Prominent Aortic Root?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big_L

I just received my copy of my cath/angiogram. Very pleased with all the "free of any disease" statements:). The text 'prominent aortic root' concerns me. My last two echos showed aortic root of 3.5 and 3.3 cm. The Mayo cardio mentioned the aortic root, first time anyone had.

I really want to get in and out with just a new valve. What does "prominent" mean? Are my root numbers unusual?

Thanks

My understanding is that 3.5 and 3.3 are "normal". "Prominent" may mean it is significantly larger than that. If your root is anywhere near 5.0 cm it would be wise to get it taken care of when the valve is replaced. Why put yourself through another OHS. I have the ON-X valve with the attached aortic graft, plus additional graft material to repair my arch. St. Jude makes a mechanical valve with attached graft. My surgery was lengthy and complicated and took place a month before my 57th birthday. I am doing just fine 5 months post-op.:smile2:

Last edited:
I did discuss the words "prominent aortic root" with my cardio yesterday. He doesn't think there's anything there to worry about, but he wanted to surgeon to note this. I really hope I just need the valve.

Latest posts

Back