Painkillers May Raise Heart Risk (Article)

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

Shari

This was a front page article from the Akron Beacon Journal. Researchers at The Cleveland Clinic fournd a link between cardiovascular problems and the use of Celebrex and Vioxx. Now, this could just be a coincidence, but my husband was taking Vioxx for two years for gout and then he had this surprise aortic dissection. Hmmm.... I am really wondering if Vioxx could have played some sort of part in this since there is no family history of heart problems, he's not a drinker, not a smoker....nothing. I just called the reporter that wrote the article and I'm going to do some checking on the internet and call The Cleveland Clinic. Putting on my sleuth hat....

Shari

Re: Vioxx

Re: Vioxx

Hi Shari-

I posted the links for that article this morning under Heart Talk- Vioxx. There's a link for the JAMA article and a copy of the actual newspaper copy.

My husband was on it for one week and gained 10 pounds from fluid retention. I found out that it interferes with diuretics which he was on a maintenance dose of, and also Coumadin. Many of the people here are on Coumadin and diuretics. His INR was 4.7 yesterday.

Needless to say he is now off it.

But he now has to take 160 mg of Lasix daily until the fluid is gone, and he also has to mess around with his protime.

He also has to have additional bloodwork for kidney function, because of the diuretic and also because Vioxx causes some kidney problems. Plus he has to go for extra protimes.

There are many other problems with this drug than what was stated in the article.

I don't think it helped with his pain problem that much either. Definitely NOT worth the risk. At least for heart and kidney patients.

Nancy,

My husband was on Vioxx prior to any heart problems - which is why I'm wondering if Vioxx could have contributed or caused his heart problem. In July, he had another gout attack, but his doctor said that he couldn't prescribe Vioxx because that drug along with coumadin do not mix well. So, he's been off Vioxx since the three days leading up to his emergency surgery in May. I emailed Dr. Topol at The Cleveland Clinic (his email link was at the JAMA site) and I called the woman who wrote the article at the Beacon Journal. I want more information. What's frustrating in our case is that we don't know what caused the aortic dissection and if the Vioxx could have caused a weakening in the aortic walls....well....that would just be unbelievable.

Shari

Latest posts

Back