Skyrocketing Insurance Premiums

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am adding my two cents worth a little late to this thread but here goes anyway: When insurance companies first formed many years ago the concept was simple, a group of people banned together to help their fellow neighbor in a time of crisis and there was no thought of profit margin. Just share the burden during a crisis. WHERE DID THAT GREAT IDEA GO???? I read recently that the biggest reason the FOR PROFIT INSURANCE INDUSTRY was hiking all rates out of sight had nothing to do with settlements going up but was primarily centered around the insurance companies losses over investments in the stock market which went sour and a desire to continue to show a profit margin!!! WHO OUT THERE IS REALLY REGULATING WHAT THESE COMPANIES CHARGE PEOPLE??? I get the feeling that the insurance commissioners on the state level are just rubber stamping whatever the companies ask for when it comes to rate increases. Dave

Have to agree with you, Dave. Not only has health ins gone up, my home insurance and auto insurance went up this year, too. Unbelievable hikes. And they have to get state approval.

I deleted my previous post as I get rather heated when it comes to greedy people and greedy corporations that make unwise business decisions. There is way too much of this and accountability is almost unheard of to these pricks.

"Talking about Health Care Premiums?"

"Talking about Health Care Premiums?"

Our health insurance went up a wopping $400.00 a month as of July 1st. of last year. We pay a total of $1.043.00 a month and the state pays $260.00 of that amount so we still have to come up with $793.42. We got no choice of company and the only one available was PacifiCare. We don't dare leave this groupplan as another one might not accept me because of my valve problem. It is just my husband and I on the group plan.
The problem here in AZ is that we are overrun by illegals that cross the border (we are about an hour away from the border) and need a doctor or hospital care. There is absolutely nothing we can do about this problem because state law states that when a person goes to a hospital they have to take care of you whether you are black, brown, white or whether you can pay or not.
Who knows what will happen to our premiums this year, 2003.

Christina
Tucson, AZ

Insurance

Insurance

Wow! $750 a month. I thought we had it bad at $490 a month. I hadn't thought about it before but did anyone experience an increase in rates after they had thier surgery? It seems that health insurance is following auto insurance and that makes me wonder. I am certainly not a liberal nor a social worker type thinker but it galls me to watch our government prepare for war, buy new and faster aircraft/weapons and give aid to foriegn countries when at the same time congress cant afford health care for US citizens. What happens to the thinking of our elected representative when they reach Washington? They promise that health care is their top priority but nuthing happens except policing the world and buying allies.

I do feel bad for you guys and the healthcare premiums, and that was one of the main reason that Kevin had to stay in the navy...the free insurance. And it isn't like we valvers can let our insurance lapse, because the next insurance company might not cover us. I do know, however, that if you have constant insurance coverage, a grouphealth insurance HAS to take you. But only if your insurance doesn't lapse for any amount of time! Our auto insurance is supposed to go down this year since I am 25. Basically, though, that is why we are stuck in the navy and not out in the real world closer to our families.

Bob - never believe what they say when running for election - never comes to pass.

I have a friend who had cancer surgery about 1983 and she takes diabetic medicine. She cannot get insurance anywhere - unless she is in a group. She is not sick and is cancer free. My dear Joe had a stroke in 1986 and in 1991 he could not get insured by anyone, after he left his state job. He got Medicare when he turned 65. I was turned down in 1986, had insurance all my life, was not sick and insurance co would never tell me why. After that I could not get insurance at all and had to wait for Medicare. Now, ain't that a shame. We must all thank Senator Pepper of Florida for the Medicare and eventually, if govt has its way, we won't have that either, or we will have a much watered down Medicare, as each year they are reducing the benefits. There are so many folks in our country without proper medical care. And this is the good old USA where others believe our streets are paved with gold. We do have a good system, but some of it (like the insurance question) is flawed. And I don't think we can count on our govt to fix this one. That is, til you baby boomers come along and demand it or do it for the rest. There are enough of you to make a hue and cry that will be heard to the stars above, so ya'll do it, hear?

Joy, this is why your voting voice is so important.
God bless

Insurance

Insurance

Your right about that...It is a hot topic, I thank God for it anyway, One year we had to get our own, private insurance, they would not cover any pre-existing conditions, and gave us the maximum deductible.

My husband's insurance has been sky-rocketing every year, the plan we were forced to get this year, refused to pay for my rehab, it's being appealed, but I don't see them paying, they seem to (insurance companies) be running the health care industry.

Here in the northeast a lot of our doctor are getting out of practicing medicine cause they can't afford the high price of malpractice insurance, there are very few OB doctors, theirs seems to be the highest rate.

I could go on & on & on...

Terry40

UNIVERSAL HEALTH CARE

UNIVERSAL HEALTH CARE

Have we created more health care than we can afford? Maybe and maybe not. I am for universal health care with a single payer. This would preserve private practise and get rid of the leech like insurance companies. The authorities claim this would save enough money to take care of our 40 million uninsured. By the way I heard about this plan from doctors while visiting my son in Vermont.One of the Democratic presidential candidates is Howard Dean a popular 2 term governor of Vermont and also a practising internist who kept his office open while serving as governor. He has little money and comes from a small state but he is an expert on "single payer". I'm hoping he does well and if he gets the nomination I will vote for him though I am a registered Republican.

Last edited:
Heard Anne Richards (former Tx Gov) on Larry King one night and she said the only one so far that she is even interested in is Dean. I plan to watch carefully to get all the info available on the candidates and find one with something new to offer, but have heard only good things about Dean. He is a 'likely' for my vote, too.

Back