pylori bacteria/antobiotics

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

Mb

Hello all!

Amonst the many things we discussed with my husbands PCP last Friday, was the fact that he had tested positive for that pylori bacteria that causes stomach upset. The Dr.' finally has decided to try to do something about it, since the surgery is now 6 months gone. Wayne suffers from terrible indigestion, bloating, pressure from the stomach up through the chest after he eats. Often he is up many times in the night, drinking milk. He has been on meds for over a year for it. They called in GERD initially. I understand that it is also a symptom of the tricuspid valve leaking, which he was recently dx'd with.

He must take amoxicillin for 12 days, plus the prevacid that he currently takes.

The Dr. is going to watch his INR carefully.

Does anyone have any input on this?

Marybeth

Hi Marybeth

Sorry you husband if struggling with the 'reflux'. Shortly after my MVR I found myself in the ER with chest pain. Initially all I could think about was my heart.

Turned out to be reflux, gerd, etc. I had an Upper GI that confirmed this. I exhibited no such symptoms prior to my MVR. The trauma from the surgery, tubes, and whatever else was inserted, etc. 'Could' have damaged the little flap at the end of the esophagus. Medication was also noted as a culprit.

Milk helps a lot. I drink a glass with almost every meal when I can. If it's real bad I take Ripoan plus. Which is an OTC liquid antacid recommended by my doctor. When we take our meds we should drink a full glass of water to wash it down.

Keep us posted

Hi Marybeth-

Joe had a small ulcer several years back. He was put on antibiotics and then on Prevacid. It worked like a charm. He can even eat hot peppers without any problems. Right now, though he has gallbladder spasms which are causing him lots of pain and indigestion, but he no longer has the ulcer.

Whoa you guys!! Milk???? Milk is one of the worse things you can do for an ulcer or GERD! Full glass of water is a good idea though.

As for the h.pylori bacteria... a friend of mine went through the therapy for this...she had the same symptoms. She was on a high-powered antibiotic that initially made her feel very sick. She said it was a case of the cure being worse than the disease.

Good luck to your husband Marybeth!

Take care,
Zazzy

Latest posts

Back