Nine months after surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimL

Many things have happened to me since surgery -- probably the most surprising to me is my total addiction to ValveReplacement.com -- but this one seems more significant and worth reporting.
Two weeks ago, my wife Shirley and I took a pre-anniversary trip to the beautiful AuSable River midway up Michigan?s lower peninsula. I especially thought of it as a pre-anniversary trip, just in case we (read me) forgot our anniversary next Monday.
There are some beautiful lookouts along the AuSable, two of which had stairs down to the river. We did 260 steps down and 260 steps back up on one day, and the next day 294 steps down and 294 steps back up. I had no trouble whatsoever. A year ago I wouldn?t have made it. Two years ago, I would have been glad to sit down and rest. This time I wasn?t even breathing hard. My wife enjoyed resting on every bench.
The incident that I thought was rather significant occurred about halfway back up the 294 steps; Shirley wanted to rest, but there wasn?t a bench at hand. I thought I saw a bench a little farther ahead (my eyes are none too good), so I ran up the next three flights of stairs to check. Yes, there were benches there. So I came back down to climb with her to the benches.
It was only later on that it dawned on me what I had done, something I?ve never done before in my life. I had run up three flights of stairs, and I wasn?t even breathing hard! I wondered if that were bad or good. It?s been over two weeks now, and there haven?t been any bad effects, as if I had overdone it, so it must be a good thing.
I may have a constant ticking, I may have a bounding heartbeat, I may be on coumadin for life, my INR may never be stable, I may constantly be having things dawn on me long after the fact, but my heart valve is wide open and my heart is pumping efficiently for a change.

Sweeter words were never spoken.........you are eloquent.

Congratulations on a great recovery!

Marybeth

Nice post Jim. You sound wonderful

This is what it's all about. Being alive to be able to enjoy life as much as possible within your own personal limitations is truly a gift.

Great post for Pre-surgery people

Great post for Pre-surgery people

I loved your last paragraph:) :) For those of you getting ready for valve repair..read this twice....and just 9 months later:D Bonnie

There you go again, Bonny you are the greatest cheerleader I have ever known. I did read it twice and am taking it to heart. Darn, I can not stop the puns when on this site.

JimL, I am a treansplanted Michigander lived in Flint, Lansing, Dundee(home town), Marquette and Iron Mountain last 20 years in the cold. Your experience sure gives me courage looking at my next few weeks and months. I think I could do what you did NOW but my cardio guy says he doesn't want me taking chances. I jokingly threatened to run a race the day after my heart cath and all he said way "I would not run anywhere with that valve" he was dead serious. My EF is 55% but the area is down to .61 cm sq. So for now I will just live vicariously through your exploits and tell you I envy you the visit to northern Lower Michigan, this is one of the nicest times of year up there, as you know. Keep up the good work and keep us newbies pumped up for our big event.

Best,

Thank you Bill

Thank you Bill

For saying that I am a good cheerleader. We both just got up too early together this morning:D :D :D (Private info):D :D I hope that Becky, Dave, Charlie and Adam who had their valves replaced last week will see Jim's post..Post surgery should be slow and easy..but then work on walking that nasty stuff:eek: :eek: out of your system that you picked up in hospital..:mad: :mad: You will feel much better...Bonnie

hi jim!
what a wonderful post. i'm so thrilled to hear you are doing so well. i know what i finally felt like when joey told me that he never felt this good before! thanks for sharing that with us.
stay well, sylvia

Latest posts

Back