question about flying

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lynnconnolly

Hi all, does anyone know if there's any restrictions on short haul flying with aortic stenosis and regurgitation and mitral regurgitation? I am intending to ask my gp but there's some flights to Spain on the net tonight at very low prices, so if the answer seems to be a general 'yeah it'll be fine', then I might well book them. It's less than two hours to Spain from the UK.

Thanks all in advance of your advice :) Lynn

was permitted to fly when I had moderate to severe mitral regurg.
We Love Spain and had some wonderful vacations there. It would do you a world of good!

I had severe mitral regurgitation and moderate aortic regurgitation and had to fly to get to the hospital where I was having my OHS. Make sure you have good travel insurance though, you might need to get special insurance, perhaps though one of the companies listed on the BHF site. Don't forget that most companies will not pay up for pre-existing conditions. If you are taken ill and need an air ambulance to the UK it will not be cheap.

Flying

Flying

I don't believe you should have any problem. I flew to Mexico for a week of golf the week for my surgery in March 2007. The flight presented no health problems for me.

The only concern my surgeon had about my trip to Mexico just prior to surgery was the availability of quality medical services in Mexico. My aneurysm was at 5.8 cm. When I asked him about how long I would last if my aortic aneurysm blew I think he realized that my odds of surviving a blown aneurysm would not be any less in Mexico than my odds in the small, rural mountain community in which I live.

-Philip

I had severe mitral regurgitation for 22 years. I flew lots during that time all over the US and to Canada and Mexico - the longest trip about 5 hours. I was never told not to fly and never had any problems with it.

We was told Curtis could fly for no more than 4 hours, that was before he was put on medication so don't know at the minute. You may need a fit to fly letter from your consultant, so best to check first.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I totally forgot to ask my gp this morning! But it sounds like the general opinion is that it'd be ok - with caution - so thanks again :D

Latest posts

Back