Replacements for mitral valve

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

JenniferO

I am in need of mitral valve surgery in the very near future and while I am really hoping to find a surgeon who can do a repair, I feel the need to be informed about valve replacement options. I have read through the exhaustive thread started by Peter Easton on aortic valve replacements and though some of the same general considerations apply to mitral valve as well, I am particularly wondering about tissue valve replacements in the mitral position. I understand that tissue valves do not last as long in the mitral position as in the aortic. I really hate the Coumadin idea, despite the fact that many here seem to have no problem with it. I also am extremely sensitive to noises and fear the ticking of a mechanical valve just might drive me insane!

Has anyone done much research on the issue of tissue valves. I have met with Donald Doty here in Salt Lake City who is one of the few surgeons in the nation who can and will install a homograft in the mitral position, although he cautions that it may only last 7-10 years. A cardiologist mentioned something to me the other day about looking into the Medtronic Mosaic porcine valve. Then, I guess there are bovine valves?

I'll be embarking on my own research, but just to get started, I thought I'd ask about the collective knowledge here.

Jennifer

Hi Jennifer - sorry you are going to have to have surgery - but you have found a site that iscaring and supportive, as well as informative. They will be along soon. Have you tried going into www.about.com ? There is a site in there labeled cardiology/heart disease - Dr Richard Fogoros. Dr Rich is an Electrophysiologist, MD, Cardio, teacher, lecturer, author etc and he can give you lots of info - no advice as it's against the law for him to do that, but his info is so good. He may have even written an article on the subject you are researching. Good luck to you and stick around to ask anything you like. God bless

Welcome

Welcome

Jennifer,

First of all, I'd like to join others in welcoming you to VR.com.

Did you check out all the "heart links" on this site's homepage? There's a lot of good information / links there from specifics on valve types to warfarin info provided by our site's own pharmicist member, Al Lodwick. I betcha he can answer the menopause question.

You are definitely on the right track by doing a lot of research. While the process is a challenge, you will be so much better off after it's over, recover faster, etc. I wasn't so fortunate to know vr.com prior to my mountain climb in April 2000.

I also went to insurance hell after surgery and should have become more insurance savvy in the beginning. (I conclude that it's not people's health or well being that insurance companys, and even employers, are in business for. Their primary objective is to get out of paying for it!) I saw your post title "out of network" and it made me want to...well, anyway DO YOUR RESEARCH and BE PERSISTENT. You may unwillingly participate in killing a few trees as the paper trail will be enough to fill a truck, nevertheless just do it!

Best regards.

Last edited:
St.Jude not that bad

St.Jude not that bad

Hi Jennifer, How old are you? I was 72 in 1998 when I had a non silzone pyrolytic bileaflet carbon valve put in to replace my beat up mitral valve. I can't hear the thing at all anymore except sometimes in the middle of the night lying on my left side. As far as Coumadin problems there have been none since I began to self regulate with the help of the little Coaguchek monitor.Its easy and even sort of fun to try and keep that INR right on 3.0 I hope this helps in making your final decision. Or you can do what I did and leave it up to surgeon you can trust.....

Marty:

I am 50 years old next week, so I am in that middle ground where it's hard to choose between gambling that when a tissue valve fails there might be better valve choices that don't require blood thinning or taking the artificial valve in the hope I won't require surgery but planning on blood thinners (Coumadin or otherwise) for the next 20-30 years.

Jennifer

Hi Jennifer-

Forgot to mention this before. When you're doing your research which is so important, give some thought to the risks of additional open heart surgeries. Each one becomes more difficult because of adhesions and scar tissue. As you age, the body doesn't bounce back like it does when you have youth on your side. That would be an important issue to go over with your surgeon.

Last edited:
Bio vs. mechanical?

Bio vs. mechanical?

Jennifer, My friendly advice to a daughter would be- go St Jude mechanical.. You are young and have a long way to go. Some bio valves go 15+ years now and they are getting better. But check with your surgeon about the ones that sometimes don't even go 5! I researched mitral valve homografts. Don't go there.

mitral valves

mitral valves

Jennifer, Nobody can tell you what kind of Valve to get, that is a very personal decisions. I went with a CE bovine pericardial bioprosthetic heart valve. My surgeon, Dr. Edward Verrier, highly recommended them. I don't like the fact that if I bruise, I might not stop internally bleeding until I bleed to death. I don't like having to change my lifestyle that much. I don't mind having additional surgeries, because I trust my doctor's opinions. ALL OF THEM. St. Jude Mechanicals have problems too. If you read Myrtle McCombe's personal story, she died because her valve stopped ticking about two months after she had the surgery. It's a personal choice, that only you can make. Anyways, feel free to send a private message to me, but I recommend you talk to your cardiologist. They'll be the one to recommend. Good luck on your decision.

To Joy: Re : Valve choice.

To Joy: Re : Valve choice.

Joy, I think I know where you are coming from. I was 72 when I had my mitral valve replaced.I was happy to get a mechanical since I don't want more surgery if I can help it. Also old folks expect to take medicines and we no longer try to lead an "active" life style that so many young folks do. Not too long ago I was in a meeting with a 50 year old heart surgeon and he said if he needed a mitral valve replacement he would opt for the same valve you did- and expect reoperation about age 60 to 65.Being on Coumadin did not appeal to him either.

Back