Question!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Creed3

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
When I was in the Er the other day, the doctor checked my INR and did some other blood work. My INR was a little low, so he increased me a little. He also said that I was a little anemic and that my wbc count was up a little. He said that I need to be very careful of infection not settling into the valve. If that happens he said that they have to take the valve out. He scared me to death. Is it normal for your wbc count to go up a little? My family doc said that there is no infection. Is it possible that your body will reject the valve? The Er doc also said that you have to be careful no matter what mechanical piece you have in your body, (valve, hip replacement etc...). Does life ever get back to normal?:(
I miss not being able to hold my baby and play more with my 3 year old. I have to be sooo careful. Everyone tells me that that will all pass and get better as I heal, but it feels like I will never be back to normal. I guess today is one of those downer days for me. Sorry if I'm complaining too much.
I hope everyone else is doing well and take care!:D

Creed3

If it helps you any, I'm always running a higher WBC then normal, even when I have no infections, the count is elavated. I think some of us just plain operate this way. I've never heard of a body rejecting a valve. It is true that if an infection sets in on the valve, it will have to be replaced. I just got off of 6 weeks worth of IV Vancomycin due to a staph infection, that I picked up off of an IV line in the hospital.

Life does get back to ALMOST normal, though it seems never quite the same. You'll do fine. Don't worry too much. If you feel that your coming down with something, get to your Doc right away, so that you can be started on antibiotics asap to minimize the chances of infecting the valve.

Have they given you any answer as to why your slightly anemic?

Hi Creed-

You will always have to be aware of your health. That's not such a bad thing. People with valve replacements have to be seen by a doctor or the ER much earlier than an ordinary person (if there are any, LOL), in my opinion.

I make Joe go early on because he's had some very weird things happen and they came on fast. His doctors are all aware of possible valve infections, and even infections in his pacemaker. I also asked if there were rejection problems with his valves. But that doesn't seem to be any concern at all with his doctors. They are always more concerned with valve infection.

He tends to be anemic also. He has hemolytic anemia. He has a very old valve, plus a newer St. Jude. The old one is notorious for chopping up blood cells. The other mechanicals can do it also, but not to such an extent. He'll be on Folic acid for life.

Valvers are special people. You guys and gals have solid gold hearts.

Take care and be well.

Last edited:
Ross

Ross

The Er doc said thatthe anemia could be from just having had the surgery. He also said that the mechanical valve can also cause some anemia. Thanks Again for your support.
Take Care!
Creed3

I was anemic after my surgery simply because of blood loss. I was put on iron, but told I could get off of it after a few weeks because the blood would be back to "normal." I wouldn't be too worried about the anemia, but you might talk to your doc about iron pills until it goes up.

Hi! I just read your thread, and was wondering what date was your surgery on? I see it was last month, and I have a three year old and a one year old. I had my surgery august 27th of last year, and trust me, I missed holding my baby(who was three months old at the time) and having to be careful when I played with my three year old, but life does get back to normal. I know I am not on coumadin, I have a tissue valve,but in a couple of months although you will have to be careful for a while, you can play with your baby and three year old. It does get batter, trust me. I've been there! Take it easy until then, alright? If you need to talk, my email is [email protected]. e-mail me anytime, alright?

I agree; you'll get back to feeling much better, given time, and you'll be playing with your children like before; how can you resist?
My surgery was almost a year ago, and I feel so much better. Today I wanted to make a point, and for some reason or another I hit myself in my chest -- believe me I would NOT have done that a month after surgery!
Back when my oldest son was still a toddler (two decades ago), I cut my finger at work, and had a dozen stitches. I was playing with him a day or two later, down on my hands and knees. He happened to step on my finger, and through the ceiling I went. I recovered from that, and from the open heart.
I firmly believe that three years of age is the best time of life...

hi creed!
i remember that joey was anemic for a few months after his surgery. it really took him quite awhile to get back to normal.
we just had to be very patient because his recovery seemed slower than we had anticipated. just try and take it easy and it will all get easier in a matter of time. i suspect that the more you let your body heal, the sooner it will get stronger.
joey is feeling really well and runs more now than he did presurgery! so, in time this will pass and get easier.
i know how you must be feeling about wanting to hold your little ones... can you get down on the floor and hold them in your lap?
wishing you a speedy recovery. all the best, sylvia

Hi Creed,

I can understand your frustration in not being back to your old self. Honestly, it took me 3 months before I felt I ws seeing light at the end of the tunnel. There were so many issues that kept coming up and new and unexpected things to deal with! You will make it! Just relax and give yourself time to heal!

