My surgery was cancelled 3 days before I was to enter the hospital.

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My surgery was cancelled 3 days before I was to enter the hospital. No reason was given. The hospital did not say anything about a rescheduled date or refferring me to another surgeon. I am looking at other hospitals. I gave up on them. Shocking but it's Asia--wild west/wild east.

Hey, I'm sorry to hear that. Take care and best of luck with finding a better option.

My surgery was cancelled 3 days before I was to enter the hospital. No reason was given. The hospital did not say anything about a rescheduled date or refferring me to another surgeon. I am looking at other hospitals. I gave up on them. Shocking but it's Asia--wild west/wild east.
What a let down this must be for you. I suspect they are not prepared to set you up with a reschedule at the drop of an unexpected cancel-worthy event. I have no experience with medical outside the USA but in the USA you get conditioned for a level of care which would include some indication of the next step even if it is just "We apologize and will be contacting you soon to reschedule." In your shoes I would give them some time. Even under normal circumstances it takes a while for them to call to schedule things. Starting over at a different hospital could end up taking longer. But I do not know your history with this one. This may be one of many problems. Good luck to you.

I second calling them back and asking them if they rescheduled or are planning to.

Sorry you had that cancelled. That’s a lot of emotional buildup for nothing.

Sorry to hear that. It is tough. Had several in the lead up my own. Then all of a sudden a call with an offer to go in next day. It'll happen. Best of luck..

Whilst I was in hospital recovering from OHS, the guy opposite me in the ward was about to go for mitral valve surgery; he was an oncology consultant himself and had experience cardiac arrest the previous week whilst at work. Anyway, the medical staff came to his bed to take him down, we (in his ward) wished him luck, and the medical staff took him away.

I then went for a wander around the ward (anything to avoid my dalteparin jab!)

I was back in 5 minutes - and so was my ward mate!

Turns out they had taken him to theatre prep-room, and they were seconds away from injecting the anaesthesia, when somebody burst in to say "Stop! There's an emergency admission to ER and the patient needs to urgently go onto an ECMO, and yours is the only one available"

The poor guy had already been worried about hs surgery, so to have this "false start" and then know he'd have to go through it again, must have been awful!

Jim

Whilst I was in hospital recovering from OHS, the guy opposite me in the ward was about to go for mitral valve surgery; he was an oncology consultant himself and had experience cardiac arrest the previous week whilst at work. Anyway, the medical staff came to his bed to take him down, we (in his ward) wished him luck, and the medical staff took him away.

I then went for a wander around the ward (anything to avoid my dalteparin jab!)

I was back in 5 minutes - and so was my ward mate!

Turns out they had taken him to theatre prep-room, and they were seconds away from injecting the anaesthesia, when somebody burst in to say "Stop! There's an emergency admission to ER and the patient needs to urgently go onto an ECMO, and yours is the only one available"

The poor guy had already been worried about hs surgery, so to have this "false start" and then know he'd have to go through it again, must have been awful!

Jim
I had my false start before my second surgery to replace the aortic valve. My right and left legs had a little internal infection going, and a slight fever with it. They decided to wait three weeks before trying again. It is better for a wait.

I agree. I imagine that "false starts" must be challenging to deal with emotionally:

1713728313977.png

Back