new, w/question about coumadin therapy

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

spec

Hi, my 30-yr-old husband received 2 bovine valve's in 97' and has been on daily coumadin ever since. He also takes digoxin, and atenolol. I am curious if anyone knows why coumadin therapy is required after valve replacement? I assume it depends on the individual history, but would think after valve replacement, that blood would be following better, thus not needing coumadin?

Thanks so much.

Al knows best

Al knows best

Hi Spec,

Your question is best answered by Al Lodwick who visits this website often. Mr. Lodwick is a pharmacist who specializes in the monitoring and dosing of Warfarin, a.k.a. Coumadin. Check out his website and possibly e-mail him with your questions.

www.warfarinfo.com

I'd be interested in knowing why your (young!) husband has been on Coumadin for so long in the first place. Coumadin is generally prescribed as a life-time drug therapy for those of us who have been retrofitted with prosthetic or mechanical valves, like St. Jude titanium valves. People who opt for bovine valve replacements generally do so because they do not want to deal with Coumadin.

Regards,

will look into it

will look into it

Thank you Perry. I will be sure to post any info I find. My guess is that my husband has a specific history that requires specific coumadin maintenance. He was born with a heart problem, had a pacemaker by age 10 and underwent the valve replacement at age 27. He's been on coumadin since the valve replacement so it will be interesting to research and see what I can find out.

Thanks again,
Spec

Hi Spec-

Just wanted to welcome you to this great site. There's so much info. here, you won't believe it. Al Lodwick will probably address your specific question. He checks out this forum a lot.

My husband is the patient here. He's had lots and lots of surgeries, and lots and lots of serious medical things. He's 71 and still ticking along.

I hope to see you here often. It's always nice to see newbies.

Spec

Spec

I am also sure that your loved one is also on ecotrin to go with the warafin. It is to thin the blood to prevent clots on the valves. There is always a chance of a clot anyway, but not to worry about. As long as he stays on a good diets and exercises regularly, and takes his meds, he is doing great. You are great to care so much to get knowledge. You both keep hanging in there and keep getting educated. In the field of cardiology, it is changing ever so much all the time. Come in anytime with any question you have. We are here for you. Take care.

Caroline
09-13-01
Aortic valve replacement
St. Jude's valve

Spec

Your husband is surely not on warfarin this long after a bovine valve replacement. If he has a long cardiac history, it is probably because he has an irregular heart rhythm. Please add some more information and I will try to answer your question.

Latest posts

Back