Nashville updates, up close and personal

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pictures

Pictures

Yeah, Where's the pictures??
I kinow Billy took some as well.
I am still in the dark ages so I am waiting on the film to be developed and then I will put some on line..
Pretty said to wait for a slow guy like me. lol

Ben

Hi Cristi!

Boy am I embarrased. And I thought you were talking about a drink! :eek: :eek: I never had that pasta dish. Sounds like it would be real good. If you and Rob ever come into town we should go there. I actually live in suburb about 50 miles northwest of Chicago. I do commute to work every day to Chicago. I generally go out to eat in areas around where I live but I have been known to frequent places downtown! I've heard of Roses but I've never been there. I will find out where it is. Take care!

SCARS

SCARS

There's been no mention of comparing scars - don't tell me you all chickened out. Or maybe we're just waiting for the pics.

Back down to earth......eventually.

Back down to earth......eventually.

Sunday 21st September

Hi Everybody

Sorry Hensylee that I was so long in posting, but I just got back to Ireland this morning. The reverse jet-lag is worse than the trip across, so I hope that I can stay awake long enough to get my views of Nashville into print........eventually.

Perry got on to the Tennessee by-ways for an hour last Sunday
morning.......well I got on them for a week and just got off of them on Friday. I knew it would take some time to get back down to earth after the re-union, so I decided to explore rural USA. After six previous trips across the wide pond, I realised that I had never really seen much past the city limits and that there would be a whole new world out there waiting to be explored. It's not for the faint hearted this beautiful country of y'all's (Is that the correct way y'all spell it?)

It was a wonderful experience seeing around tham thar hills and valleys, and trees, loads of trees and roads......jeeze what roads y'all have and the cost of 'gas' - 99 cents in places. In Northern Ireland we pay more for a litre than y'all pay for a gallon - Dunno what Tony Blair does with the money, certainly doesn't build roads with it.

Anyway back to last weekend and a 'unique' experience of a lifetime. I had a lotta time to think and ponder on the way out to Nashville. Time to really think about how I had become involved with this rather special group of very 'human' beings. It was a very sad event in my life that got me involved with all of you. When I joined VR.com, I was probably at my most desperate stage in my grieving process.

I thought of Myrtle and wondered if perhaps she was really there in spirit. I know if things had been different she would have really enjoyed making the trip to the re-union and I kinda felt that she was happy that I was going.

Many of you probably don't realise this, but for most of the last year, I have 'talked' more to all of you than I have to my neighbours or friends in Northern Ireland. You all became a very big part of my life, some more than others. I was always so happy to reply to posts on the forum, or to e-mail a reply to anyone who took the time to write personally to me. And I really appreciated every one of you for accepting me into your unique group.

You can therefore imagine how emotional I felt as I got closer to the actual meeting. It was an experience that I cannot put into words. I thought about who I most wanted to meet and although I didn't communicate a lot with them, I suddenly just wanted to hug Hank and Michelle first, even before I met anybody else. Without both of them none of us would have been there. God bless you both.

Well it didn't quite happen that way, I arrived at the Embassy suites and there y'all were, just a bunch of wonderful people who again made me feel so welcome. Folks I'd never met before who seemed like I'd known them all my life. Boy was I glad when somebody mentioned a 'Margarita.' If ever an Irishman needed a drink I needed one last Friday morning around 10.30am.

Even before the demon drink had time to take effect, it all became kinda 'blurry.' I have a vague recollection of a lotta hugs some from those with 'avatars' and some from completely new faces. I don't really know what would have happened if the 'Mandolin' Man hadn't appeared complete with instrument and settled me down. Thanks Dick Vincent for helping to bring
me back to reality. If you wanna settle Billy's nerves, get the 'jam' session going and that's just what you did. I thought we were gonna need Musician's 'union' cards to be allowed to use the piano, but I think the hotel Manager thought it would be better to let us play rather than face the consequences of refusing. The bar takings sure didn't suffer for us being there, the 'two drink' limit was quickly forgotten and I hope the music improved as the Margaritas and Bloody Mary's were lowered.

