Post-surgery wardrobe and comfort items in the hospital

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

JenniferO

On a really practical note as I try to determine what to pack to take with me to Cleveland, I need advice on what kinds of clothes you are able to wear post surgery.

It sounds like it may be difficult to pull things over your head, etc. and I understand that a certain article of clothing we women normally wear might not be comfortable for a time because of pressure on the incision.

I have never been hospitalized before, but I assume that while you are in the hospital, you are limited to those damned drafty hospital gowns. Any suggestions for anything you would recommend taking to the hospital for comfort whether items of clothing or otherwise?

I'd be grateful for any advice, since we may be staying around Cleveland for a few days after I am discharged from the hospital.

Jennifer

Good luck

Good luck

Wishing you all the very best for your surgery and looking forward to hearing that you are making a really good recovery.

I had no problem wearing a bra once I was moving about - front fastening and a bit looser than I would normally wear.

Good luck:)

If you can find a front hook sleep bra (not exercise bra), get one. It is very soft and keeps things where they belong, allowing no pull on the incision. Use front buttoning things 24/7 for a time after surgery. In hospital, you may be stuck w/those gowns, but don't see why you shouldn't be able to take something of your own as long as the staff can get to the stapled areas easily. You will be taking pain med, so you may not even care what you wear for a few days. The very MOST important thing is your little pillow. They may provide, but you could always take your own. Be sure to carry it everywhere, including bathroom. They gave me one. Keep your forefinger on ready at all times to press above upper lip below nose to stave off sneezes, as they somehow work their way into the recuperation time.

Hi JenniferO,

In preparation for the hospital I did bring my own robe and slippers. I didn't bring any gowns because I figured if the gowns ended up getting soiled from blood etc, it was better it was on their gowns not mine. A front open bra was a must for me. It hurt too much not to have some support, but a rear closing bra was too binding. I could unhook the bra partially when it was in the front, if my incision starting bothering me. When I went home I did where loose fitting sweatshirts (but nothing with appliques), front opening tops and sweat pants. I think I lived in sweat pants a few months!
I brought books, magazines, crossword puzzles to the hospital that I never even opened. I found it difiicult to even hold a book up. I didn't have a walkman but that would be a good thing to have. If they don't give you a pillow have someone from home bring you a small one. It helps so much with the coughs and sneezes. I carried my heart shaped pillow around everywhere.
I hope I've managed to give you some help. Best of luck!

Thanks for the tips. It sounds pretty simple and straightforward.

I made the rounds of post-holiday sales yesterday picking up front closing fleece tops since my biggest fear is being cold, particularly in the hospital. Not sure how the clothing will work with IVs etc. though. I did buy a new fleece robe in a really great raspberry color to cheer me up.

The walkman is a must and I am taking both my CD model and my cassette tape model.

Guess I'll pare down on the reading material.

If anything else comes to mind, let me know.

Jennifer

Take the easiest things to wear and don't worry about being cold. If your cold, let the staff know and they will get you all the blankies and pillows you want. They even heated a blanket up for me!

I wore loose fitting top, sweat pants, slide on shoes, just the simple things really.

They give or gave a 2 piece gown. Bottoms (Which are always too big) and a Top piece which is rather large also, so don't hesitate to take something that would be easy for you to deal with during your stay. ;)

Reading Material?

Reading Material?

Jennifer,

I took along crossword puzzle books to do during my post op stay, but I found that I had the attention span of a gnat. I found that concentrating on anything for more than a couple minutes was very tiring.

Everyone is different though.

Last edited:
My favorite book right now is "My Grandfather's Blessings" by Rachel Remen. It is a collection of wonderful stories about the simple, important gifts in life and gives you much to think about. I gave the book to many on my Christmas list this season. Dr. Remen previously wrote "Kitchen Table Wisdom" which some may be familiar with as well. She is a doctor who now counsels cancer patients and also counsels doctors who become depressed or stressed in their work. Dr. Remen herself suffers from Crohn's disease. I highly recommend either of her books. Anyway, this is the only book I really planned to take as the stories bear many re-readings. These books are available in any public library collection if any of you are interested. I find them very comforting to read at bedtime.

