 15 years time. I said I know this and am prepared to take the risk rather than have to take Warfarin. He was quite happy with this and said that he would give me a stented pig valve. All I have to do now is join the infamous NHS waiting list and it will be around Spring when I have my surgery.

Peachy

Sounds to me like you're doing the right thing, Peachy, though I realize (I think you pointed this out before) that options may be more limited in Scotland than here in the States, for example. This said, I would widen your options among non-mechanical valves, get a second opinion (perhaps down the pike in that other part of the UK), and look at stentless, homograft, bovine and some others. My sense is that the norm of valve life in the bioprosthetic arena is now up over 15 years, and the SynerGraft may pushi it to 25.

Peter

Peachy!

Peachy!

You go girl! Tell those NHS docs.
I am with you on the Warfarin all the way! That's why I got the Ross procedure. I am not ready for blood thinners.

Godd luck with the NHS wait list. We'll be thinking of you. Go eat a single nougat for us!
-Mara

Peachy - Well done! I'm so glad you are going to get what you wanted.

Latest posts

Back