My trip to the ER Monday night

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

alicia

I had to go to ER Monday night and didnt get discharged until 9am Tuesday morning! Oh how uncomfortable those stetchers are. They had to end up giving me a strong pain pill because my back and chest were hurting from laying there so long!

I went due to flutters and rapid heartbeats. When they put me in triage my heartrate was 124. They immediately moved me to a room and after 4 attempts got an IV started. Chest x ray revealed I have a partialy collapsed lung probably since surgery. They did an EKG and kept me on heart monitor. Ny HR never dropped below 100 and I had several bouts of taccacrdia (sp).

My cardiologist got to ER and decided to have a drug put in my IV that stopped my heart for 5 seconds and made me flush all over to determine what rhythum my heart was in. I was in sinus taccacardia. He decided to put me back on Coreg and Digoxin. Im dreading them kicking in beacuse before when I took them they slowed me down incredibly.

I called my cardiologist at Duke and they have the echo tape from my local cardiologist and will review tomorrow and call me with their interpreation of it. I go see my local cardiologist next week for evaluation/foolow up from ER visist and to discuss what Duke found out about tape. Im starting a long list of things to go over with him.

Sorry about long post, I guess I have to get it out. Im trying to remain positive.

Alicia:

I just came on line, and saw this post. You must have great fear.

I do not know your full story, but just this part sounds like you've been through a lot. But, it also sounds like you've got things under control, and getting the help you need.

As Nancy says, never give up. There is a whole new level of care that you may be getting. These guys are very very smart. I am confident they will be able to help you.

I am sure there will be a lot of other posts from folks who know your entire story, but I just had to jump right on and reply when I read your post. My prayers will be with you during this set back.

Marybeth

We're listening and thats great

We're listening and thats great

Alicia - The reason our listening is so great is that you're still talking ! I'm sure you've had a pretty scary experience, and I'm not at all qualified to guess where your next journey might take you, but I'm guessing it won't be so bad. My guess is that meds and maybe a pacemaker AT WORST may take care of the problem. In the meantime, deep breath, relax and take it one at a time, just like we all have to do. Rootin for you. Chris

Alicia,
Been there...weird heartbeats, a-fib, all sorts of drugs, etc. and never got an explanation why it happened. Occured about a year after my second AVR. Fortunately, it hasn't happened since, although I'm on permanent Digoxin and Atenolol.
I sincerely hope they get this under control for you...and with your spirit of determination, you will win! I'll bet you've met your deductible for the year!
You take care and keep us posted on everything...

Hey Barrett, I was a state employee sio thank God Ive got great insurance. My deductible started July 1 and I had met it by august. Ive met my out of pocket. My surgery at Duke was $75,000 and I only had to pay $100...I stay on this until I am eligable for Medicare next year due to being on disability.

Did the Digixin make you really tired and slow for awhile? I took it last year and I remember it doing that to me for several months.

My guess is I will need a pacemaker. They have been talking about it for sometime now and it seems as if I need one soon.

Alicia - Sorry to hear about your latest. I think those places should make more of an effort to make you comfotable. It seems bad enough that you have to be there in the first place. Anyway, I hope the cardio gives you good answers tomorrow and I will keep you in my prayers.

Alicia,
Great news about your out of pocket expense! I've been on .25 mg Digoxin per day and either 100 to 200 mg Atenolol ( 100 A.M. 100 P.M.) since about a week after my first surgery in '93. Unless the Atenolol gets out of whack, for whatever reason, I don't notice any slow-down or sluggish feeling. They put me on Betapace once in '96 and I went into afib that took four days in the hospital to convert! Even the morning of the Chicago Marathon, I took my normal dose of 100 mg Atenolol with Coumadin and never had any tired feeling, (other than at the end, which was to be expected!)
Everyone is different, I realize, and they should be able to come up with a "cocktail" of sorts that will agree with your lifestyle. Work with them but don't let them just prescribe something because "that's what everyone else takes."

Hi Alicia-

I'm so sorry to hear about your trip to the ER. That's so scary. Joe has a pacemaker and he got his because he had heartbeats that were too slow, causing him to faint. On the other hand he also had periods of time when his heart rate would race something like 160 bpm. He was in afib and aflutter as well. The EP who worked with him on the pacemaker said they would put one in to control the slow heartbeats and then control the rapid heartbeats with drugs.

This has worked very well for him.

There are lots of fixes for almost every abnormal heartbeat.

Keep positive as you are trying to do, and don't throw in the towel. They're just getting started on you and now you have their attention. That's a good thing.

Wishing you all the best.

Hey Alicia - you said 'there were problems', in a recent post. Maybe this is what it was and is. My prayers are yours for a successful treatment and that they get it going right away. Please keep us up to date. God bless

I forgot to add something about Digoxin. I must be getting forgetful too. Doctors usually monitor Digoxin carefully because it can have unwanted side effects if there is too much in the system. Joe, on occasion, has been taken off it because it was at toxic levels in his bloodwork.
Here's a link, for side effects go to page 2.

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/Art.asp?li=MNI&ArticleKey=771&page=1

Last edited:
alicia

alicia

I'd see if I could see the doctor sooner. And call, if the Duke doctor doesn't get back to you ASAP

That was very scarey for you especially after the news from your echo.
I had a episode of tachacardia, after non-stop vomiting and dry heaveing, I got my first dose of nitro in the ER, along with several other drugs TNTC, I knew my 'cause "meds" I always had a problems with them/reaction, usually vomiting. this was almost a month post-op.

I did follow up with my dr the next day, Saturday, and then again on Monday, persistance finally paid off. In hind-site I should have gone to him sooner/before it was bad enough for an ER visit.

Your in my prayers & thoughts,

Terry40

Latest posts

Back