Newly diagnosed- Heart of the Sunrise

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heart Of The Sunrise

Howdy all!

I am blessed that my Family Physician did a routine EKG about a month ago which started a chain of medical tests and procedures which are far from over. He discovered a left bundle branch block.

I am in the hands of one of the best cardiologists in my area who will be referring me to one of the best surgeons in the country near the city where I live.

I was born with a bicuspid aortic valve.
It is severely thickened and calcified.

Just found out about this.

My left ventricle is somewhat enlarged.

My ascending aorta is dilated 4.5 cm.......

Next up is a heart catherization and a trans-espochegeal-echocardiogram. on December 4th.

Many reasons for optimism, my blood pressure is consistently good and my health is good.
I am asymptomatic with the heart issues.....no pain...all good!

Surgery will be sometime after New Years. AVR and AR.

Just looking to learn about experiences of those who are going through preparations for surgery and post surgery experiences.

Heart Of the Sunrise

Your story sounds similar to mine in that I had a physical back in February which revealed that my murmur had gotten much worse and it was suggested I see a cardiologist ASAP for further diagnosis. That led to the echo and the result that I'd suffered a heart attack at some point that I never felt. The theory was that a small piece of calcium broke off and traveled a short distance before blocking blood flow. Anyway, based on the results of the echo it was strongly suggested that I do a cardiac cath and schedule an appointment with a surgeon. Fortunately, the cath came out clean other that the severely calcified bicuspid aortic valve. The surgery was scheduled for his first open slot and went off without a hitch other than some afib that I had to deal with.

I'm currently doing cardio rehab and just completed my 12th session 2 months out from the surgery. Before the surgery I would become very short of breath after about 5 minutes of exertion but can easily do 60 minutes of treadmill/bike/etc. w/o any difficulty while keeping in the upper target range. I certainly wasn't in top shape before the surgery although I would have considered myself fit. At this point I'm in much better overall condition and don't see myself as having any limitations except those that would be considered normal for my age.

I do still have some muscular chest pain but it's certainly manageable and will hopefully continue to ease up as time passes.

Like you mentioned on my thread, we do have certain similarities. Incomplete right bundle branch block was mentioned to me about a year ago, but nothing since. Like you, I am asymptomatic (and very active), with no stenosis or regurgitation. I must say, you are lot more calm and rational than I have managed to be!
Although don't have to go back for 12 months, I am reconciled to the fact (finally) that I will be having surgery in the near future.
Good luck with your procedure on the 4th

Hi and welcome Heart of the Sunrise,

I was also born with BAV, but it took me 45 years before I found out. I was lucky it was caught because my ascending aorta was dilated to 5.2 cm.

Just wanted you to know that my surgery was 16 months ago and I'm doing really well.

I'll be thinking about you in the weeks ahead.

Rachel

Wow, what a day! God has truely been at work in my life for the last 7 weeks. My hope and faith for a better life after surgery has never been stronger!
We just got back from our new church's Thanksgiving morning service. We had never been to a Thanksgiving Day service there before.
As we were leaving a couple about my age commented on my Penn State University jacket. They also stated that they had been members of the church
for years and had never attended a Thanksgiving Day service before. I told them that I was there to give thanks that I had finally learned about my BAV and dilated aorta and was having surgery real soon. They said that there son had AVR 6 years ago and was doing fine. So I said.. "where did he have the surgery".. They said.....the same hospital ...and the same surgeon... that I will be having...they could not have praised the hospital or surgeon any higher... so we are now going to correspond as I go forward on this unexpected but critical journey upon which I am now embarked.......AWESOME:eek:!!!!!!

That's an encouraging boost for you. I'm so pleased

Well, I got the preliminary results from yesterday's cath and TEE. NO coronary artery disease at all and I will not need mitral valve repair.
So, I am looking at ascending aorta repair and AVR. It will be at U of P Hospital in Phila. by one of their best surgeons. I have yet to meet with him.
But, my cardiologist has been consulting with him. Cardiolgist hinted that surgery will be reasonably soon. My guess.. late in January 2013 or very early
in February. I expect I will meet with surgeon shortly after New Year's. Next up full review of yesterday's tests on 12/18 with my cardio. One of the more interesting aspects of yesterday's tests was that most of the staff in the cath lab have been to my home for social activities. This was a great comfort as they treated me like I was family. I also had the comfort of speaking to the son of those church members mentioned above. This was a great comfort. So anyone out there is about to have a trans-espophegeal echo or a heart catherization....have no fear it was a piece of cake. Of course I was very sedated so I have no memory of it. Initially they thought they could go through my wrist. But, went through my groin. The only issue was some bleeding from my wound after my first walk about 3 hours after the procedure. This was quickly stopped and I went home three hours later. Worked a full day today. I was told no driving for 3 days. Fortunately a co-worker lives near me so I was able to catch a ride with him the rest of the week. All is good!

Latest posts

Back