PVR and Tricuspid Annuloplasty

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
V

vlamus

First post....here goes.

I have some significant cardiac hx, being born a "blue baby" and having heart surgery when I was 17mo and 7yo. So long ago. The problem is, thought everything was "fixed" and went on with my life. Well, I am now being rec. to have a PVR with the Tricuspid Annuloplasty in the next 3 months (by Mayo's) and I just don't know what to think about this. I live in a fairly large city, and my cardio's here just don't know enough about my condition...so thus, not much talk on the matter and seem to defer to Mayo's as being the experts. Also, I'm single and just don't have much support emotionally in dealing with this big decision. Anyone else had this done? Sounds like most of you have had AVR.
My second question, any of you RN's/MD's that have gone through surgery? I'm a nurse and frankly I think knowing "too much" adds to the anxiety of having major surgery. I remember suctioning all those ET tubes....scary thought having one in yourself!:eek:
My basic mindset is that what I've been dealt is congential heart disease and I need to get on with it, and deal with it. But folks, this is frightening.

Thanks for listening. Vlamus

Vlamus,

I am an RN and had an AVR 12/4.

I did have some anxious moments. Mostly, I was too sedated to care in ICU. I did get nervous on the vent when they gave me an RN who was orienting but really he took care of me so much better than the others! He was the first one to get me pen and paper to write my questions and he kept me very updated.

That seemed to be my experience that they knew I was a nurse and gave me all the info I needed. Even when things went wrong and I knew it, they were so reassuring that I was ok.

To tell you the truth, I am having more problems with post op stuff. Management of my Coumadin and making sure I am getting the standards of care post valve replacement.

I know this is a difficult time for you and I hope you use this group for support. Even though I am married and have a family, I found most of my support on this site. It makes a difference talking to those who have been there.

Stay in touch,
Donna

Hi Vlamus-

Welcome to this terrific site. It's a wonderful support group. You'll find the people here so kind and caring, and we all "get it" when it comes to this surgery and other heart problems.

My husband is the patient here, and he's been through mountains of medical things, 3 valve surgeries, 2 lung surgeries, a pacemaker, plus some really bad medical problems. He's in the hospital and has been for 3 weeks now to try to get his CHF and pulmonary hypertension under control, prior to that he he was in Class 4 CHF and fading fast. But he's coming along. He still has a ways to go, but is improving. There are several others on the site who can match him, too.

He's been in life threatening situations several times. Not that you will ever have these problems, but I want you to know that the human body can recover from the most serious problems.

I'm not going to give you my little speech about the care you will be getting. You already know from your work that the ICU will be manned by the greatest people, and they will watch you like a hawk, one on one or close to it. You will, of course, pick the best surgeon for yourself because you know how they operate.

What we're about here is getting you through the surgery. It's necessary for your life, so it's a must. Everyone is scared when they first find out they need to have heart surgery.

Surprisingly, most people say that the pain is a lot less than they imagined, and it was more uncomfortable than anything else. But I'll let the actual patients talk about that. Judging from what my husband has been through, it's very doable, a little hard, but doable.

So stick with us and you'll find lots of answers to your questions. There is so much information on this site that it will take you a long time to read the posts. You should try to read a lot of them. Knowledge is power and it also reduces your anxiety.

Best wishes, and I hope to see you here often.

Welcome Vlamus,
I'm clergy, so I've been in many hospital rooms, ICU, etc. When I went through the surgery myself, it seemed to relax me, since I'd seen all this stuff before, knew what it was for, and pretty much ignored it.
Be sure to check out the personal stories section, which you can access from the home page (click the yellow ValveReplacement.com above); these are organized according to what kind of problems. There's more than one on this site who has had heart problems for life.

Thanks Donna, Nancy and Jim for the replies. This is a great site, and always helpful to talk to other.

Donna, You are right about those RN's that are in orientation. They are usually watched like a hawk and too nervous to mess up. My luck, I'll have a surgeon or resident who's orienting:eek: One of my biggest fears is that darn ET tube. I know pain meds are great these days, but working in the ICU I remember some pts just fought the tube all the time...and of course the suctioning. I'll just be praying I'll be so zonked from all the meds I'll sleep through it...which I know some people do.

Nancy, you sound like a true gem. Joe is so lucky to have a spouse that is so actively involved learning about all that is going on and being there for him. Being in healthcare I have seen some sig. others just shut down/tune out. Sounds like both you and Joe are troopers. With my upcoming surgery being #3, I guess Joe has me beat.

Jim, You are probably right. My knowledge of healthcare may just make it that much easier. So much of all the tubes and alarms are routine, and for the lay person this can be very scary.

I'll try and keep everyone posted ..thanks again.

I know you don't like the suctioning and didn't like doing, but-----just think, if they didn't do the suctioning. Ask Ross what he thinks about that. He had some problems regarding not suctioning enough. Pretty bad feeling. So have a little "talkie" with some of the ICU nurses and have them clean out your tubes regularly.

Make sure someone gives you a pad and pencil so you can write questions when you have the tube n.

Just an update folks (as I posted under "small talk"). I'm heading off to Mayo's this week for the PVR (on 2/20) and whatever else they need to do to get me up and on with my life. My nerves have calmed down and I'm now in a healthy mindset to let the experts take over and do what they do best. Of course I'd be lying to say I'm not frightened, but what good does it do to let the fear take over....so, I just let it happen when it does then let it go. If that makes any sense. I have a very supportive family, friends and co-workers, that has made the whole process that much easier. Also, wanted to thank the board for being there. you guys are great!
Off on my adventure............vlamus

Back