My story/Valve Repair

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

tym

Hello All,

I have been lurking on this board for about a month and a half, soon after I learned I would need my aortic valve replaced. The board has been an invaluable source of information as I have waded through my options. I have been reluctant to share my story as it would have been another acknowledgement that I would be going through the procedure.

In terms of background, I am 37, fairly active most of my life and in pretty good shape. I had never suspected any problem and was never told by a doctor that I had even a heart murmur. I went for a regular checkup in February and was told by my doctor that he heard what sounded like regurgitation when listening to my heart. He sent me for an echo a week later which I soon forgot about. He called with the results which he labeled as "disturbing". Off to the cardiologist and more tests a week later which confirmed my worst fear. My aortic valve was experiencing significant regurgitation, and my heart was enlarged and working too hard. I was not a walking time bomb but would need the surgery in short order. Here is where my luck began. I recently moved back to my home town of Chicago after 6 years in Montreal. Most of my experiences with the Canadian medical system have been positive but I have never had to deal with anything this significant. The thought of waiting lists for tests and surgery by who knows who and who knows what time would have added a great deal to my stress. More significantly I was able to go to Northwestern Hospital and be treated by Patrick McCarthy as have others on this board. He is a master technician and brilliant surgeon. We talked about the possibilities including tissue vs. mechanical and even repair. Repair sounded like the best to me but seem remote. Again this board has been a great source to make informed choices and ask informed questions.

Long story short I had the surgery 4/20. Dr. McCarthy was able to repair my valve as opposed to replace it. This has many advantages that mitigate weaknesses in both replacement types. I will not have to take coumadin and the chance that this will last much longer than a tissue valve are significant. I cant believe how good I feel not 6 days later. I have pain issues and some sleeplessness but I know these will pass. I was treated well by competent staff at a really nice hospital. I expect to have most of my life back within 6 weeks and have a full recovery after that.

Thanks again for your help, if there is anyway who is looking for information regarding replacement let me know.

Congratulations on your great outcome!
I wish I could have a repair, but my aortic valve is stenotic. :mad:
I bet your experience will be a boost to others trying to decide the best course of action for themselves.

I'm glad you've joined us. :)

Welcome and congratulations on your successful repair. We in the Chicago area are thrilled that Dr. McCarthy is now at Northwestern. I had my surgery done there over 13 years ago and still see a cardiologist associated with the hospital.

Take care of yourself and don't try to be a super hero in your recovery. Our bodies have very unkind ways of showing us that we've done too much after surgery. :eek:

If you see Doctor McCarthy, tell him I want him back at Cleveland! He tried to save my aortic valve after my aneursym ruptured, but best he could do was try to repair what was left and resuspend it. He made 3 attempts to make it function better before calling it quits. Best he could get was moderate regurg when finished. The man didn't think I had a chance in H*** of making it, but he took my case and here I am. I was 33 then. The man is truly outstanding. Tell me, if you had a chance to talk to him, did he get into his artificial Heart project with you at all and how it was coming?

You made my day with this post. I am 36 years old and had the same diagnosis slapped in my face in January. Severe regurgitation of the aortic valve. I will be going to Mayo this summer to, hopefully, have mine repaired. Dr. Zehr at Mayo gave me an 80% chance of success with a 2% failure rate per year. Hope my outcome is the same as yours.

Just remember to take it easy for awhile. Good luck with your new life!

Randy

Tym,

Welcome and congrats on such a great outcome. Still, remember you had major surgery and, even if you feel great, you must still recover. Take it slowly and be kind to yourself if you have an "off" day.

Stick around and I am sure you will find others who can benefit from your story.

Congratulations on your successfull operation Tym.
You are truly lucky to have had such a skilled surgeon. I to have been lurking around this website since i was diagnosed with the same condition as you. After an angiogram in December i was told i must have an operation to replace my aortic valve with a mechanical one and have been told the operation date is set at September 6th 2005 which is 2 days after my 43rd birthday. I have no symptoms of illness and am fit and active. I have not been offered the choice of a repair, but after reading your story i feel i must get back in touch with my surgeon to discuss the possibility of a repair.
Good luck with your recovery

Does anybody know if Dr. McCarthy takes pediatric cases? And/or how many Ross Procedures he has done? Chicago is only four hours away from us. We are still on the lookout for the closest, best surgeon for when the time comes. Thanks, Jane and Matt

francie12 said:
Does anybody know if Dr. McCarthy takes pediatric cases? And/or how many Ross Procedures he has done? Chicago is only four hours away from us. We are still on the lookout for the closest, best surgeon for when the time comes. Thanks, Jane and Matt
High risk surgery is his speciality, but he's started his own show at Chicago, so perhaps the best thing to do is to contact their cardiothoracic surgery dept and inquire. ;)

Great news Tym, I am so happy for you. What a great outcome. You have given me more hope that my sons upcoming surgery and recovery will go well. Take good cqare of yourself and let your body heal. Good luck with your continued recovery.

Tym

Tym

You will find while luking in here, there are those with heart murmurs are not detected for a time. Some are born with it, some have it develope over time. The main thing is to get thin caught when problems arise before it gets worse. Now to take good care of what you have now and keep up the checkups. Welcome and come in anytime. Ask question.

I am also in the Chicago area and have just been told that I will need my aortic valve repaired or replaced. My dr. recommends that I go to Cleveland Clinic but everyone I know is recommending surgeons in the Chicagoland area. Dr. McCarthy is one of them. I was wondering how you found him and if there are other surgeons in the area that you also considered and if so why you didn't have them perform the surgery. My dr. recommended that I don't go to Northwestern for the surgery but it looks like you had a possitive experience there. Any information you could provide would be helpful. Until I found this forum today I haven't talked to anyone else who has been in the same situation.

I am also in Chicago, and I also had an aortic valve repair done on Dec. 20, 2002. My surgeon was Dr. Robert March, at Rush University Medical Center. For JLR05 and francie12, Rush is located just minutes west of downtown Chicago. I cannot speak highly enough about Dr. March and the care I received at Rush. I had no pain, ever. Surgery was on 12/20, was released on 12/24. The next day, which was Christmas, Dr. March called me at home to see how I was doing. I have had no problems, and thus far, the repair is as tight as a drum, no AI. Dr. March is friends with Dr. David, the guy who developed the David-type valve sparing procedure. And he also has done near 150 Ross Procedures.

But here in Chicago we are blessed with many great hospitals and surgeons. Dr. McCarthy is known to many people. And at University of Chicago there is a young surgeon, Dr. Jeevanandam, who specializes in truely unique and difficult heart surgeries.

I do not think you will go wrong with any of these three surgeons.

Latest posts

Back