Pre-Post surgery tips

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DickV

Aimee, I have moved these to the SO forum. For those who have "been there" as a patient or SO, please feel free to add to these.

The following are Dick?s recommendations for anyone fixing to undergo a valve or valve/graft procedure.

1) Don?t be afraid to make a commotion if you believe you are not getting enough good, reliable, correct information from your doctors regarding any aspects of your treatment or condition. They have zillions of patients. You have you.

2) Keep very good medical records.

3) After you get home from the hospital, get plenty of rest but remain active. I did this by not taking any meals in bed. I would drag my butt out of bed and eat all meals at the table.

4) If you are in real pain, take the pain medication. Don?t try to be a hero. The pain goes away soon enough. The less pain and discomfort you have, the more rest you will get.

5) Walk, walk and walk. Every day I would walk a little more. First in the house, then down the driveway, then down the street and in a few weeks, I was doing the snail?s pace through the neighborhood. Your stamina in these walks is a good gauge in measuring your recovery.

6) At the 5 or 6 week level, when the doctor says you can drive, get in the car and drive somewhere, even if it is around the block. It is a right-of-passage and the beginning of a new phase of recovery.

7) Be patient on the recovery. Much of it is left to Mother Nature and over time, she will work her magic.

8) After you are feeling better, start trying to pay back all of the kindness and favors your friend and family bestowed on you. It is the least you can do.

9) After you have undergone ?the experience,? share what you have learned with others on this board to try to make their passage a little smoother as others have tried to do for you.

10) Don?t complain. Nobody likes a whiner. It has been proven in clinical tests that your loved ones can both feel sorry for you and want to kill you all at the same time. Suck it up and be thankful you are still above ground.

11) Last but not least, after your surgery, you will be warmly welcomed to the other side. You are now in a very special group of people here at VR.com.

To All

To All

I would like to add a couple of items to Dick's suggestions;

First, Your mental attitude is more important than you realize. Having a positive attitude towards your procedure and the outcome are very important to you and your recovery, much less the stress of your loved ones. Yes, they are there to support you, but I believe that if you are extreamly upset and nervous...they will be less compfortable than you need them to be.

Second, Have faith. ;) Lean on your SO. They will be the strength that you need when you need it.

Lastly, Ask all the questions you can to those who have been through OHS, and as Dick said... Pass your experiences on to other facing OHS after you have crossed to the other side of the Mountain.

God Bless,

Ben Smith

Dick, you just crack me up!! Your stuff makes so much SENSE. What is it with you?? Here are Mindys Tips for Quick Recovery:

Milk it for all its worth.

Whine. Alot.

Ask for foods that are difficult to obtain. Tabouli. Lamb gyros.

Dont drive. Someone will get you there.

Dont lift over 5 lbs for 2 years.

Dont ever vacuum, or mow.

Keep your sense of humor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:p

Mindy, great stuff. Much closer to real life.

How about

Don't sneeze for a year.

Dick!
funny you should mention sneezing!! sometimes when i sneeze it starts my SVT. my doc thinks this is just too bizarre, but it is true! wish i could sneeze again and make it stop!! it doesnt last long any more, since my ablation.... but THATS another story!
mindy

i'm new here.sooooooowhatsa SVT

i'm new here.sooooooowhatsa SVT

i'm sherrie, my husband David is my SO. i think thats the nicest thing i ever called him ;) . heres our story...he had rhumatic fever as a child, left him with heart murmur - 1980 married (David 28 yrs/ me 22 much younger) - 1983 he got endocarditus, was misdiagnosed as flu, his odds 20% ...that is to live :eek: well he did it! got 2 pig aortic & mitral valves (dont know why they did pig valves but he enjoyed them for 18 years, but thats another story - 10/2001 the other story...he had a tee drs said everything ok, no surgery needed, 3 weeks later pig valves went bad very very bad. he worked all day, was in icu that night. said he had pnuemonia for first few hours, but he knew it was the valves, he was in chf. again odds were :( bad. mitral valve actually broke before he could get into surgery! but into surgery & out with 2 brand new (should be gold for 4 grand ea...i'm not complaining) St Jude valves. Surgery was 10/13/2001, after surgery everything looks great. he knows the drill.
i just want people to be aware the pig valves can last a long time, dont want to scare anyone, just be aware they can go rather quickly. if anyone wants more info, just let me know. thanks for listening :D

Here's one you forgot to put on. Don't let your SO go to the first post-op doctor visit, especially if the cario tells you you are "normal" then none of those other great excuses will ever work. I have tried the "no lifting" "no vacuuming" "I am a heart patient" ones and David was there to hear the cardio say I was "normal" and not to consider myself a heart patient anymore. BIG MISTAKE on my part, no all my sympathy is gone!I only wish I could get some of it back.....

My Tips... Phew!

My Tips... Phew!

Aimee?s list of Pre and Post surgery tips
(Hint: can be added to or changed according to S.O. And Patient)

Pre-Op Tips
1.Go to all the doctor?s appointments with your S.O. It?s easy to forget something and I always had too many questions when Kevin got home. He would always ?forget to ask or forget what the doc said?.

2.Be prepared for the worst outcome, BUT hope and pray for the BEST outcome.

3.Remain positive and upbeat for the patient. Never show how scared *&$tless you really are for them.

4.Research and Explore heart surgery and all the elements beforehand. Get yourself ready for what lies ahead for you and the most importantly, the patient.

Post-Op Tips

1.The first time you see the Patient in ICU after surgery will be devastating. The nurses will describe to you how he/she will look, add about 10 times BAD to that and then you will be ready. I was not fully prepared, even after they warned and warned and explained and explained. DUH!?
2.Bring Pillows and Blankets for your stay at the hospital. We got a private room and I ended up giving Kevin all my pillows and all my blankets. The supply was endless, yet I had none for myself. Think ahead!
3.Think about yourself too. Don?t forget things that you use on a daily/weekly/monthly basis. The hospital gift shop is great if you are in a pinch, but take it from me? THEY OVERCHARGE YOU FOR EVERYTHING. (Women still menstruating? Tampons/Pads!!!) Sorry guys!
4.Entertainment for both you and the patient. Crosswords, Search the Words, Coloring books, you name it-Bring it! You can grow really bored!
5.Get ready to play nurse! Nursing was not my line of work. I think that after the stay in the hospital I could add Nurse to Heart Patient after my name. I earned a whole new degree after that!
6. Everything is a FIRST after you have heart surgery. First Pee, First Poop, First Bath, First Walk, First Chair Sitting, First Meal, First EVERYTHING! Be prepared to HELP out with everything for awhile.
7.Love-Never stop loving your S.O. Just let them know and feel how much you love them and support them. Things always blossom in love!
8.Good Luck to you and the S.O. Things will work out fine! Doctors these days are miracle workers! Think happy thoughts!!!
9.Join a website as GREAT as this one. Get involved with others that have S.O. that have had heart surgery or have had it themselves. Life is GREATER with friends like these!

Latest posts

Back