Scar Fears

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KristyW

I've noticed a lot of people recently posting that are afraid or anxious of how their scar is going to look. I have a suggestion for all of you. Ask your surgeon if he would consider closing the outer portion of your incision with dermabond (skin superglue). There will be no staples or no visible stitches, just a thin red line that eventually fades to silver. I was fortunate that my surgeon chose that method of closing. I was very surprised and pleased when I took the dressings off my chest to find no stitches.

Go ahead and ask, the worst that they can say is "no".

Kristy, I wish I had thought of that. I ended up with 50 staples! And where they cut under my right breast to attempt the minmally invasive, I just found a stitch hanging that needs to be cut off.
:(

Dr. Pettersen at the Cleveland Clinic sewed me up from the inside...don't ask me how, but I too just have a thin line...white now and smooth...and it made a dent so it helps the cleavage which is great because I had none before!

Mine will always show. Did not have much say for the first one and the second one is hardly much over the first. I am proud of the scar and will proudly show it off. No matter who stares, I am still here to share with those whpo may want to know about the scar. I know that there are those with vanity about scars, do what is recommended here. I just wanted t share my opinion on my own scar and how I deal with it. You all take care and keep hanging in there.

Caroline
09-13-01
Aortic valve replacement
St. Jude's valve

Caroline,
What a perfect attitude! I too have been "zippered" twice, with no say in the matter and...it doesn't matter. Gee, like I had a career with the "Chippendales" cut short because of my scar...
Honestly, anyone who can stand completely naked in front of a full length mirror and say the only thing wrong with them is their scar, has been blessed with perfection that the rest of us "earthly" bodies can only imagine...
Remain proud of the fact the scar is a badge of survival and courage. Those who would negatively comment on it, may they never know the trials we endured to get, and remain where we are today. There was no alternative...there was only life!

I dont mind my scar showing, I just wish I hadnt ended up with 50 staples! I probably could have been spared some pain if they had used the glue stuff and I wouldnt have ended up with the scar being infected from leaving the staples in too long. :confused:

This is a very interesting thread - the glue stuff instead of the staples. Since the scar is a big deal, why don't we mention it to future valvers so they can ask their surgeons? Newbies are always wondering what to ask and what to expect and we could make this one of our suggestions. Think about it.........

Proud

Proud

Caroline,

I love your attitude!! I too have no problem wearing "v-neck" tops, my bathing suit or anything else that shows my scar. I figured that I earned that "Badge of Courage". I gladly answer any questions when they come up.

Scar and sun..

Scar and sun..

I sunbathe topless and not one single person has asked me about my scar. Well, maybe they didn't speak English! What does 'bon jorno' mean and 'je t'aime' and 'ich liebe dich' and 'quero tu cuerpo?' Excuse the spellings.

Seriously, the scar is the least of my problems and it's not even a 'pretty' one as the bottom half has sort of pulled apart. I use a number 23 sunblock just on the lower half cause it will burn. The skin seems to be very thin there.

Yep Barrett -- you're 100 percent right about us and our 'earthly bodies.'

Kristy- I think thats what the doctor did with the top of my scar. I did have a few staples a little lower, hurt like hell of course, but the top doesn't look bad. Of course you are right. Our Scar is our Badge of Courage and I'm definitely proud of it.

How can a person be so vain, that they would be embarrassed to have their scar show? When it's warm out I do wear blouses that show my scar. If people ask me about it, I tell them. I'm not ashamed.

Caroline, you too have a very good attitude about the scar too. So far it seems everyone on the thread has a good a good attitude about the scar.

Alicia, I too remember having one thread, that I eventually pulled out myself when it moved freely enough. It itched the heck out of me for about two weeks. So we have a scar, show it proudly! Like I said "No human is perfect"

I was glued...

I was glued...

But my scar, post-op 3 months is nice and red and still bothers me pain wise. I can't imagin it ever fading, Of course I have very sensitive skin, all my life, so this could just be my lot in life.
:(

terry40

My surgeon also sewed me up from the inside, and all I had immediately after surgery was a very thin red line. It reminded me of a cat scratch. All the nurses said that if it looked that good already, there would hardly be anything there after it faded.

Well, they lied. My scar is pretty awful 8 months post-op. I guess the good thing is that the surgeon started it rather low, compared to others I've seen. So I am able to wear most v-necks without it showing.

I asked a cardiologist about it, and he said that the way your skin heals is mostly in your genes. I guess I don't have good genes!

I told my PCP I was disappointed at the way my scar was healing, and he said it was better than the alternative- heart failure! But he did say he could possibly give me steroid injections, I just don't know if I want to go that far.

The worst thing is, the itching! Even after 8 months! And sometimes I get little bumps on either side of the scar that itch, does anybody have a clue what that might be? Am I allergic to the chest wires, and breaking out from the inside?? I don't get it.

This is an instance in which our individuality becomes evident. I was also "glued" and have a beautiful scar as a result of my surgery. I could care less about my scar - I would sunbathe topless or wear a low-cut shirt and not think anything. If someone asked me about the scar, I would tell my story proudly. There is certainly more tragic situations in life - all around me - than having a scar between my breasts. That's the way I feel - that's my individuality!!!!! I am woman, hear me roar! :p

I was very self-conscious about my scar when I first got home from the hospital. I know now that a lot of it was due to my post-surgical depression, but it took a long time for me to even look at it in the mirror.
Eventually I mellowed out about it, just about the time I started going back to the gym on a regular basis. I have to admit that I enjoyed the range of reactions I got from guys in the locker room when I took off my shirt after a good workout session. Some of my friends even went as far as telling some of the gym rookies that I had just had a heart transplant...;)

Mark

After 4 surgeries

After 4 surgeries

my scars don't look bad. I never had staples though. It's the chest tube scars that don't look that great. I have 10 small scars from them. I don't care what people think. I wear swimsuits and whatever. I too have to admit that it makes me look like I have cleavage (much needed).

Latest posts

Back