New Guy

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Guys,

My wife just got a call back from my cardiologist (I'm at work so
I couldn't talk to him). After reviewing my echo and chart he told my wife that another echo isn't needed and to stay the course until surgery. My valve area is just over (not less than) .8 cm sq and the enlargement is noticable but the heart shoould return to normal size some time after surgery.

My surgeon is Dr. Kshettry. I haven't met him but will soon. My surgery will be at Abbott Northwestern in Minneapolis (about 70 miles south of where I live).

Thanks again for the concern. This place is awesome!!!!!!

Ron

Hi Ron-

You just hang in there and behave until surgery. It'll be here soon enough and you have time to get stuff done so you can coast during your recovery phase.

Stay well,

Bicuspid Aortic Valve

Bicuspid Aortic Valve

Hi Ron-

I'm the Jackie from the "SYMPTOMS" thread. I'm also from Minnesota. Abbott Northwestern is a great hospital. That's where I've done most of my echos. I was debating whether to go to Abbott or Mayo for my surgery. Who knows when for that.--2 years? After talking w/John & Mara, I decided to check out this Synergraft at Mayo w/Dr. Kenton Zehr, to see if it's an option.

Do you have to get a mechanical valve because of your age? My cardiologist said that the valve opening isn't the only criteria for surgery. 1.0 cm 2 is critical, but she said it's also the mean gradient and velocity. My valve opening is at 1.3 cm 2 and I'm at moderate stenosis, but I sure have a lot of symptoms.

Sounds like you're tired, which isn't fun. I have to balance my days, otherwise if I do too much, I'm wiped out for a whole day. Naps are usually the norm though.

This site is great. It's so wonderful to have such supportive and friendly people to talk with and ease our minds. I think it's hard for family members to really understand, which makes sense since they're not going through this. Plus we have an added bonus of great advice on what to expect and what we can do after surgery to heal.

Take good care of yourself.
Jackie

Hi Jackie,

Good to have another Minnesota person around on this forum!

Looks like you have a lot of symptoms! So far fatigue is the problem I have, but I've been tired (maybe lazy) all my life. I'm being a real good boy until surgery on November 13th.

I looked at information about different valves and chose what was recommended to me by my cardiologist. I really don't want to have to replace the valve down the road and I've been on coumadin since June with no problems so that doesn't bother me.

Ron

Hey Ron

Hey Ron

Sorry that I missed your post till now. I am always busy and never lurk in all that this place has to offer. I am a aortic St Jude's person myself, one year later and feeling better, more energy and walking without stopping and catching my breathe. I am walking more and hope to lose the weight I have gained over time. You will be in good company and I with everyone else here welcome you with open arms. Be good and hang in there. You will be fine.

Caroline
09-13-01
Aortic valve replacement
St. Jude's valve

Hey Ron, where is Mora? I am from Rochester, MN. I grew up there, and my family still lives there, but I moved to WA with the navy(my husband is the sailor, and hates being called that!). I was just wondering John Cochran lives in Minneapolis, MN, and as you know, Weekycat lives in princeton. I had my MVR in August 27th of 2001. I had all the classic symptoms of mitral stenosis, and they were not fun! I hope your surgery goes well, and keep us posted!

Hi Joy and Caroline,

Mora is about 60 some miles north on Minneapolis on highway 65. I have a cousin that lives in Kasson(?) which isn't to far from Rochester and my wife's family is from Faribault.

I'm glad you are doing good Caroline. I'll be glad to get the surgery over and get on with life!!!!! I've been losing weight since my heart episode at the end of June and I'm 48 pounds lighter with another 38 to go. I was a BIG boy at 6 foot 2 inches and 305 pounds!!!!! I want as much weight gone before surgery as possible!!!!

This forum is awesome and has helped me get through some stuff! Thanks everybody!!!!

Ron

Ron,
Congrats on the weight loss--looks like you're on-track! I was just at Abbott-Northwestern Hospital, where I believe your surgery is planned, for my son's ablation procedure. The people were really nice, and made sure the family stayed informed throughout the procedure. And, most important, my son's procedure was a complete success! I believe you'll be in really good hands there. Keep up the good work on the weight loss; not only will it help you at surgery time, but your recovery will be a lot easier too.

Best,
John (in Minneapolis)

Latest posts

Back