Plavix and vitamin K

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EVELYN

Quick question to all who might know. Does the drug PLAVIX interact in the same way that coumadin does with vitamin K???? Al???? A friend of mine who had a TIA last year was placed on it and wondered. I didn't know, but said I would bring it up on this list and I knew I would get the right answer. Thanks all.

Evelyn

Ev, Plavix works on blood cells somewhat the same as aspirin does. It's more of a platelet lubricant if you want to call it that. It hasn't affected my INR at all, but wait for the official Al word cause I ain't no pro. :D

Platlet inhibitor correct Ross? I would think this would increase your INR. Hmmmm. Always wondered about it. Are you taking it for your lungs?

No Gina, they thought that I had a heart attack because they saw what they thought to be a blood clot in the apex of my heart during the cath. It turned out to be a cyst and not a clot but they put me on Plavix anyhow along with baby aspirin. All preventatives in nature.

I just pulled this off of the Plavix site:

Drug Interactions

Study of specific drug interactions yielded the following results:

Aspirin: Aspirin did not modify the clopidogrel-mediated inhibition of ADP-induced platelet aggregation. Concomitant administration of 500 mg of aspirin twice a day for 1 day did not significantly increase the prolongation of bleeding time induced by PLAVIX. PLAVIX potentiated the effect of aspirin on collagen-induced platelet aggregation. PLAVIX and aspirin have been administered together for up to one year.

Heparin: In a study in healthy volunteers, PLAVIX did not necessitate modification of the heparin dose or alter the effect of heparin on coagulation. Coadministration of heparin had no effect on inhibition of platelet aggregation induced by PLAVIX.

Nonsteroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs (NSAIDs): In healthy volunteers receiving naproxen, concomitant administration of PLAVIX was associated with increased occult gastrointestinal blood loss. NSAIDs and PLAVIX should be coadministered with caution.

Warfarin: Because of the increased risk of bleeding, the concomitant administration of warfarin with PLAVIX should be undertaken with caution. (See Precautions-General).

Plavix;aspirin, warfarin,Vit K

Plavix;aspirin, warfarin,Vit K

My cardiologist does not like his warfarin patients to even take 81mg aspirin. He says they both work in different ways on the the coagulation cascade and if bleeding or clotting problems develop they are at a loss to determine the cause. I agree, warfarin patients should take Plavix only after consultation with a hematologist. Now as for the Vitamin K question; Plavix effect on platelets not related to Vit K.

Last edited:
Thanks, ALL!!!

I will print this and give it to my friend when I see him on Tuesday!! You guys are just wonderful, I knew I'd get the right answers.

Evelyn

Everybody a contributor

Everybody a contributor

Hey-All you guys are needed-appreciated too, except maybe for Ross. Marty, my cardio specifically prescribed both asprin and Coumadin after consultation with a neurologist and a Dr. doing a current (related)research project at Indiana Univ. I had a blood clot episode that was causing intermittant blindness in one eye.I was told that I was getting the most informed opinion they could possibly get. All this FYI

CC I hear you

CC I hear you

CC I hear you. This is a controversial area. In fact I must confess that now that I am well stabilized on Coumadin four years post MVR and self test and self prescribe; a few months ago I put myself back on 81 mg aspirin daily. It has so many good effects and I dont think I will get in any trouble with it.
By the way I am a Hoosier originally from Terre Haute and graduated IU Med 1952. Last May I returned to the med center for my 50th reunion. I think IU is one of the great med centers in the world.

Lots of good schools in Hoosier state

Lots of good schools in Hoosier state

I.U. is a wonderful institution. My youngest daughter is a grad and currently working on her doctorate. My first three children apparently thought they should humor their old man and they are all graduates of another school a little further north of Bloomington-Go Boilers. Glad you are doing fine Marty. Chris

A blood clot in the eye changes all of the rules. This is a very dangerous situation. This is far different from taking aspirin on the chance that something might happen. Something did happen to you and you need treatment.

One aspirin per day with arfarin presents very little ris of something bad happening, anyhow. The caution against aspirin that pharmacies put on warfarin containers should be eliminated. It goes back to the days before Motrin. Then people used to take 12 to 16 aspirins per day for arthritis etc. This led to GI bleeds and warfarin made them worse. It makes little sense to put that sticker on warfarin prescriptions today because hardly anyone takes more than one aspirin daily.

Advice well taken

Advice well taken

Al-You're preachin to the choir. I'm pretty careful to follow cardio's advice. In my case, clot lodged in upper carotid and was throwing small clots to vision center of brain causing intermittant blindness. No problems since last October. Appreciate knowing history of warnings-only you would have that perspective. Is problem the nature of the cumbersome USDA process ? Ross-when you're outnumbered, you use guerilla tactics. Chris

I don't think the aspirin warnings are from the FDA. They are programmed into the computers that the pharmacies use. It's tradition - We've always done it that way.

Latest posts

Back