Post-mitral valve repair echo

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mom2izzy

I had a mitral valve repair performed in February and was very excited/anxious to have a 6 month echo done to see how the "remodeling" was going and to make sure the "trace" leakage post surgery wasn't becoming more significant. When I called to schedule my appointment, they said the cardiologist didn't order an echo. Is this normal? I thought everyone got a 6 month echo...??

For my AVR first ECHO was done around 6 weeks, and the next one is around 1 year anniversary or later. If you are worried, just ask your cardiologist to schedule one. He should have no issues prescribing one.

I agree.
I would request he order an Echo. It is very understandable you would want one at this point.

I would not be concerned with trace leakage anyway..in fact, I expected it...Certainly ask your doctor..

I had an echo about 7 months post repair...

I would request one if you want one. Trace leakage is not a big deal but it is possible that you may not have any leakage at 6 months post op. I had no leakage post op, mild leakage six weeks post op, which freaked me out to say the least, and then trace leakage 7 months post op. Cardiologist isn't even going to do an echo at my next annual appointment unless I am symptomatic.

I know this is a late post, but just wondering if you got your echo. I didn't have an echo either after my surgery. Cardiologist listened to me and said I was "perfect" and "fixed". 3 years later...I get lightheaded and he thought he may want to do an echo to make sure I don't have an infection at the repair site. Oh, my repair is perfect but my ejection fraction is 45. He says its nothing to worry about but I really wish I hadn't waited 3 years. So, now I'm on beta blockers and 4-5 days at the gym for cardio to try to strengthen my heart. I feel like I"m doing cardio rehab 3 years late.

I did get my echo...everything is doing well...will get another one in 1 year. I still get lightheaded, but I have always had low blood pressure. It usually happens along with monthly cycles. That doctor told me it is normal for blood sugar to fluctuate with hormones. Best thing for it would be low dose hormones like a birth control pill, but don't want that because of the clotting risk. I do need to get back into a regular exercise routine, but other than that... Things are fine :)

Thanks for the reply..I get lightheaded too for the same reasons you do, and its not my heart. Darn hormones! I'm right with you with the low blood pressure. I have been exercising a lot and that is helping everything. Good luck to you! Glad things are all good! :)

Latest posts

Back