Mussel Glue

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

Kevin M

I was reading in the latest issue of Discover Magazine that scientists are in the process of unlocking the secret of how bi-valves, barnicles and the like can glue themselves to rocks and ship hulls so tenaciously.

Through analysis of the "resin" and the chemicals that are released in order for this to occur, they believe it won't be long until they can have a surgical application in the form of a superglue of sorts.

Even more interesting to us valvers is the fact that they believe it will be possible to also develop an "anti-glue" where a coating could be applied to a foreign object, such as a replacement valve replacement. This coating should be able to repel cells, which could eventually lead to less need for blood thinners.

I just thought it was an interesting approach, since we usually will hear about alternatives to blood thinners in the form of new drugs.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if an anti-clotting agent could be found that did not have the side-effects of our current choices?

I know it's probably years away, but it made me think that perhaps there is hope in the long term for those of us who will face yet another surgery within the next 25 years.
Kev

lets hope that they come up with the ideal solution down the road. i hope my next surgery is the last one. i think the cloning of ones own cells to form a new valve will eventually come. the question is when. i am hoping within the next 20 years.

rich

Latest posts

Back