New Drug Aces Heart Failure Challenge

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ILoVeNY25

Came across this on AOL Health and thought I'd share. I was on Vasotec for years before my surgery...

Study: New Drug Aces Heart Failure Challenge

By Jennifer Warner
WebMD Medical News

(July 30) -- A dual-action drug may soon challenge ACE inhibitors as the medication of choice for treating some people with heart failure. A new study shows the experimental drug omapatrilat was just as good -- and perhaps even slightly better -- than the ACE inhibitor Vasotec in reducing the risk of death or hospitalization for these patients.

ACE inhibitors, such as Vasotec, Zestril, and Altace, have become increasingly popular in recent years as an inexpensive means to lower blood pressure and treat heart failure with relatively few side effects. They work by inhibiting the action of the angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE), which causes blood vessels to constrict and interfere with blood flow.

But omapatrilat is a new type of dual-action drug that inhibits ACE as well as another enzyme (neutral endopeptidase or NEP) that helps blood vessels relax.

In the study, researchers compared the effects of the two drugs in a group of 5,770 patients with heart failure for about 15 months. These patients ranged in severity of heart failure from those who had minimal symptoms to those with moderate to severe shortness of breath with walking or had symptoms at rest.

By the end of the study, 973 of the patients who received Vasotec had either died or been hospitalized because of complications from heart failure, compared with 914 of those who took omapatrilat. That translates to a 6% reduction in the risk of death for those using omapatrilat.

Researchers say those findings show that omapatrilat is as effective, but not necessarily superior to Vasotec, in reducing risks in people with heart failure.

But when researchers analyzed their results further and applied a broader definition of heart failure or focused on all heart-related complications, they found omapatrilat had a slight advantage over the ACE inhibitor alone.

"The trial shows that omapatrilat is effective in treating heart failure," says lead researcher Milton Packer, MD, of Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, in a news release. "And we have some indications that omapatrilat may be superior to a standard ACE inhibitor in some individuals."

Packer says the study suggests that this drug may have a special role in treating people who have both high blood pressure and heart failure, and he says more research is needed in this area.

Although both drugs were generally well tolerated in the study, patients in the omapatrilat group were more likely to experience dizziness and low blood pressure. Patients in the Vasotec group were more likely to experience worsening heart function and kidney problems.

The complete study appears in today's issue of Circulation: Journal of the American Heart Association.

A study released earlier this year also found omapatrilat was more effective than Vasotec in reducing blood vessel stiffness, a major risk factor for heart attacks, stroke, and other problems in people with high blood pressure.

Reviewed By Charlotte Grayson, MD
© 2002 WebMD Inc. All rights reserved.

I'm on an ACE inhibitor, Accupril. It seems to be working well, although I still have some mild edema. However, it causes me the nastiest tickle and associated cough in my throat. Any info on whether or not omapatrilat has a similar side-effect?

I was on Zestril for a while and it gave me the same tickle. Drove me @@#$%$#@! nuts. My doctor swore that only those patients he mentioned this potential side effect to actually developed it, LOL.

Both my old cardiologist and my new one have wanted me to take Altace, but I have so far refused. I realize that the cardiologist must know something, but I have read the PDR pages on the drug, and I have questions:
1. Why were valve patients specifically excluded from trials of the drug?
2. Why is the drug specifically limited to people over 55?
3. Why am I being prescribed a drug which lowers blood pressure when my blood pressure has always been low?
When I saw the cardiologist last spring, the physician's assistant noted that the Altace was really working because my blood pressure was so good; I then made the mistake of telling her I wasn't taking it, which meant that other questions didn't get answered.

I have asked my good friend, Dr Rich, over in About.com (heart disease/cardiology) about this new drug as he is up on everything about hearts and medicines and this is his comment:

To: HENSYLEE (2 of 3)

1622.2 in reply to 1622.1

Omapatrilat has a very uncertain future. In the study you quoted, omapatrilat actually failed to meet the primary endpoint, though there were suggestions it would be helpful in heart failure. A few weeks ago, the FDA advisory panel recommended NOT approving this drug for hypertension, because its efficacy is only marginally better than ACE inhibitors, and there is a substantial risk of life-threatening allergic reactions (especially in African-American patients.)

Bristol-Myers-Squibb, which has spent many years and hundreds of millions of dollars developing this drug, is likely to give up on it now, rather than throw more time/money at it. Such are the risks of bringing new drugs to market, and hence the cost of new drugs that actually make it.

DrRich

Looks like this one is down the tubes.

I too developed a dry hacking cough after a few months on Zestril.

My cardiologist switched me to COZAAR and the cough went away in a couple of weeks. This was all pre-surgery. Post surgery, I'm on Toprol XL and Zocor (and Coumadin).

'AL'

ACE - maybe blood pressure med? Nancy, help.

Dave, I have been on Atenolol for more than 2 years. It slows down the heart and maybe that's why archers get steadier hands. I think it makes me sleep deeper at night.

