op date

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

john briggs

Dear All: I go in for mitral valve and bypass surgery on Tuesday 2nd July-that's Monday for the US as we are a day ahead of you. I got the word on Thursday! I've been off the smokes since then and am getting pretty nervous. I could be home next Sunday or Monday, all going well, although I ahve an increased risk of pneumonia because of the smoking. For the last few weeks my wife and I had it down to four a day! I wish I coud have one now! Wish me well,
John briggs:confused: :(

Dear John,

Wishing you all the best on Tuesday...I know you'll do fine. You will be in my thoughts and prayers. Keep away from those cigarettes. See you on the other side of the mountain soon.

Wishing you well

Wishing you well

Hi John, I will be thinking of you..don't worry..everything will be fine..I am 3 months post-op..I was a light smoker before surgery..No problems whatsoever...Haven't touched or wanted one since surgery..Just remember to get up and walk, walk, walk...Bonnie

John my thoughts and prayers go out to you. I'll be following you closely, as my surgeons office called Friday to reschedule my date. I haven't got my date yet, but should tomorrow.

Best wishes for you my friend. I fully understand the nervousness.
I was all ready to go on my first date of June 10th, and now, it's hard to psyc myself up again.

See you on the way back. :)

HI John-

Wishing you all the best with your surgery. Three cheers for your shiny new heart! We'll all be waiting to hear how things went. I hope that someone can post for you.

Take care and be well,

Dear John - the day before my bypass surgery, my son was traveling to be with me. When I saw his vehicle turn into my long driveway, I was smoking a cigarette and I said to myself, "This is the last cigarette I will smoke" and then I put it out. My son took an oath as a first grader, to never smoke, and he did everything to stop me, even hiding my cigarettes but I just couldn't, but the moment I saw him coming that day, I made that decision and put out the cigarette and that was the end of them. While in the hospital, I never even had a craving (the meds, probably) and when I got home, I still didn't want one. So, if you leave them off during your hospital stay, perhaps you will be off them when you get home. But you will need to have anyone in your home smoke outside or you will be drawn in again -

As for your surgery, my prayers are with you as you travel toward the mountain. It isn't but a short walk from here on and we are walking right along with you and will give you a lift right over the top to the good side. GODSPEED

Good Luck John

Good Luck John

John, so glad to hear you've put down the cigarettes. You will recover so much faster without them!

Here's hoping for a speedy, smoke-free recovery! Sending lots of positive thoughts your way....

Johnny

Good luck on Tuesday. Glad you quit smoking, but you should have tried a bit sooner. But be sure to take walks and keep busy when you are home. No lifting weights till the doc's say that ut us safe. Take your time doing things and recover will be fine. Take care and do not worry. You be alright. Be sure to have someone post for you to let us know how you are.

Caroline
09-13-01
Aortic valve replacement
St. Jude's valve

Hello John,

The BEST advice I can pass along is to do your Breathing Exercises as much and as often as possible (say 20 repetitions 8 times a day). This will go a LONG way towards keeping your Lungs inflated and preventing pneumonia.

Best Wishes !

'AL'

John

John

hi John .....I just wanted to you to know that I'll be thinking of you today and tomorrow (not sure which day it will be here ) you will be in my thoughts and prayers . Take care and come back and tell all
Scottie

Hi John,

By now you may be recovering from surgery. I do hope you are doing well. Like eveyone said..walking/not smoking will really help in the process. I found drinking water everytime I wanted to smoke got me past that moment..ice chips, too. You'll do it your own way, but it is important not to have any smoking around you!!!

Best of luck and medical care!

Zipper *~*

John - Good luck with the surgery. I am saying my prayers now, since you are in surgery as I type or close to it.

Hi John

Good luck with your surgery. Let us know how you are getting on and remember keep away from the cigarettes.

operation delay

operation delay

Dear All! I'm back (said Arnie)! My surgeon has postponed my surgery because he has reassessed it and will take 8 hours not four, so it will be done next Tuesday. I got into Hospital and had all the prep. then the surgeon's Registrar gave me the news. What a let-down! Thanks for all the good wishes.
John Briggs

Doesn't it just drive you nuts! I was supposed to have mine June 10th and then I got a darn virus 12 days before surgery. Now I'm rescheduled for the 22nd of this month. I was ready the first time, but now, I find it hard to get ready again.

Well, we'll get fixed when it's our time to be fixed, but I do feel for you on the let down. I know it all too well.

HI John-

That is a letdown. But you know what? Everything gets postponed for a good reason. It's a good sign that the surgeon wants to give you the best possible surgery by allowing enough time to do the job right, instead of cramming you into a timeframe that would not be right for you.

So when your time comes again, we'll all be here for you.

Take care.

Cancelled

Cancelled

Dear All: My surgeon decided today not to do the operation as it is too risky and my symptoms don't warrant such a risk. It would have taken 8-10 hours and only 70% likelihood of survival. So he thinks that as my physical condition is still good that he will just keep me under observation and only operate if my condition worsens enough to warrant the risk. Thanks for all your good wishes and your prayers.
John Briggs

Good Morning John.

If the Doctor thinks it to be that way, then so be it. I think my question is, "How do you feel about it?" I seriously think you should get a second opinion on this after re-reading the thread.

Last edited:
Back