I may look into taking a few books on tape since I'm going to have my walkmans with me.

Jennifer

Kristy's interpeatain of post op activites was a great. I had grand plans on catching up with my reading and watching my faviorate movies. Concentration level was not there. :(

Was able to sleep, something I usually lack. :eek:

PS. I also found as far as clothing....the only thing needed was robe and slippers for walks. Did not feel like too much more.

As for the 'No Rinse Shampoo' is not a great idea for individuals with longer or thick hair. Only made things hairy. Literally! Don't know who came up with that product. Something may want to reserve for your pets. Would rather wait for a good old fashioned shampoo. :)

Last edited:
Hi Jennifer-

Joe always found that he didn't like having dirty hair after a couple of days, so we found some waterless shampoo which you or someone who will help you, can squirt on your head and rub it in really well, and towel it off. It will leave your hair damp, and you'll have to probably do some minimal styling, but you'll feel fresher.

You can probably get it at the pharmacy. I know that our hospital gift shop stocks it, and I even think the nurses provided it at one point.

Joe's skin really got extremely dry in the hospital every time he was in, it was really flaking off. I don't know if that was from any of the meds, the dry air, or maybe even things used in the OR. Be sure to bring some heavy duty moisturizer, chap stick, and something to soften the soles of your feet and your hands.

For your family, they should have something like mints or hard candy available, because nerves can cause dry mouth, and I hate to mention this, but I found that Immodium was very handy, also Tylenol, Advil or aspirin for them. It's stressful waiting. Some moist towelettes for them to have handy are good also. I've always gone with an arsenal in my purse. Don't let them forget to bring some change for who knows what, maybe the soda machine, newspaper machine, etc. when the shops or cafeteria are closed.

Nancy, is that shampoo called No Rinse?
I remember that stuff well and still have some of it! I completely forgot about the needing the moisturizers-Thanks for the reminder!!!

Yes, you can get No Rinse Shampoo at just about any local pharmacy.

Nancy, your right about how much better you feel after using it.
I was a complete mess when I came out of it and started looking a lot like father time at that point. A much needed hair shampooing and facial shaving made a huge difference.

I still haven't figured out what caused the very dry skin. I think it has to be the meds. Woman, you brought back some memory there!:)

Hi Jennifer..Lots of good luck..you will be on the other side of that big Mountain very soon> A nice warm fleece robe sounds very cozy..bear in mind though..the hospitals are usually kept quite warm..maybe you should also bring something a bit lighter. The bra issue was very important to me..guys please donot continue to read any further please!!
IIt all depends how yyou are endowed..if you are a "little" or :full" In either case be sure that you don't use a "underwire" even if it opens in front..the damm wires will get you rright on the incision. I also found even though the back openings were a bit more difficult (although I had no trouble with it) the front opening also was right on the incision..and since it was either hard plastic or metal..it was uncomfortable. Also don't use a bra with a band..the lower part of the band seems to roll up again right on the incision. You can see I have really done a lot of homework on this subject..but I am one of those "well endowed" gals and had to do a lot of studying on the issue. The thing that worked and still wors best for me (and its been 3 months post op) was pulling the wire out of a old underwire bra..that has been a lifesaver for me.
I also found that all the timee that I thought I would have to read and read aand read.was wasted with lack of concentration and constant interuptions..stick to magazines and short stories..anything more involved was useless..and I was one of the lucky ones with no pumphead after effects. I would suggest a big supply of soft pillows on your bed afterwards at home..I snuggeled into my nest of pillows (and still do) I did get a recliner and used it only the first weeks..after that I foulnd the pillows worked for me.Of course you will need to keep your "heart pillow" close to you at all time..it will be your best buddy.
Please try and have someone post for you and keep us informed. I wish you a Healthy and Happy New Year.
Joan

Jennifer
I am weighing in a little late.
I got my front hook bra at a place that sells bras for mastectomy patients. I foudn that they had the best selection and were knowledgeable about what was needed post-op.

I stayed away from button up the from shirts because they irritated by incision. Nice comfy, roomy t-shirts and pull on shorts were it.

You will do fine!

-Mara

Latest posts

Back