One Year!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Dave M

It's hard to believe today marks the one-year anniversary of my open heart surgery. At this point last year I honestly wasn't sure I would survive. The surgeons spent seven hours replacing my aortic valve, repairing my mitral valve, and reconstructing my aortic root. These conditions had also caused left ventricle dilatation and atrial fibrillation. My heart rate, even at rest, was between 110-200 bpm, and my blood pressure was high.

What a difference a year makes!! I have had no a-fib since the surgery. My heart rate is a steady 60-65 bpm. My blood pressure averages 110/70. I am off all heart meds. The only med I take is coumadin (2.0-2.5 INR). I am now able to work full-time and pastor a church part-time. I run about 15 miles per week. In my "spare" time I still have enough energy to be a husband and father of three children (two teenagers!).

I do not mean to sound like I'm bragging. I do hope what I've shared will be an encouragement to others who are struggling. The human body has an amazing ability to heal and recover what we thing we've lost forever. I realize that the grace of God and the skills of my wonderful cardiologist and cardiovascular surgeon rescued me. I also realize I will never be as healthy as I was before I began having symptoms. I still have some tough days (fatigue, etc.). I am, however, so much better than I thought I could ever be.

Thank you for this web site. Your honest stories of both discouragement and triumph have helped me through some very difficult days. Please let me know if can help any of you in any way.

Congratulations and thank you for sharing.
As my date approaches, I grow more and more apprehensive. All these little flash movies play in my head, survival odds, area blood shortages, etc. I'm experiencing the normal fear, as anyone would, and I find it great to see another story of a job well done. By both, the creator and the surgeons.;)

Dave-

Brag away, you should be bragging! You sound wonderful. Wishing you all the best for many, many, many years to come.

Hi Dave,

What a great story. You are NOT bragging. Everyone needs success stories to keep them motivation and to "hang in there" for the recovery.

Keep up the good work with the heart and with your church!

John & Joann

I remember it well, Dave - good news after a year should always be shared with us and those who come after you. They will be encouraged, I am sure. So, listen, JJ and Ross. God bless

Congratulations Dave. It's a milestone and hard to believe. I never thought I'd feel this well one year ago either.
-Mara

12 years since surgery

12 years since surgery

Just read about the one year mark and was remembering that I just completed my 12th year and am staring year thirteen today. I was remembering how I was scheduled for aortic valve replacement on July 18th and got bumped because a heart became available for transplant and of course it was more urgent for that patient to have surgery. I remember I had nothing to eat all day as they didn't know if they would be taking me to surgery after the transplant. When my surgeon came into to my room at 7 PM looking like the wrath of God but still willing to go ahead if I wanted to I told him "no thanks! Go home and get some sleep and I'll see you in the morning, but tell them it's OK to feed me before you leave!" I guess I've been very lucky. I have not had any major problems with taking coumadin and generally feel pretty good. Ross I want you to knnow you will be in my prayers on Monday! Much luck.

Beverly

Latest posts

Back