replacing aortic root

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
F

fisher6476

Any one know technically what aortic root means. I got pre-op paperwork yesterday and saw that word for the first time. I knew I had an anyeurism that was going to be fixed with dacron patch.
I am meeting again with surgeon on thursday and will get reeducated, just wantetd to ask what anyone in the group might know.
Steve

It's kind of a broad term actually. It means that they'll replace the Aorta from valve to arch if necessary, to replace the damaged area. They may not have to do the whole thing, but they can if they have too.

Hi Ross

Hi Ross

Thanks,
You have a pretty day there like i have here in Mansfield? I remember now one of the reasons I don't love this time of the year. Seems like it stays a constant color of "gloomy" forever!

Oh I know. It affected my mood so badly last night. I often wonder how we make it till April. I get even worse when the white junk starts flying and it's gray.

White junks is right. I DO NOT like it. Anyway, going to take a trip toward your part of the country today and visit Amish country to stock up on some cheese for Thanksgiving. See ya later.
Steve

I had some dacron to fix up my aorta as well. Mine was dialated.
It means a life time of low dose aspirin. Not an inconvenience, but it did kind of negate my choice to go with a tissue valve, since I'm on a blood thinner anyway. It's not coumadin, but one of the reasons I went with a tissue valve was because it usually does not require blood thinners of any sort.

I have not noticed much of a difference with the dacron in there. It might not be as hemodynamically sound, but it has not caused any real notable differences for me.
Kev

Hi Fisher,

The aortic root is where the aorta exits the heart, I believe. My wife had an aneurysm on her aortic root that dissected this summer, destroying the root, arch (the turn the aorta makes as it heads south) and branches (the feeders to the carotids that run off the arch). Before this all blew for her I barely knew what the aorta was shaped like, my knowledge grows day to day and I hope my descriptions here are accurate.

Best wishes and am glad to hear that your aneurysm has been found and will be repaired.

Latest posts

Back