Post-surgery back to work blahs

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

afraidofsurgery

I'm having the post-surgery back to work blahs.

I went back to work 6 1/2 weeks post surgery, just in time for the busy season. It's been non-stop, and while the work isn't physically demanding, I was hoping to have time to continue my daily walking somehow.

I'm also a single mom and come home to my "other" job most weekdays, and can't leave the house in the morning while my daughter sleeps to walk in the early am. I work 5 minutes from my health club, but have been hesitant to "take" my lunch hour since I'm a manager, it's crunch time at work, blah blah blah. At night I'm tired and want to sleep! Lots of excuses but really, I can't figure this out!:confused:

Anyone have any suggestions on how to fit your cardio rehab into a schedule-challenged patient's life? I'm going to the doc for my first post-surgery echo and I'm tempted to ask him to write me a rx or a note saying I HAVE to go walk at lunch so I won't feel guilty doing this! I haven't had formal cardiac rehab ordered and am going to ask about this. Not sure I need it but it might help me to get going on the exercise.

Feeling like a big blob,
Patty

Post Surgery Back to Work Blues

Post Surgery Back to Work Blues

Congratulations on your speedy recovery! I think it is really important to try to keep up the walking, and I would try to get that doctors note! I'm fortunate in that I do a lot of walking when at work. The trouble is that when I'm home I'm usually on duty for an Alzheimers patient. It is much like having a two year old, and I understand your dilema! I have a treadmill, and that really helps, though for the past year I haven't used it regularly. Don't let it get you down. There is a solution there. It may be a combination of walking at lunch some days, walking on a treadmill some, and going to the gym when you have coverage at home. We have to find a way! All the best, Brian

6.5 weeks is pretty soon to go back to a demanding job and have to be a single parent at the same time. You simply aren't ready for the stress you're shouldering. Any chance of working part-time? If not, you MUST make time for exercise; it's an integral part of recuperation. Your heart's recovery requires it. So if you need a medical rx to exercise on lunch hour, by all means get it. And get it soon. I just can't emphasize the importance of exercise enough.

Hang in there - this is tough.

And if you suspect you might be getting depressed (so common after ohs), get help for that, too.

Hi, I agree with the above, you need to somehow fit exercising into your day, I went a week recently without it and felt lousy, both physically and mentally. Any chance of having a treadmill at home that you could do a little in the morning and some after work? I also agree to get an RX from your doctor and definately get out of the office at lunch, even if you can just walk for 15 or 20 minutes.. Hope you can get it all figured out, just remember there is only one you!!!! Rose

Since treadmills are so expensive and take up so much space, I went to Walmart and got one of those walking DVD's for $10 and I like it even better. I can't remember the woman's name but she's not too annoying, there aren't alot of steps to learn (I'm way too much of a klutz for aerobics!:) ) and the mile long one is pretty doable even for someone 6+ weeks out of surgery. After the first time, I muted it and put on my own music (who wants to listen to cheery patter over and over again?). It takes 30 minutes and is almost fun. Depending on how old your kid is, s/he might even do it with you. Whatever you do, you really need to take care of yourself. Think of it this way, you'll be modeling good self-care for your child! Best of luck, Kate

Thanks for the encouragement

Thanks for the encouragement

Thanks everyone for the encouragement, glad to know I'm not the only one who thinks I'm suffering from lack of exercise and long work hours.

I appreciate all your suggestions! I go see the doc today and will ask him for help too. He's a great doc, I'm sure he'll pitch in on this one. I'll also feel like I have some ammunition asking for alternative work arrangements w/ a doctor's recommendation since they're pretty strict about work hours (much to my chagrin, I'm a total rebel about work structure).

Keep the help coming, I need you !!
Patty:p

Patty:

Last week I heard about the same thing from a young mother at a Weight Watchers meeting. (I go on Thursdays, but since Thursday was Turkey Day, some friends & I went to a Tuesday group.)

The mom had gained weight during her pregnancy and was depressed at not being able to find time to wedge in any exercise.

We suggested taking 10 minutes here and there to do some power walking, to avoid elevators & instead use the stairs, to park farther from stores and do more walking, etc. She may not have time for 1 full hour, say 9-10 a.m., for exercise, but perhaps several time blocks throughout the day might help.

Some of those suggestions may not work for OHS patients post-op, but try to find some time when you can get in some exercise. Your employer needs to understand that exercise will speed you back to "normalcy," i.e., lung capacity, overall stamina, etc.

I went back part-time @ 7 weeks, then full-time 4 weeks later. My work day is 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. and I eat at my desk. I'm frequently at work at 7 or 7:30 a.m., when my boss comes in, so if I want to step out and do some power-walking during the day, there's no objections. There's an underground tunnel connecting a Bank of America to another office building, and if weather's bad, I can do my walking there.

Patty,
We found that babysitting our soon to be 3 year old granddaughter was putting a crimp in our nightly walks.
Our solution was to buy her a flashlight, make sure she had her coat, gloves and scarf, and then set out for a walk. Some nights she does better than others, and we get a 40 minute walk in. Other nights she's ready to quit after 10 minutes, but by the time we turn around and head back, we've walked 20.

I don't know if you have a secure place to walk with your daughter, but you might consider making her go with you. You might not be able to walk as fast as you normally do, but I'm betting that the time you spend with her will more than compensate for your reduced speed.:)

Hey, Dr. Patty - thought you were going to get a new name for vr.com!!!!

Be selfish and take care of your heart.

Be selfish and take care of your heart.

I applaud you for being able to go back to work so soon. I certainly wasn't able to do that in 6 1/2 weeks. (I had two AVR surgeries within 11 days) I am self employed and took 7 months off. It takes about 12 weeks for the sternum to heal up, and the extreme fatigue took a long time for me to go away.
I went to cardiac rehab for three months (starting a month after surgery) and that did me a lot of good. You might want to get yourself a prescription from your cardiologist and just take the time to do that. I went three times a week. And on the days in between you should ask for 1/2 hour a day to go for your heart walk. Get a note from your cardio, so they can't say anything. When on your own you just have to take the time, because no one is going to give it to you. Be selfish and a bit demanding.
Your heart health depends on it.
Good luck!

Latest posts

Back