Post Op Follow Up Today

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Creed3

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Hi Everyone!
I had my first post op appt. with my new cardiologist today. He said everything seems to be going just fine. He put me on one baby aspirin to go along with my coumadin. Does anyone else take the two together or have any opinions on it? He said that he wants to see me in six months and then if everything is ok, once a year. He doesn't even think that I need to echos done all the time but said that if I feel more comfortable we can still do them. I think I still want to have them done. He was very patient with me and my husband with answering alot of our questions. He said that he agrees with all the meds that the docs in Cleveland put me on. The Toprol is to keep anything else from every occuring with the vessels. My four year old daughter was born with very mild pulmonary stenosis and a small atrial septal defect. My new cardiologist is the only doc who said that he is going to look into finding out if there is some sort of genetic thing going on. He didn't think that the two disorders had anything to do with one another, but he said that it never hurts to do research and find out.
I also wanted to know if anyone else out there with a mechanical valve replacement has taken notice to the heart pounding more when you lay on your left side.

Thanks and Take Care!
Creed3

Hi Creed3

Yes, I take a baby aspirin daily right along with my coumadin, and so far have had no issues. I also take Toprol-XL, albeit in a higher dose than most (150 mg daily) to slow down my heart rate.

I have 2 mechanicals, and really only notice a pounding heartbeat when I'm on my left side if I have my arm up over my head.

Sounds like you found a great cardiologist, one that is willing to work with you. That's not to be taken for granted, for sure!

Johnny

My Doc has me on one 81mg asprin, 25mg atenolol twice a day, and Plavix 75mg once a day. How's that for protection! :eek:

I only hear my heart pounding when I'm on my left side, or on my right side, or on my back. If your scar permits, try putting both arms forward -- that seems to act as an amplifier on my valve. It can be fun to play around with. It wasn't so much fun though when I had arrhythmias, since then it was playing music without any rhythm to it. Isn't it comforting to know that your heart is still beating away!

Latest posts

Back