South Beach Diet & Low INR

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cirrider

I have had fairly stable INR for 3 yrs. I do home testing w/Coaguchek XS and usually test once a week. About 2 weeks ago, on the advice of my cardio, I started the South Beach diet. First two weeks you are very limited. Basicaly, no carbs, no wine, no popcorn. Last Tuesday INR was 2.2. My normal dose is 10.5 daily, so I raised it to 11.00, which usually is all I need to do. Check this morning (after taking 4 doses at that level) and now it is 1.9. I probably will add back the wine and popcorn tonight since I do notice that my digestion has slowed down considerably. Has anyone else done a diet like South Beach with the same results. Should I just add back the foods I was use to having or up my dosage again? I really don't want it lower. My normal range is 2.5 to 3.5. Thanks for any advice.

Cirrider:

I think your problem is that you are trying to "diet the dose, not dose the diet." If you change your diet and that change results in a change in your INR, what you need to do is either increase or decrease your dose of Coumadin.

If you want to correctly follow the South Beach Diet to lose weight, you must follow the diet exactly as presented. Phase One is strict, but it does not ban all carbs, just the wrong ones for this phase. If you have the SB book, check through the requirements for Phase One and you will find that it "It does not have to be low carb if you CHOOSE THE RIGHT CARBS.

If you decide to "add in" wine you'll defeat the purpose of Phase one and the requirements of the diet plan. Which means it is likely that you will lose little if any weight.

I'm sure the experts here will have be along soon make suggestions about the dose changes for you.

Kind regards,
Blanche

If you are eating the pre-packaged South Beach meals - check and see if there is a soy content.

Also - if you are eating better - your metabolism may be reving up.

As Blanche said - just adjust your dose. It's better that you eat healthy and establish a healthy weight, than try to keep your Coumadin intake low.

Add A Dose?

Add A Dose?

Thanks for the input on this. I am just about finished with the 2nd week of phase 2 and should be able to maintain a more balanced diet with phase 2.

I checked aafp.org site and found the recommendation to add one dose if the INR is below 2.0. I don't recall anyone on the board ever talking about taking a double dose. Has anyone done that to bring the INR up more quickly or is it better just to increase the dose by 10% to 20%? I have increased from 10.5 to 11.5 per day which is 10%. Thanks

Rob

You're better off doing the 10% increase. Taking an additional dose would be assuming that your INR is just temporarily low rather than due to a change in eating habits.

Cirrider:

By "no carbs," are you talking simple carbs or complex carbs?

I would have thought you would have had an increase in INR. I've been told the South Beach diet is very similar to Weight Watchers' Core plan (lean meat, low fat, mostly grains, veggies & fruits). Best thing of all, I **can** eat popcorn -- 94% fat-free popcorn. A snack bag of 94%FF popcorn about 1 hour before going out to eat is a calorie-saver. It has fiber and bulk with few calories and helps control your hunger when looking at a restaurant menu or faced with a too-tempting buffet at a banquet.

I think the big difference in the 1st two weeks of South Beach is that you cut out all alcohol. I am use to having a glass of wine at night. For the two weeks I have not had any. That, along with other diet changes seems to have thrown my INR off. Have increased my warfarin by about 15% and will test again on Tuesday. Have lost weight. Just need to get the numbers up. Way toooooo low @ 1.9. :eek:

Cirrider:
Do you have the "South Beach Diet Book?" or the small booklet that shows the Glycemic Index for hundreds of foods? In Phase two, there are many foods that you can introduce into your diet SPARINGLY and in very moderate amounts. You want to eat the foods that have low Glycemic Index numbers.

Here are some of the "Foods to Avoid or Eat Rarely:"
Bagel, Refined wheat or white bread, Cookies, Cornflakes, Matzo, Pasta -white flour, White or instant potatoes, White Rice, Dinner Rolls, Beets, Corn, Potatoes, Banannas, Can fruit, Fruit juice, Pineapple, Raisins, Watermelon, Honey, Ice cream, Jam and Beer. (Copied from the "South Beach Diet Book.")

It's a wonderful eating plan, but you do have to be very careful with the high glycemic index carbs and portion control.

Hope this helps,
Blanche

I agree that the South Beach diet is a good and workable eating plan. My main issue, at this point, is why did my INR drop to 1.9 while on the 1st 2 weeks (phase 1). All I can figure is it was cutting out the wine @ night and the change in my digestion. My primary concern right now is to get the INR up from 1.9 into a safer range. Then I can worry more about eating properly. I have adjusted my dose by +15% and will test either tomorrow or Tuesday (depending on if my anxiety gets the better of me). We will see what it is then. Thanks

Your INR should already be on it's way up since your dosage adjustment - so try and put your mind at ease. I found this forum because my INR was hanging around 1.8 and I couldn't seem to get it up with dosage adjustments. I finally took a look at the ingredients section on the bar and saw that soy was it's protein source (duh!!!). So problem was solved. I was low for probably 3 weeks without an issue.

I have eaten South Beach for many years (at least 5) and find it very healthy lifestyle. I have been on warfarin for 5 weeks and am still not in range. My surgeon and cardio have told me I will only be on warfarin for 2-3 months. Seems I'll be off it by the time they finally get my dosage established. I eat very consistently every day and this week my dosage was again raised and I am on 80 mg per week. :rolleyes: Thankfully, I've been okay but it does worry me a bit.

I've never used South Beach products, but I did use some soy-based diet supplement meal stuff regularly a couple of months ago. I did notice a change in my INR and needed to adjust my coumadin dosage. I still drink a soy-based diet drink for lunch, but it's not enough to throw-off my INR.

-Philip

Inr Up

Inr Up

Thanks for all the posts. With my 15% increase in warfarin, my INR this morning is 2.4 :D Still not as high as I need it, but at least going the right direction. Will continue the higher dose and the diet and test again in 4 or 5 days to make sure I don't let it too high. Again, thanks for the suggestions.

CC

I've done the SB diet (need to go back!) It's a great healthy way to eat. The 1st 2 week initial period is less about weight loss and more about getting rid of the sugar cravings. You will find as you add back some of the grains, that some of them encourage you to "eat more". Those are your "trigger foods".

One of the big reasons your INR goes down is that the SB diet greatly encourages green vegetables, healthy oils in moderation. Both of these will increase the vitamin K in your system. If you were a person who restricted your intake of "k" foods, this will certainly change the INR.

As for the wine and popcorn...well the wine doesn't effect your INR at all. And Popcorn...it shouldn't either. Popcorn really is kind of a no-no as it is pretty empty calories and it's waaayyy to easy to eat more than a serving (2 cups popped). Popcorn and pretzels and snack crackers (goldfish) are discouraged because they tend to lead to mindless eating.

I hope this helps some. If you have any more questions about this, don't hesitate to PM me. This is a topic best left there or in the small talk forum.

Back