Your statement about the infections around the valve is encouraging me to ask this question of our experienced friends. I now have my first cold/bronchitis infection since my valve replacement. Are these kinds of infections prone to produce bacterial endocarditis around the valve? I understand about the risks associated with the dental procedures, but the doctor didn't mention there being a risk with respiratory infections. In the past, I rarely ever went to the doctor with bronchitis....I just wait it out. Even though I am sure an antibiotic could help with the infection. You know....coughing up the "Green stuff!" Any insight would help!

Kim

A few weeks ago I had called my card's office about my INR. While on the phone I started to cough a little (the beginnings of an URI). The PA told me I should try to get in to the doctor and get onto antibiotics. They really take the least little illness seriosly with us valvers, because the risk is high at getting bacterial endocarditus. I've always been high risk, but it seemed to me like they are a little more concerned because of the valve. Or I could just be reading their reactions wrong...

I'd suggest getting in to the doctor and not waiting it out.

When to see the Dr. for Antibiotics

When to see the Dr. for Antibiotics

Niki, Creed3 & Kim,

My cardio has given me instructions to get my little 'ole self into a Drs. office anytime I run a fever. PERIOD. I asked him...what do you consider a fever? He said anything over 100-101. Fever is usually the best indicator of some sort of bacterial infection. Of course viral infections cause fever too, but it's best to let the professionals decide whether or not antibiotics are needed.

None of my doctors seem worried about a cold or the "normal" upper respitory infections that get passed around during the winter. Influenza is another story altogether.

All of us valvers, tissue and mechanical, repair or replacement, should get a flu shot every year, unless there is a very good medical reason not to.

Of course, each of us should check with all of our doctors as to what they want us to do. Each of us has a different medical history and different risk factors.

Hope this helps somewhat.

Last edited:
Hi guys, my colds rarely ever get full blown any more, since my surgery, but before, they used to last for months, and nothing would make them go away. Usually I sneeze a couple of time, and I feel it coming on, but it never gets full blown. I never feel the whole effects of the "crap." I can't get the flu shot, or else I will end up with hives or other worst things, which are horrible! I am allergic to eggs. Take it easy, and i hope you feel better!

Fever

Fever

Thanks for all the input. You guys answered alot of questions for me. I was going to ask my doc if I should get the flu shot and also the pneumonia shot. I wasn't sure about the viral vs the bacteria types of sickness. I thought that it was the bacterial they were more concerned about. My 3 year old just came down with a fever this evening. I know with my two little ones I will be encountering alot of illnesses in the years to come. Thanks Again!

Creed3

Joy

Joy

Joy,

That egg allergy thingy is just what I meant when I said that "unless there's a good medical reason." :)

Take care.

Kristy, I did get my pnuemovax, however, is that yearly? Or is it just once and you don't have to worry about it again?

Kim go to the Doc and get some antibiotics if it's truly bronchitis. Ask him/her about Avelox. 5 day dose and it's history.

Fast-acting and reliable, Avelox® (moxifloxacin hydrochloride, a flouroquinolone) is a new synthetic broad-spectrum antibacterial agent that has been approved for safe and effective treatment of respiratory tract infections (RTIs) in adults 18 years of age and older. With its wide spectrum of activity covering common community respiratory pathogens, Avelox® is highly active against a wide range of gram-positive and gram-negative microorganisms, anaerobes, acid-fast bacteria, and atypicals (such as Chlamydia, Mycoplasma and Legionella) that are associated with Acute Sinusitis (AS), Acute Exacerbation of Chronic Bronchitis (AECB), and Community-Acquired Pneumonia (CAP).

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back