Non Pool smelling sunscreen

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

Jeff Summers

This may sound kinda goofy. I am taking pacerone to keep my heart ticking right, and one of its side effects is sunburn, and let me tell you it does not take much direct sun to burn me, even before I took this drug. I use SPF45 stuff, but all the stuff that I look and smell, makes you smell like you are laying out at the pool. Loubriderm has a cream that is SPF15, but that is not strong enough. Inputs please? :)

Hi Jeff,

I can relate to your issue. Ever since I had my surgery and started taking meds... my skin has become photosensitive. I burn easy, and if in the sun too long, will also develop skin rashes. Due to the photo-sensitivity, most, if not all sun blockers I tried did not work.

So, I visited a dermatologist and the doctor recommended that I try a sun blocker called "Blue Lizard" . It is made in Australia, and It seems to work very well. IT is the only one I have found that works.

I have a link to the site that I purchase it from. It can be very expensive, but this site had the lowest prices that I have been able to find. almost 1/2 price as compared to other sites, and for that matter, what the doctor's office wanted to charge me for it.

The site address is:

http://www.dermstore.com/bybrandid.asp?bid=94&source=overture

You may want to try a small bottle first. Once I found that it worked for me I purchased the larger size bottles.

Hope this helps, until then... stay outta the sun.. : (
Rob

Jeff

Jeff

I've always used the baby brand sunblock, it doesn't have any fragrances in it and you can get a higher SPF I like 45, but I'm very fair skinned.

The blue lizard doesn't seem that expensive, it might be worth a try. I will be worrying about my scar and the sun it's still very irritated and sensitive.

Maybe other can give some suggestions,

Terry40

This may sound crazy too.....

This may sound crazy too.....

Have you tried Water Babies? Happen to have a bottle in hand as I type here. Have been using this on my daughter since she was a baby. Works great. Give it a try:)

hi jeff!
joey has been on amiodarone since his surgery and is on a miniscule dose right now as he is weaning off it.
amiodarone, like many other heart meds, makes one extremely photosensitive.
joey tried numerous sunscreens from dermatologists, but none were effective. he loves to play golf and even just going in and out of the sun was a problem.
i had some laser work done and my doctor recommended this stuff called anthelios XL or L, made by la roche posay.
i had ordered it online some time ago from canada (http://www.synapse.net.mt/pro-health/tsmmb/roche/anthelios.asp), but now get it from my doctor.

rob, if you think blue lizzard is expensive, this stuff costs an arm and a leg!!!!!

it does work though. i use it too and besides the anthelios (which is colorless), we also use presun 27 for sensitive skin. it is made of titanium dioxide and goes on white until rubbed in (this is the best physical block).
sunprecautions also makes clothing that blocks the rays of the sun. try checking out their website (http://www.sunprecautions.com/index.htm).
they also advertise some sunscreens (solbar, elta, presun). i have a few of their hats and LOVE them!!!

please feel free to email me anytime at: [email protected] about this. i have tried soooo many sunscreens!!!
i hope this helps.
be well, sylvia

My family likes Coppertone sport lotion, spf 30.
It smells okay and is waterproof. And one actually still gets a tan with it,too.

Gail

Hi Sylvia,

How much does that stuff cost? Do you need a prescription to purchase it?

The Blue Lizard can be as expensive as $15.00 for the small 5 oz bottle. The site I mentioned in the earlier post had the best deals on it.

Thanks,
Rob

hi rob!
thanks for the blue lizzard website; i'll definitely try it out!
as far as the anthelios L or XL goes, you don't need a prescription for it. it hardly lets you tan through. and, it costs about $35 for a 100 ml tube!!!! (which, incidentally, goes a pretty long way, i think).
i know that the L is the one that is available in the usa. the XL which is marginally stronger is available from dermatologists, plastic surgeons, laser (dermo) and such doctors who often stock them for their clients.
if you have trouble finding it, let me know and i'll be happy to send you a tube to try (they also come in 60 ml tubes).
i have a few tubes in the house at all times incase joey should go on a spur of the moment golf trip.
hope this helps. let me know if you 'd like me to send you some. (you can email me at: [email protected])
be well, sylvia

Thanks for all of the inputs. I am giving the baby sunscreen a whirl first-its the cheapest and easiest to get. If this doesn't work, I've book marked the Blue Lizard and the Anthelios. Have a nice week, and don't fall for any of those April fools jokes tomorrow! BUH BYE.

