Mitral vlave repair/replacement on Nov.1st-need positive reinforcement!!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Hi to everyone!

My name is Julia, I'm 38, married and the mother of 3 great kids ages 10, 6 & 3. I'm new to the heart disease game having experienced my 1st heart attack in June of this year while on vacation in Branson.
I had angiopasty to unclog my rt. coronary artery and received two stents. Approx. 3 weeks post-op I developed breathing difficulty and spent 2 days in the hospital where they discovered that I had fluid in my lungs and that my mitral valve was regurgitating. Since then I have had 2 echos, a TEE and another cath. to check everything out. My last cath. (Oct. 3) revealed that scar tissue has closed down the stent area 50% so that will be by-passed and my mitral valve is still leaking and they hope to repair it, though the surgeon admits that there may only be a 50% chance that it will be successful. So we also discussed valve replacement. He showed me what the valve looks like and answered all our questions and I feel very confident in his abilities.
Yet, I would love to hear from those of you out there who have gone through this experience and how you have coped. I need all the positive thoughts that you can share with me at this time!
Thanks!
Julia

Hi Julia-

Welcome to the site. What a lot of difficult things for you, at such a young age. But you're in the right place. You already have lots of cyber friends who've been there, done that or have loved ones who have.

It's a scary thing to have to face this surgery, but everyone here will reassure you that although it's a tough surgery, your imagination of what it will be like will be much more difficult than the actual procedure.

The surgeons who do this are among the most highly trained. They are extremely serious about their profession, they will study your case thoroughly. They'll pull together the very best OR staff and will have in place all of the personnel to help you with your initial post op days in the hospital. They are in people's hearts almost daily, and everything you have wrong in there, they have seen before and know how to treat it.

Your pain will be well taken care of. You'll be up and walking in the first couple of days, and you'll probably be home in a week or less. Many people can go back to work in 4-6 weeks.

Keep remembering that this is life saving surgery. You'll be able to fully enjoy watching your little ones grow up and leave the nest, and all your grandchildren and beyond.

My husband has had 3 valve surgeries, plus many other surgeries and procedures. He's 71 years old, and still ticking along.

I hope you will use this great resource to the max. There's so much info. here, it will take quite a while to sort through. But try to read as many posts as you can. You'll learn so much. And do ask lots of questions. It's a very supportive group, and we'll do our best to help you through.

Take care.

Hi Julia

Welcome to the site. I found it about three weeks ago and have been amazed by the wealth of information here, not to mention the wonderful support.

I know how you feel. I am scheduled for repair on my mitral on the 11th. From what all I am being told we will be fine. It still doesn't make it any easier does it.

Remember the Lord has His eye on each of us and we are in His hands. The best to you and yours on the 1st.

Terry and Chris E. Hudson

Hi, Julia,

Welcome to the site. It's a great source of support and information. I wish I had known about it before my surgery. I had a mitral valve repair and double CABG (bypass) 12 weeks ago and am doing very well.

My hopes and prayers go out to you for a successful operation and a good recovery.

-- roy --

Julia and Ter,
I wish both of you the best of luck as you face your surgery. I was in the same place you are just over two months ago. I remember all my fears and hesitations. Just know that the Lord does have His hand on you....never, ever think negative about the surgery. As Nancy said, this is a life-saving surgery you will be having and I know you trust your doctors completely. Both of you will come out of the surgery and look up into the smiling faces of your loved ones..... :)
I know that my surgery was one thing, but it's the "afterwards" that gave me such a tough time. I am so glad that I found this website...it has answered so many questions for me and made me KNOW that what is happening to me has happened to others..that is such a pleasant something to know!
Make sure that you have people at home AND in the hosptial to take care of you. DO NOT depend on the nursing staff to help you with all you'll need. My husband was the best nurse I had during my stay in the hospital - and once we were home! Make sure you get yourself up and get some exercise - I insisted on my urine cath being removed once I left ICU so that I had to get out of bed and walk to the restroom. Short distance, but wonderful exercise!
Make sure you reassure your family that you will be OK. They need to hear it and you need to hear yourself say it. It's harder on the family in the waiting room than it is on you...I didn't realize that until after my surgery was over. I wish I'd known that before!
Keep posting your thoughts and feelings. There are so many people here who can help you over your worries. Take care and may God bless you and yours.

Hello Julia,

Facing this type of surgery is a scary thing. You wouldn't be human if you didn't worry about it. Trust me you will be fine. They can do so many things today. We are living at the best time, where they can fix things rather easily today. The unknown is the hardest thing to deal with. Coming to this site will help you to reveal some of the unknowns and help you to feel a little better. You really have to surrender yourself to the fact that this is going to happen. You show up at the hospital and let them worry about the rest. Your job after that is to get better and you will...quicker than you think.

Best wishes for a successful surgery and a speedy recovery.

Becky

Last edited:
Hi Julia:
Sorry you have several medical problems to face at such a young age. When I found out about my mitral valve problem, it was such a shock to me and my family. I began immediately to search for information. I found this forum and tried to read as many posts. pre and post op that I could. When I found that other people were going through this and many had already had their surgery, I began to be more peaceful. Information about what to expect can relieve a lot of anxiety.
The people here have been very encouraging and have been so willing to share their experiences. Not only has this helped me, but my family has also had a lot of their questions and concerns answered here.
I also prepared myself to meet with the surgeon and had my questions ready for him. I left with a great confidence in my surgeon and felt ready for the surgery.
Being mentally prepared seems to make a difference. So we wish you the best and our prayers will be with you.

Julia - Welcome to this web site. I have three good suggestions for you regarding coping:
1 - Look at the statistics - A very, very high percentage of people have successful surgeries. You are young and they know your case very well. I absolutely believed that everything would turn out good.
2 - Keep busy because you don't want to dwell on it. My surgery came quickly and I didn't have as much time to worry.
3 - Focus on the future - I had six weeks off from work after surgery. I used it for various activities, and to spend more time with my wife. Pick something you want to do and promise your self that reward. Make your husband promise that he will help you make it happen.
Good luck. I will definitely say a prayer for you.

Thank you so much to everyone for all your replies....I'm so glad I asked for your reassurance. My attitude is very good at this time and will have to be a while longer as my surgery has been delayed for a week. I went to the hospital yesterday to do all my pre-op stuff (blood draw, ekg, chest x-ray etc. ) and as I was driving home I just wasn't feeling good. I kinda had a runny nose, some sneezing...anyway I woke up this morning with major sinus congestion and a cough. Needless to say, my surgeon said "no surgery for you on Friday, and take a Z-pack"! So needless to say I'm bummed out....but I will be OK!:) I know God is watching out for me....He's protected me through so much already! My surgery has been rescheduled for next Friday the 8th. I will have my husband to post on that day when I'm out and how everything went.

I'm so glad I found this group. You all are so kind and helpful!

By the way, Ter, we have lived in Missouri for only a year and a half. My hubby and I were both born and raised in the great Hoosier state! Though we have enjoyed all the friends we've made out here, our hearts remain in Indiana. You will be in my prayers on the 11th and I know that both of us will do just great!

Thanks again for your support and I'll check back in later on!

Julia;)

Latest posts

Back