No restrictions!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rachel

Hey, just wanted to let everyone know that I’m super relieved!

I just had my one and a half year follow-up appointment with my surgeon yesterday where he reviewed my MRI and echo. After reviewing my results, he walked into my room beaming out these words: “Rachel, you have no restrictions, go do what you want!”

I’m so excited, I feel so normal! I mean I’ve been feeling normal for a while now, it’s just that extra validation that’s got me so happy!!!

Just wanted to share my joy/relief – since the news of my bicuspid aortic valve and aortic aneurysm was so shocking to me (and my recovery was slower than I thought it would be), I’ve been living like I’m waiting for “the other shoe to drop” – now I finally feel like I can relax!

Thanks for reading!!!

I’m still training for my first half since surgery, that will happen in April and I’ve signed up for another one in September!

Kodi – I’m so on board with your 2013 running challenge! I commit to 20 miles a week.

Rachel

YAAAAHOOO! Good news Rachel. Those are the words we love to hear.
I'm still on track for my challenge and glad you're there with me. I did miss last week by 1 mile and the week before by 5 or 6, unusual for me. I have only been walking but have an appointment with my cardio guy Thursday and will see if I'm allowed to start running again. This is about the longest period of time I've ever been off running.....Walking is getting boring.:)
Hope the 1/2 training is going well. I'm planning on one Apr 13 and another Jun 2.

It does feel a lot better to get the official blessing doesn't it. It's like being made whole again.

Hah! Nothing ever gets deleted on the web, so I looked back at what you said in your very first post hear last year.

My doctor has definitely cleared me to run, but based on my HR I’m honestly getting to the point where I think I should just stop trying to run. I’d be interested in hearing opinions from others on this.

Rachel

Never stop trying.

That's great news Rachel!! Good luck with the half-mara training; I had planned to do one in August but I've injured my foot - it's almost cool to have an athletic injury holding me back instead of the heart. :) So you may have to SMASH IT for both of us, no pressure!!

Thanks so much everyone for all your responses! You know, people who have never been through this don't quite get it, I told some of my friends and their responses were something along the lines of -- "yeah....so.....you look okay so why wouldn't you be okay?"

It's so nice to have this forum of great people who know exactly what it means when the surgeon says "no restrictions" so I deeply appreciate all of you!!!

Ski girl - sorry to hear about your foot - you're right, at least it's not your heart - but still! I wish you a speedy recovery!

Jack - thanks for digging up my old post - it made me realize how far I've come!

Tom - that's right - Syracuse in October - I'll either do the half or the relay -- is it flat there?

Kodi - good luck with your cardio appt - I hope you are given the go ahead to run soon!

Thanks all!!!!

Rachel

Rachel, the Syracuse course is not flat. The first and last 6 miles are very flat. The middle is rolling hills. That is the full, but the half is flat.

Ok Folks, here is the challenge, Rachel has had a FANTASTIC follow up visit. Go to Cardiac Athletes ( I am not stumping for the site, I am a Cardiac Athlete and PROUD of it) and commit to the team effort scheduled for New YORK! NEW YORK The Cardiac Athlete meet up is nothing you have experienced before. Great camaraderie, heart patients who know what we are talking about, and best of all, friends to lean on.

Kodi, I want to meet you in NY! Hoohah. Gymguy, are you IN?

Nothing will motivate you more than team members who stand with you! I want to meet you in NY!

Last edited:
You don't have to run a marathon, there are relay teams, something for everybody. If you would like to be added to the mailing list from CA Organizers, contact HEART TEAMS ([email protected])

Last edited:
I whole-heartily second LucyLou on the challenge to making it out to NY this year!!!

I met so many great people last year like LucyLou, Tom, Jack, and a WHOLE bunch of others - SO inspiring - there's just nothing like talking, laughing and running together with fellow valvers (and also other cardiac athletes) - people who really just get it and know exactly what you're going through!

This year I'll probably run the half - but last year I ran the relay - there's a distance for everyone and I'd love to see more valvers out there as well!

Again - contact HEART TEAMS ([email protected]) to sign-up

Rachel

Latest posts

Back