As the morning turned into afternoon I got to meet with each of you on a more personal level.

Hank and Michelle.........Better mention the Boss and Spouse first. Nothing I can say that hasn't already been said. Two very wonderful people who have affected all our lives and brought us together. Your efforts have blessed us all.

Janie.............is just Janie, same on the forum or in real life. A very wonderful, special Lady. Janie was the first person to reply to my first post on VR.com last October. She offered help and sympathy when I most needed these and a bond has developed and grown over the past twelve months. She is so special to me in so many ways, and despite her very youthful appearance, she remembered all the songs that Dick and I played, even some from the early fifties. Musicians the world over just love to have their efforts appreciated.

Bob Gleason......The Yankee Cowboy, right in the middle of real 'Cowboy' country. Thank you for your gift Bob and Happy Birthday once again. Bob you need a hat and boots if you're gonna come to Nashville. No problem with your accent, I understood everything you said. You're a very warm Guy and I'm so glad you were there. Please bring Mrs Gleason next time, you need all the moral support you can get in the sporting activities, I know these other Guys give you a real hard time. Perhaps I should apologise for their distasteful behaviour in this respect. Does that allow me to 'skip' confessions this time around?

Dick and Kay.........Dick must be the ideal husband. He is a man of few words. Even on the forum his posts are often 'one-liners.' How many Wives must yearn for a man who is so considerate in this respect. It was a pleasure to meet both of you and to share in the music with Dick. I also enjoyed Kay's company at dinner on Friday night and I'm grateful to both of you for providing my honorary 'plastic valve' which I wore at the official dinner.

Bob and Geri..........Great to meet both of you and thank you for your very thoughtful gift. I exchanged e-mails with Bob last December at a time when we were both having sad events in our lives. Thank you for your friendship over the last year.

Tammy and David........New faces to me although Tammy has been a member of the 'valve community' for a long time. It was so good to get to meet both of you also as previously our paths hadn't really crossed. Tammy, you're a bunch of 'fun.'

Lorraine/Sister/and Friend..........Two big events in one week Lorraine, birthday first and then the re-union. No wonder you were getting your drinks and your pasta's mixed up. It was good to meet you all.

Ben and Cindy...........The last of the early 'arrivers.' Now why did I leave these two to last? Ben Smith you are the cutest Guy I have ever met, but Cindy's much better looking...sorry Ben.
What a gentle Giant, and I mean Giant. Folks if you have any doubts about coming to the next re-union, believe me it will be worth the trip to meet our Ben Smith. Certainly one of nature's Gentlemen or should that read GentleBOY....Hell he's only a kid and a real big one at that. Ben I hope you've stopped growing....and the boots, I just loved them. Please get started right away if you want to have that pony-tail ready for next
October.

Well those were the 'Friday morning' people. We were joined later by a few others for the dinner on Friday night.............

Gina.............Now what a surprise, never trust an avatar. So good to meet you and get to know you Gina. Thanks for your company at the 'Palace' and for the ride to dinner on Saturday night. Glad you didn't lock ME in the car.

Perry...........Another surprise from the avatar. I thought you were about Ben's height. Enjoyed our photographic talk and I know that you will be a big asset to VR.com in the future. Your ideas and suggestions will make the site even better, if that's possible.

Rob That's Me and Cristi (Now also known as 'Rob That's She') Rob, we planned on drinking a lotta beers in Nashville and we never got round to it. Never mind, as we say in Ireland the 'crack' was good and there's always next time. Come join us for the jam session next year, Dick and I need the support. So pleased to meet you Cristi and to share our 'experiences.'

What a group!!! Those who didn't get to attend this time, please plan on making the trip to Vegas next October. The dinners both nights were good, so good on Saturday night that I think I missed a small part at the end, perhaps it was just a few 'senior moments.' Never mind, I had a real good time, with real good
people. Only three disappointments, that Rain, Mara and David didn't make it in the end. You were all greatly missed and I know that you will be there next time. Hopefully there will be many of the newer faces along too. Thank you all for accepting a valveless Irishman into your midst and making him feel so welcome.

