New here and mitral valve repair in 2 days

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weekycat

Hi All,
My name is Jean, I'm 43 years old, and so glad to have finally found this site.

I was on a similar board for hysterectomy called HysterSisters. I was scheduled for a hyster on Apr. 24, but was sent to a cardiologist to get clearance for surgery because of my severe MVP.

Coincidently, the night before my appt, I woke up with shortness of breath and chest pain/pressure. I thought it was a chest cold since my dh had had a cough for some time.

The cardiologist wanted to do some further tests, and two days later I had a regular echocardiogram and a TEE. They decided I should postpone the hysterectomy, as I would need to have my mitral valve repaired first.

So...here I am just two days from Open-Heart surgery, and rather scared.... but more scared of what will happen if I don't have it.

My surgeon is pretty sure he can repair my valve even though he said it would take a little longer than usual, because both flaps need repair. If he can't send me home with my own valve, he will use a mechanical valve made of carbon.

Any advice or comfort from someone who's btdt, would be welcomed right now! The worst thing is, that as soon as I'm physically able, I still need to have the hysterctomy!

Oh well, it will be a loooonnnggg summer, but I should feel like a new woman after recovering from both surgeries.

Thanks for listening and what ever advice you can send, Jean

Hello Jean and welcome to the family.

Your definately in the right place and you'll soon have all the answers to your questions. I'm not a Mitral person, so I'll leave that to those that are.

Try not to get yourself all worked up. I know it's easier said then done, but it's not as bad as you may think. I'm 13 days away from Aortic Valve Replacement and I understand the fear and anxiety it all poses.

Hang in there for some of the others.
They are better at comforting then I am. :D
I need to reinvent my writing style.

Hi Jean-

And Welcome to this wonderful site. Two days, huh?, Well, that's good, you won't have much time to think about it.

The terrific thing is that they found out about your condition and are able to do something abou it right away.

My husband has had three valve surgeries and lots of other stuff, that I won't bore you with. He's had several surgeries that he thought were much worse than valve surgery. So I have to listen to him, he's been there, done that many times.

Your pain will be very well controlled and they will have you up and moving soon after surgery. The site will be sore for a while, but not excruciating. But you would expect that with any surgery, right? Coughing will hurt and sneezing, the most, but if you have a little pillow with you to clutch to your chest when these things happen, it minimizes it. Some hospitals provide these heart pillows, some don't. Check on it with yours.

Above all, I want to wish you all the best on your shiny new heart. I hope someone can post for you and let us all know how you did.

Hope to see you here often.

Jean - Great to have you on our site. I had my mitral valve repaired last year, Jan 2001 in Cleveland. The surgery is not as bad as you can imagine. They will keep you in ICU with lots of electronics and tubes, however it is short lived and bearable. Most will stay in ICU about 24 hours, the rest is much easier once they have you walking. I was unlucky and was in ICU for three days. Good luck with all of this and hope you get out quick and tell us about your experience. I think you will agree with me.

Hello

Hello

Hello Jean,

Welcome to the family.

I just passed my 3 month anniversary for AVR and I'm feeling great. The first couple of weeks of recovery were a little tough, but each week got easier. By week 6 I was feeling very good and I had
very few restrictions.

Learning the news that you need this MVR so quickly must have come as a shock. However, the good thing is that you don't have to wait long for the surgery. Most of the folks here can tell you that the waiting is the hardest part.

Best of luck to you on the 30th. Many of us will be thinking of you and saying prayers for you.

Ron K

Hi Jean,

30.5 years ago, I had both valves replaced. I have had them replaced 3 years ago. Still clicking and livin!!!! Seen much of the new world with the mechanical valves. It is not a church picnic, but you will have pain medication. It is not only a physical trip, but an emotional trip.

We have all been there, done that. Let us all know how we can help. Have faith in your medical staff and follow their advice. Ask on this forum if anything does not seen correct.

God Bless!

John & Joann

Hey Jean and welcome - Find Brooks' post on "surgery update". He just had his the other day and has given a complete "from the time you go in til you get out" report and it will help you so much. The fear is awesome and the worst part of the entire thing. You are about to receive your very own personal miracle so have faith that all will be well and they will take very good care of you. One other thing, tho - hang onto the little pillow they give you. It sure is a help after surgery. Please keep us posted and let us know as you progress. God bless

Hi Jean, I , too, only had 3 days..they found an aneursym ..and 3 days later..I received a mech. valve...Was in hospital 6 days..NO pain..but very foggy...When you go home, let darling hubby wait on you..Mine still wants to and it's been 9 weeks...Also, remember to walk, walk, walk...around the nurses station, at home inside and as soon as you feel like getting outside. Recovery will go much quicker.. Let us know on this forum if you have any questions..I know you will do just fine.. God Bless. Bonnie

hi jean!
welcome to this site. it is a wonderful find; everyone is so caring, helpful and informative.
i don't have much to add, the others said it all.
i know this is a very scary time for you and your family, but it'll all be behind you in no time and you will be on your way to recovery before you know it.
wishing you all the best and, if you can, please have someone keep us posted on your condition.
God bless and we'll be thinking of you and praying,
sylvia

Tomorrow's the day!

Tomorrow's the day!

Hello Everyone,
thanks for all your support, and once again it's great to have found this board!! It's truly a GODSEND!as

I went for my surgical prep today, met two men who are having by-pass surgery on Friday, we all sat and watched a video on the by-pass surgery, and then valve surgery.

We were then each given a bottle of lime flavored laxative, that I have to go take soon, and the Hibiclens or how ever you spell it, that I need to shower with tonight and then again tomorrow at the hospital.

I had some blood drawn, but had all my other tests, EKG, chest X-ray, urine culture etc. done last week at my pre-op physical appt. (In MN it's now state law that you have a pre-op physical within 1 week of your surgery.)

I don't expect to get any sleep tonight, as I have to be there at 5AM tomorrow, and it's 1 1/2 hour drive! They were going to give me a sleeping pill to take, but I don't think my darling husband would be able to wake me at 3AM if I took that!

I'm going to try to get him or my dd to post something here over the weekend, otherwise I'll see ya all on the other side of the mountain! :D Jean

Bless your heart, it's gonna be a long night, so get a good book. Can hubby post to us? or someone? Just remember, as you are goin in, there are VR hands touching yours as you walk up that mountain and we are just over the top to welcome you to this side. It's great over here. Godspeed

You'll be fine!

You'll be fine!

Hi Jean,

This may be too late for you to see before hand, but on the off-chance you're checking the board one last time, I want to wish you the best of luck tomorrow.

As an aside, read the posts about BrooksM, he was in a similar situation with only a couple of days to prepare. By what I have read, it seems he is making an unusually fast recovery.

Relax, let them take care of you, and before you know it, you'll be on the way to recovery.

See you on the other side of the mountain.

Latest posts

Back