Need help desperately!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

liya771

Hi,

My name is Liya. I need help desperately.
My cousin who is 35 yrs. old have heart problems. She had heart valve surgery about 13 yrs ago and the left valve (bicuspid valve) is replced. Now, she is having problems with tricuspid valve and the aorta valve. The cardiologist said that her tricuspid valve is leaking severely and the aorta valve is leaking moderately. However, he doesn't think that she need surger right now.

She complains of feeling tired and short of breath. Specially, the last three month she has been in and out of the hospital.

My question is that do you think her doctor is right? I am very afraid that something might happen to her. What do you think I should do?
Liya

Hi Liya-

Welcome to the site. I'm sorry your cousin finds herself in this condition. I think she needs to seek a second opinion at this point. From what you are saying, it appears that her condition is worsening.

However, depending on the actual testing numbers, some doctors will hold off on surgery and keep a careful eye on things until they see test numbers getting to a certain level. This is especially true when it is the second, third or more surgical procedure. There are some standard rules that most doctors go by, but there is a little leeway for different interpretations by different doctors, and it also can depend somewhat on the symptoms the patient presents with.

A second opinion will help to shed a little more light on the situation. Some people have even sought a third opinion.

Remember, this is her life, not the doctor's and it is important to be proactive with one's own care.

I wish her the best. Please let us know how things are going for her.

Hello, Liya

I would have to agree with Nancy, that a second opinion is what I would pursue. You say she feels tired and short of breath - she and her doctors will have to weigh the impact of the symptoms on her quality of life, and take into account the risks of surgery. A second opinion will help you work out the risks and perhaps yield other options.

Please pass along my best wishes to your cousin.

hi liya!
welcome to this wonderful site. everyone here is so helpful, kind and sensitive.
i think nancy and johnny are right, a second opinion is a good idea.
it must be so frightening for you to see your cousin like this. please come back and visit with us and let us know what happens with your cousin.
wishing you all the best, sylvia

Hi Liya,

So good to see that you made it here from my post on WebMD.

I agree with the other responses, a second opinion is in order here. Your cousin can make a list of questions and be better prepared for the second opinion appointment.

Your cousin hopefully will visit this site, obtain knowledge, ask questions, and learn how to manage their health care.

I wish your cousin good luck, and please visit often, ask questions, and obtain piece of mind.

Regards,
Bob

Hi,
Wow, what a wonderful webpage.
First, I would like to thank Rob who introduce me to this great website and very nice poeple. I also would like to thank Nancy, Johnny, Sylvia, and Rob for your responses.

I agree with all of you getting a second opinion is the only solution we have. However, she has Kaiser(HMO) insurance and Kaiser doctors don't want her to go outside the net work. So far, she has seen about four Kaiser cardiologists and they all are saying the same thing. I am sure, all the doctors are wrong because she is getting very weak to the point that she use a cane to get around the house as well as outside.

My problem is that money is an issue for us. We want the insurance company to pay for the doctor visit but we can't do it unless her doctor gives us the permision. I don't know what to do.

If anybody has any idea what I should do, please let me know.

Thank you again

Liya

Latest posts

Back