? regarding aortic regurgatation

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

richie rich

Hi everyone

I am looking for some imput in regard to aortic regurgatation. It seems that many aortic vavle replacements are due to stenosis. I am curious to know which valve you chose. Has anyone on this board with AVR had the Ross Procedure done. I was told that the ideal candiate for the Ross is someone with stenosis and not regurg. This is due to the tissue shrinking more easily on regurg. patients.
I have trace regurgatation in my mitral and triscupid vavles and severe in my aortic. I need to replace the aortic. Does anyone have any expirience with multiple valves regurgatating and then after surgery discovering that the leaking in the other valves stopped or got worse after surgery.

Thanks
Rich

So there's stenosis, in other words, the valve narrows and doesn't open far enough. But the heart still tries to pump the blood through. Since the valve isn't open enough, the blood can't get through, and pressure builds up. That impacts down the line, and next in line for backflow is the mitral valve.
So I got a new aortic St. Jude, and repair on the mitral valve which had suffered from the aortic problems. In addition, what did make it through my old aortic valve was sort of squirting out (small hole with big pressure behind it), so I got repair on my aorta as well.
These are probably pretty common side issues of the valve replacement.

Hey Rich
I had severe to profound stenosis and severe regurgitation of my aortic valve and got the Ross Procedure. My cardio never indicated that regurg was a prohibition to the RP.
Right now I have a slight flow murmur across the new pulmonic valve, other wise everything is normal. No regurgitation on any other valves.

If your cardio and the surgeon both agree you are a good candidate for the RP go with that. There is a difference between being well informed and second guessing. Second guessing everything just stresses you out. Being well informed can relieve some of your anxiety.

No surgery can be guaranteed 100%.
No matter which valve you chose you can't go wrong. Pick the one you want.
-Mara

Hey Rich

Hey Rich

If you decide to go with the RP be sure and do your homework on the surgeon. As I was informed last year when I was going to have to make the decision, there is a learning curve with this procedure. You would want one who has a few of these under his belt. And remember always to have a backup plan in place before surgery just in case.

Good luck with your decision and let us know what you decide.

Latest posts

Back