one for the guys here!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

Simon Gee

On Monday, my wife and I are off to see a consultant about my having a vasectomy - ow!! We've got three fine boys and don't want any more children, but I wish I'd got this done before my AVR in 2000. I'm on warfarin but have a stable INR and I've had one minor surgery when I injected heparin for three days before and after, with no problems.

I just wondered whether any of you guys had been through this while on warfarin/coumadin and if you had any problems?

Keep on tickin'

Simon

Well, hey there, Simon - long time no see. Sounds like you are doing great. Thoughts are with you as you go through this oweee! Good decision.

My granddaughter MADE her husband get one after two children but refused surgery for herself - in case she got a divorce, married someone else who might want children. That's exactly what happened. Now she has four and this time SHE got fixed. She is one of the most harried mothers I know. Last two babies 17 months apart, both in diapers. oooooh, my.:D

Hi Simon, I can't really comment on the coumadin thing, but...I rememebr when my husband got fixed...a year and a half later I was pregnant with our second son. Scary, huh? i got fixed after Erik was born. Actually during the C-section. I didn't refuse, my husband actually said that since I had gotten so sick after the pregnancy and had to go through a c section and had all that crap happen to me...he'd go get fixed. Just make sure you get tested in 6 weeks and again in 12 weeks. It would be smart to make sure you were still sterile every 6 months. Just a suggestion.

Simon, Joy's advice is excellent - to be sure, get checked from time to time for awhile, at least. I have seen babies come from fathers who were 'fixed' and boy, did the wives have to live it down! Not to mention raising the baby.

I sure intend to!!

I sure intend to!!

Hi Hensylee and Joy,

Thanks for the advice! It seems to be standard practice here in the UK to get a check up six months after getting fixed, and the advice is to continue with 'full precautions' until given the all clear, hopefully, at this point.

Some good news - the consultant's secretary phoned yesterday to cancel Monday's appointment, so I've got a little bit longer before it's 'owee' time!

Hensylee - I've been visiting the site all the time, just haven't felt I can add much to all the great stuff that's already here.

Keep on tickin'

Simon

Hey Simon, my husband said it wasn't too bad after they put the local anesthetic on...but the shot hurt. They gave him percocet...make sure you have plenty of frozen peas in your house, and just take it easy for like 3 days afterward, but then you will be fine. My husband had his done on a thursday and he was back to work on monday. Good luck, and don't worry.

Hi Simon,

I hear it isn't all the bad. Wishing you all the best.

My doctors still ask if my husband has 'had it taken care of'. They don't want to see me pregnant anymore than I do. We have a wonderful, healthy daughter. Wish we could have had a few more. Was not in the cards for us. I feel truly blessed to have had childern at all before my diagnosis.

Take care....

Simon,
Went through this "experience" a year before my AVR so I had no complications...other than the pure irony of spending your whole life up to that moment protecting that area from sharp objects, then paying someone to charge in with all sorts of "toys". Seriously, wasn't that bad...just be inactive for a couple days...the frozen peas suggestion is a good one. Best of Luck!

Frozen peas....?

Frozen peas....?

So what do y'all use the frozen peas for........is this a 'cooling down' exercise.....

Confucius says."Woman who cooks Ham
and Peas in same pot is very unhygienic"

;)

Dress well

Dress well

I had a friend that went through this. He bought a new suit first. Said he wanted to look impotent if he was gonna be impotent. Good luck, Chris

Latest posts

Back