'Rocket Scientists' Suntan Lotion'

'Rocket Scientists' Suntan Lotion'

NO-AD SPF45 Maximum Sun Block Lotion. Water Resistant, Sweat Resistant, and Fragrance Free. Formulated with Aloe Vera, Cocoa Butter, and Vitamin E. 8.5 fl. oz. [251 ml] Size. Big cost of $4.79.

Called 'NO-AD' because they don't advertise...

Cheep, cheep and works...:D

hi all!
no-ad, as "girlie" mentioned, is great stuff. my folks who are avid golfers use it, but they do get a touch of color.
it's really hard to avoid the sun if you like the outdoors, and other than wearing sun-proof clothing from top to bottom,
physical sunblocks are supposed to be the best (those are the ones with zinc oxide or titanium dioxide in them that leave you whitish).
there are so many new ones out there. some even grind the zinc oxide down to such fine particles that the lotion doesn't go on white!
the other thing is how they feel! joey hates them when they feel greasy. no-ad is nice. anthelios is thicker but goes on smooth. presun 28 is thick, but can be rubbed or patted in. oh well....
good luck and if i come across any other great ones, i'll let you know.
stay well, sylvia

Hi,

The only sun screen I used prior to sugery, and the meds, was No-Ad. It is great stuff, and is very water proof! Wish I could still use it.

After my surgery though, I could not use it because it no longer protected me. I believe the medication I now have to take is the culprit, since it has made my skin more light photosensitive.

Blue Lizard was the only one I found that helps with this.

I also recently found another site that has better pricing on the larger 9 oz. bottle.

The site is:

http://www.drugstore.com/qxp78783_3...ustralian_sunscream_lotion_spf_30_regular.htm

Rob

Last edited:
hi rob!
i'm with you. i love no-ad, but it doesn't do the trick where protection for joey is concerned. i am going to get some blue lizard for our trip to naples, fla in april. i'll let you know what the boss says (and what i think too).
thanks for the suggestion.
-be well, sylvia

Hey, when they say fragrance free, they must be meaning not smelling like perfume. I say this because I have tried every sunscreen out that is on the shelves at Wal-Mart. The "no-ad" smells like cocoa butter, which is the "pool smelling odor" that I have been talking about. This smell stays with you for a long time after you put it on--basically until you sweat it off. The Coppertone Sport, and the Water Babies has a less pungent (cocoa butter) pool smell, but it is still there. The Bull Frog SPF 45 has what I think is an orange smell, which is different from the cocoa smell. It comes in 5 oz bottles for around $8. The Water Babies is 12 oz for around $7, and the Coppertone is an 8oz for around $7, and I am currently trying all 3. The Bull Frog goes on thick, so even though you get less in the bottle, I think that it will go farther. I'm telling y'all it is a difficult, if not impossible task to find sunscreen that does not have a distinctive sunscreen smell. So, what's the big deal? Well, I have people in the office that I work with make comments about the pool smell, and my come back is that its better than B.O.! The neighborhood kids, including my 5 year old daughter, want to know when we can go swimming, and the pool doesn't open for 8 weeks!!!

You must have an office like mine......

You must have an office like mine......

64 square foot of windows in a 19' X 14' room. I just love my office!!

Thank goodness I don?t sunburn easy and never wear sunscreen... my husband however is a blond... He and the boys wear the no-ad stuff... for that very reason.. they hate the perfumy kinda smell of all the rest. I say who cares? If they ask you about the smell, just tell them...'every day?s a holiday? and you?re on vacation! :p That?s what I told my son when he was working out in the sun all day for C-DOT.

Indian blood

Indian blood

My 2 g-grandmothers were full Choctaw Indians..3 days in the sun and I am dark:D My daughter hates me..She got her Grandmother's fair skin..she was from Sweden. Has to go to tanning booth to get a little tan.:p I'm like Rain..have never had to use lotion.:)

Back