Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Dave

Hi everyone, I hope this is the right place to start. I just wanted to share my experience with others in the same boat, and hopefully to cheer someone up who is about to or just had open heart surgery.
Just over a year ago, I had a Mitral Valve replacement, with a St Judes. I had not been ill prior, but did have a prolapse that was so called innocent. Anyway I was working one day and that night ended up in Hospital with high heartbeat 150- 170 and fluid on the lungs. The mitral valve had collapsed and they operated within a few days and replaced the valve. The operation went without problems and I was home within a week. I was as weak as a kitten, took all my strength to walk to the mailbox, but within weeks, I was able to walk around the block, and today I am able to lead a perfectly normal life. I must admit that the only sometimes annoying thing is the tick from the valve, but its really only noticeable at night. I am on warfarin my INR is stable, with blood tests now only once a month, and I still have a few drinks and eat what i like. I havent spoken to anyone who has had a mitral valve replacement, so i dont know what the normal recovery is, but I am keen to talk with others who have or are about to have this done.

Hi Dave,

Welcome to the group. Sorry I can't answer you questions I had the aortic replaced. I'm sure before long that others will answer your post. Glad to have you will us, the kettle is always on. martha

Hi Dave-

Sounds as if everything is going excellently. Isn't it wonderful that these things can be fixed.

Welcome to the site. We've all had the problems of our friends and relatives who don't have a clue about what's been going on. You'll find that here everyone knows what you're talking about. You've got some instant friends. I'm sure you'll be able to help others who are facing this surgery.

Hi Dave,

Welcome to our group! This is the rght place to come to. This is a very supportive sight. Thanks to Hank Erying who created it and all the members who support it.
I found out a year ago in November that my Mitral Valve was Prolapsing and Stenotic. This was after they diagnosed me first with Bronchitis, Asthma and then Pnuemonia. Of course I had none of these things. It was my Mitral Valve that was narrowing so bad that it appeared my syptoms were of those I mentioned above. Others will tell you the same thing. My cardio thought I was th perfect candidate for a balloon procedure. It ddn't end up working so they did OHS on March 8, 2001 for both my Mitral Valve and Aortic Valve and repaired my Tricuspid Valve. I feel pretty good too. Never knew what it was like to breathe properly. My INR had been pretty steady and within range for the past 5 months. Two weeks ago it went too low so they increased my Coumadin for a few days and I'm going for another bloodtest today. I'll let you know the outcome! There are many more that can tell you about their experiences.
I too still drink but I very concious about watching how much I drink. DO you watch your VIT K intake? I've been fairly concious about that too! Consitancy is the key. When I have a queston that I wantan answer to right away, I get on this site! I sure you will enjoy it!!

Hi Dave,

Welcome to our group. I had my mitral valve repaired last October. As far as that surgery went... I am feeling great in the heart department.... except that I now have CHF and my cardio tells me that my heart is now "Global". I also have leukemia and recently had a mastecomy for breast cancer.

I'm sure that other replacement people will post and share their experiences.

Take care,
Zazzy

Thankyou to Zazzy,Lorraine,Nancy and Martha for your contact, I am not sure if I am doing this correctly, or am I supposed to contact you individually. Im not a computor wizard but tend to bumble my way through. I am also not used to communicating in a forum so any help or advise will be appreciated.
Thanks to all of you for kind wishes, and yes Nancy it is great that these things can be fixed, I keep thinking what would have happened had it not been replaceable. Also Lorraine asked about the Vit K, I have not altered my diet at all, mind you I wouldn't sit down to a bowl of Spinach. The awareness of Vit K is there but we just eat normal meals and it is no problem. Same with Alcohol,I enjoy a wine and beer, but never over indulge. I must admit that if I have more than two glasses of wine, I dont sleep so well, but my INR stays stable.
I would like to hear about fitness levels, I am almost as fit as I was after 13months since surgery, but I do get short of breath more easily, I wonder if I will ever be as fit as I was, I enjoy Hiking, climbing etc and was very fit for my age prior to surgery. I have been working hard on it but I think I may have reached my peak.
I have lots of other questions, and hopefully some answers, but its a beautiful spring day here today, and im off to enjoy it.
Cheers Dave

Latest posts

Back