sorin mechanical valve?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

perimeno

My brother was operated on yesterday in England (aortic valve replacement). They gave him a Sorin valve. I have just started reading about mechanical valves and have read so much about the St. Jude one as being the best. I had heard of it before and kind of thought that was what my brother was going to get. Does anyone know about the Sorin valve. Had a 2 minute conversation with my brother today (he is still in ICU, and I am in Canada) so we didn't have a very lengthy conversation except to say I love him and am so glad he made it through. An Italian valve doesn't give me a lot of reassurance. I just think about fashion and whims and wonder if it will last or did he have bad luck in somehow getting this valve. Can anyone direct me to a srudy where they discuss the benifits of one typr over another or can you give me your personal opinions.
Thanks for any information.
Peri

Thank you Ross for your quick reply. I dont' know yet which he had but will ask him tomorrow when I next speak with him
Thanks again
Peri

It'll be one of these models:

Mechanical Heart Valves :

Bicarbon?, Bicarbon? Slimline, Bicarbon? OVERline, Allcarbon?, CarbonArt?

Hi Peri,
Ross has already given you the link to the Sorin website, but I thought I'd add that my boyfriend was given a Sorin valve in December 2003. We're in England. Where did your brother have his surgery done?
Jim's surgeon's registrar said Jim would be probably getting a St Jude valve, but the surgeon then told us it was to be a Sorin, because of the reduced pressure gradient across the valve in comparison to others, and that he felt it was the best mechanical valve available. For some bizarre reason it's very hard to find out what model it is - we think it's the Slimline version but we have recently emailed the hospital for confirmation of this, I'll post again when we know for sure!
Gemma.

Hi Gemma,

My brother had his operation in Leeds at the Nuffield Hospital. It's a private hospital but he is on NHS. It was going to be a longer wait at the main heart hospital in Leeds. Where did Jim get his done. I am wondering if the Sorin is the valve choice of doctors in England maybe. I'm sure each hospital even has its preferences. I haven't come across anyone else having it though on this bulletin board. Thanks for replying.
Peri

Hi Peri,
Jim had his surgery done in Liverpool, although we actually live in Chester.
Like you, I was a bit worried at first when we found out Jim was getting a Sorin valve, as I'd read most people here got the St Jude model. The Sorin is a 3rd generation valve while the St Jude is a 2nd generation. Hopefully I won't now get several hundred angry replies from people with a St Jude saying theirs is just fine ;) but I think the opinion of British surgeons (if Jim and your brothers' are anything to go by) seems to be swaying towards the Sorin. Jim has had no problems with it and is approaching 4 months post-op, his heart which had been enlarged previously to surgery is now back to normal size.
Hope your brother is getting on OK.
Gemma.

Sorin company

Sorin company

Sorin is a long time medical equiment company from Italy-remember they make great car engines. The company
owns Carbomedics which is the main supplier to CC. The
pure carbon product Pyrolite (RM) which is used by all the major valve maker for the surface of their valves was developed by this company. From my studies of the clinical
data, when you compare the newest version of St. Judes medical, ATS, Carbomedics and Sorin, there is really no
statistical difference in the EAOI, Peak Gradient or Mean
Gradient. They are all superior to previous generations.
Whether this will make a real difference to the average
person, only ADL assessment clinical studies still need to be completed.

Thanks you so much for this information. Good to know it comparees facourable with the others.
Peri

Just a quick note. I made the decision to come to England to visit my brother in the hospital. It wasn't till the second day visiting, that I realized I couldn't hear his heart. So that is one good thing about the Sorin.
Peri

Back