Last edited:
Interesting! I sometimes just like to check out the new advances, with hope that by the time I need my second surgery, maybe I won't have to take coumadin, yet maybe it will be the last surgery I will ever need. I am on metoprolol (lopressor) and it keeps me from getting PVC's. I got lucky and never had a problem with A fib, but I think the metoprolol keeps me out of it. I have no more edema, and it actually helps with my migraines! My cardiologist is awesome! Take it easy!

Here's a great site for all medical terms, diseases, etc.

http://www.medterms.com/script/main/AlphaIdx.asp?p=A_DICT

Here's what they say about ACE Inhibitors and Beta Blockers:

ACE inhibitor:
A drug that inhibits ACE (angiotensin converting enzyme) which is important to the formation of angiotensin II. Angiotensin II causes arteries in the body to constrict and thereby raises the blood pressure. ACE inhibitors lower the blood pressure by inhibiting the formation of angiotensin II. This relaxes the arteries. Relaxing the arteries not only lowers blood pressure, but also improves the pumping efficiency of a failing heart and improves cardiac output in patients with heart failure. ACE inhibitors are therefore used for blood pressure control and congestive heart failure. The currently available ACA inhibitors include:
benazepril (brand name: LOTENSIN),
captopril (brand name: CAPOTEN),
lisinopril (brand names: ZESTRIL and PRINIVIL),
quinapril (brand name: ACCUPRIL), and
ramipril (brand name: ALTACE). ACE inhibitors may slow the progress of diabetic kidney disease in middle-aged persons with type 2 diabetes. Some (but not all) experts have therefore recommended giving ACE inhibitors to all middle-aged type 2 diabetics. (Reference: Annals of Internal Medicine 1999;131:660-667, 707-708.) Historically, it is interesting that the ACE inhibitors were originally developed from the venom of a poisonous Brazilian snake.

Beta Blocker:
A class of drugs that block beta-adrenergic substances such as adrenaline (epinephrine), a key agent in the "sympathetic" portion of the autonomic (involuntary) nervous system.
By blocking the action of the sympathetic nervous system on the heart, beta blockers relieve stress on the heart. They slow the heart beat, lessen the force with which the heart muscle contracts and reduce blood vessel contraction in the heart, brain, and throughout the body.
Beta blockers can serve to treat abnormal heart rhythms (cardiac arrhythmias). They are used specifically to prevent abnormally fast heart rates (tachycardias) or irregular heart rhythms such as premature ventricular beats.
Since beta blockers reduce the demand of the heart muscle for oxygen and the chest pain of angina pectoris occurs when the oxygen demand of the heart exceeds the supply, beta blockers can be useful in treating angina. They have also become an important drug in improving survival after a person has had a heart attack.
Thanks to their effect on blood vessels, beta blockers can lower the blood pressure and be of value in the treatment of hypertension.
Other uses for beta blockers include the prevention of migraine headaches and the treatment of certain types of tremors (familial or hereditary essential tremors).
The beta blockers (with brand names) include acebutolol (Sectral), atenolol (Tenormin), bisoprolol (Zebeta), metoprol (Lopressor, Lopressor LA, Toprol XL), nadolol (Corgard), and timolol (Blocadren). Beta blockers are also available in combination with a diuretic as, for example, with bisoprolol and hydrochlorothiazide (Ziac).
Beta blockers reduce the pressure within the eye (the intraocular pressure), probably by reducing the production of the liquid (aqueous humor) within the eye, and so are used to lessen the risk of damage to the optic nerve and loss of vision in glaucoma. Beta blocker preparations for this purpose include timolol ophthalmic solution (Timoptic) and betaxolol hydrochloride (Betopic, Betopic S).

Inderal

Inderal

For some reason Inderal was left out of the previous discussion as a beta blocker. I found the following:
Propranolol ( Inderal ) is a antianginal, antiarrhythmic, antihypertensive, antitimigraine drug, and beta blocker. Propranolol ( Inderal ) is not a benzodiazepines, it belongs to a group of drugs known as beta blockers. Beta blockers are not FDA approved for the treatment of anxiety or nervous tension but are generally used to do so. Propranolol ( Inderal ) is also used in the treatment of aggressive behavior, angina, certain types of pain, high blood pressure, migraine headaches, narcotic withdrawal, panic attacks, pectoris, phobias, schizophrenia, tremors, to help prevent second heart attack, and the effects of antipsychotic drugs. This drug is not habit forming and may be taken for months or even years.
I first started taking Propranolol ( Inderal ) because of cluster migraines. It also helps my HBP

Inderal is an old-timey drug - has been around a loong time, but is a good one. Drs may be forgetting it in favor of newer (and more expensive) drugs - shame. Recall that my ex tried it before speaking publicly - it was often used by speakers just before a speech in order to cut down on stage fright. Interesting. They found that besides its original use, there were many more conditions that it helps - as listed above by h.

thank you all so much for that education!
i had an idea of what each did, but this really clarified and specified each's function.
thanks so much, ( considering half my relatives take either).
be well, sylvia

Latest posts

Back