And you know what...........Due to weather conditions, Golf, Toga Party and Scar Contest were postponed till next time and we got right thru the weekend without even a mention of Mexican food.

What a relief!!!...................I'm only kidding Janie.

God Bless y'all

P.S. Ben and Bob - Your new avatar's will be with you in the next few days.

Last edited:
Hey Billy - glad to hear from you. Sounds like you had an unforgettable trip. Also happy to hear you saw some of the beautiful Tennessee countryside. Happen to pass Perry on your backroad trip? (ha)

Hope you can post pix. God bless

Welcome Back, Billy

Welcome Back, Billy

Was that YOU in that rusty old Ford that almost ran me off the road? Billy, I enjoyed your excellent reply and please e-mail me your regular mailing address (we call it snail-mail) so I can send you one of my digital photo catalogs I was describing to ya.

Cheers!

Looking forward to seeing you again in Las Vegas.

Hey ..the reunion sounded so much fun ....the photos are really great Hank ..thanks for posting them for us all to see....
I think the rest of us an envious that we did n't get to meet you all ...

Billy so glad you made it home okay ...we were starting to worry that you'd got lost out there and weren't coming home when there was no sign of you for a few days ...if you're ever coming across to this side you'll have to let me know as I would love to meet you ..glad you had such a great time ...and I'm sure your Myrtle was with you and very pleased and proud at how you've gone on ...well done young man !

*Wondering how I can save enough money to go to Vegas with out the family *..we have been over a few yrs ago and we spent a few days in Vegas ..the kids called it "Sparkle City" ..quite a change from a small Highland village ....they would kill me if I tried to sneak over without them ...but with college looming for the oldest two kids I doubt I'll make it ..darn!!!!!!
anyway glad you all had such a great time
Scottie

Hey Billy!

Hey Billy!

I may have failed to mention this when I did my summarization of Nashville, but as the week has gone by many remembrances keep coming up..........one especially.

........we said our "so-longs" (not goodbyes) to each other, embraced and yes, even planted a kiss or two on each other's cheek. My eyes filled up and I suspect yours did as well.

.......Just two friends culminating a special time, well-worth the year or so, waiting.

You, my friend are one class act.

Thanks.

Revolutionary new INR machine.

Revolutionary new INR machine.

Oh my...I did have my finger in Ben's mouth...After all, I thought that was how you took someone's INR...teehee!

BEN SMITH.......Where are you????

BEN SMITH.......Where are you????

Hey Ben

I've got your new 'avatar' ready for you and I don't have your e-mail address. Can you please send it to me and I'll forward the pic so that everybody can see how 'BEAUTIFUL' you are.

This is Hank Posing as Ben

This is Hank Posing as Ben

Hello - Thanks for the pic Billy - This is Hank testing Ben's new avatar that I whipped up for him.

I'll be getting everyone elses up soon

Captioned Contest

Captioned Contest

Hey Hank,

What happened to all our posts?

OK, now I understand.

The complainers on this board need to get a life.

Waaaaaaaaaa

Waaaaaaaaaa

I agree, Dick.

Complainers..... Get a life! Who were the complainers anyway??

You know the old saying..... If you can?t take the heat.... stay out of the kitchen.

There are many other threads to be read if you don?t like this one!

Rain

What was there to complain about? I thought we were all just having fun. The post were funny. Gee, we could have had a picture posted about my sister locked in the car or me in the land of the giants. Any comments about that too would have made me laugh. Life is too short(no pun intended) and we have been blessed with a second chance. I agree Rain, there are plenty of other threads to get on if you didn't like the caption contest!

come on Hank

come on Hank

Let us have our fun.
Or were you a bit nervous about the pic Billy was going to show of you????
Just kiddin'.

The caption contest was getting fun.

Ben

Back