Open heart surgery last week - now away from home. Where INR testing?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Hi friends, OHS about 10 days ago. After being discharged, I learned my Dad is dying. Got permission to fly to California, with the original goal of seeing how he is doing, returning home, getting INR tested, and returning to CA soon. Now that I am here, I don't want to leave Sunday, as he is very, very ill. So my question is, how Do I get INR testing here, when my docs are in Kansas City? My initial call to an urgent clinic was not helpful . . ."need standing orders at a lab that takes your insurance, blah, blah, blah."

Where in California are you?

You shouldn't need prescription, etc., just for a simple fingerstick. You may try a cardiologist in your area - they probably do finger sticks.

Again - let me know where in California you are. I may be able to find you some help.

Thank you, Protimenow. I am in Costa Mesa. Close to the 405 freeway. It did not seem to me that a finger stick should require an act of God, but alas, I am a mere cog in the wheel of the medical machinery. Any suggestions are welcome!

Oh dear AmyBL so sorry to here of your situation. I got your msg please pm again and leave me your email address as again the system will not allow me to reply to you msg. So l copied and saved what l wrote so l can email ..thx !
Good luck with your inr and my prayers are with you Xx

I would like to think a large cardiology practice would have a coumidin nurse on-staff that could do it for you. Of course, you may have to pay out-of-pocket and get reimbursed, but it shouldn't be more than $50. Maybe you could call your surgeon's office and ask for assistance?

Dear daschsiemom, harrietw, & mrs.bray - thank you for the good ideas. Once my Doctor's office opens on Monday, I will ask about each of your suggestions. Probably will get my prescriptions sent, too. Likely did not bring enough. I appreciate you!

Amy

I would call your insurance and ask what to do when you are out of your home network and maybe they can direct you to a lab, like Quest... I know I ran into all sorts of roadblocks when I took a new job and went looking for a lab or Coumadin clinc. It really seemed almost impossible. I ended up going to a Quest location but they didn't do a finger stick. They actually did a blood draw then sent it to the lab (wherever that was?) then my doctors office got the results FOUR DAYS LATER. Thankfully I now have my own test kit.

BTW. For anyone looking to get their own test kit I went directly to Coagucheck, found a phone number in their website, called them up to ask how to get an INR meter and they took care of the rest. They made it so very easy. They took care of all the insurance BS and consulted with my cardios office. Even sent a nurse to teach me how to use it. Lucked out and my insurance covered it 100% no cost to me! In order to be eligible you have to have been on Coumadin for at least three months, that's it.

I second coaguchek! For me, much better than alere. Except I pay $100/month, even with insurance 😜 ( until I meet my $6k deductible). Almost hectic, I can't believe its covered at 100 percent!

DachsieMom;n862252 said:
I second coaguchek! For me, much better than alere. Except I pay $100/month, even with insurance 😜 ( until I meet my $6k deductible). Almost hectic, I can't believe its covered at 100 percent!

But your deductible starts over every year... So are you done paying when the machine is paid for? Or is the $100 like a flat service fee? But yeah I have Florida Blue plan (which is Blue Cross and Blue Shield) and durable medical supplies are covered at no cost to me. I did buy a better plan, I think it's the gold level, it is however an HMO. But I figured my surgery is behind me so I downgraded from the gold level PPO to the gold level HMO since my doctors are on the plan anyway.

To my VR friends who posted responses to my question -- Thank you, all. Almost_hectic, dachsiemom, honeybunny, MrsBray, HarrietW the info you posted helped. Eventually, I was sent to a local office of some national lab company and got my INR. Almost_hectic, they did the full draw for me as well, but it "only" took two days to get the results. The lab eventually contacted my doc and it seemed to be an adequate solution.

As soon as my iNR gets a bit more predictable, I plan on purchasing home testing supplies. I will look into both of the names that were mentioned (coagcheck & alere)

Amy

Latest posts

Back