Quick Question

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

kevin21

Haven't been able to find a few things out that I'd like to know.

1. Coumadin, how often do you test this, and is it through a prick or a needle in the arm?

2. INR, what does this stand for, I can't seem to find a definition.

3. Can you drink beer or other alcohol after (way after recovery) valve replacement? When you are on coumadin?

4. Diet, what can't you eat??? (btw, I don't like veggies anyways)

5. Do you usually lose weight when you have surgery? I could stand to lose some pounds.!!

I'm currently researching this myself, but I'm busy today and thought you guys could help out. Thanks!!!

warfarinfo.com

warfarinfo.com

Kevin, Hit Al Lodwicks website and answers to your questions are all there I also bought his book and still find it useful four years post op.

Can't answer too many of your questions. I had a repair so I can answer the surgery question - you will lose some weight. Food tastes yucky for several days, maybe weeks. Of course, the food does regain its flavor, but by that time, I had cut back on the amount I ate. I lost 12 pounds and that's been almost 4 mos. since my surgery. I used to have a Margarita when we ate Mexican food on Friday night, but I haven't resumed that ritual. I've found that I don't really miss it, so why drink it? Can't do without my Mexican food, though. I figure that's bad enough so why compound it with alcohol? Best of luck to you in finding the answers to your questions. Everyone here is so helpful. You'll find out what you need to know....

1. Every day, then every other day, then once a week, then twice a week, perhaps even only once a month. Once a week seems the best.
2. INR is supposed to be the ratio that can be compared between various tests. Normal people are below 1.0. Valvers want to be somewhere in the 2.0 - 4.0 range. Bleeders are much higher.
3. Talk to your doctor about alcohol. Consistency is the key. Some say they consistently have two drinks, or whatever. Someone told me early on the having a beer was roughly equivalent to an extra 1/4 mg of coumadin, that is, rather insignificant. But the alcohol might not mix with other medications very well, such as pain killers. I found a 12-pack of Sam Adams specialty beers last Friday; they're very enjoyable; even the Lite Sam Adams doesn't taste too bad.
4. Dark green leafy vegetables like spinach and brocoli. Head lettuce is acceptable, along with many other veggies.
5. My weight change was all water related. I gained plenty of water before surgery, since it was heavily into congestive heart failure. I lost that weight with lasix. Then they pumped gallons of fluid into me for surgery, and I lost that in the next few weeks.

Latest posts

Back