Mitral Valve Replacement: Hard data on current gen bovine vs. porcine?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

MitralMan

This is my first post, and must first write that I am astounded that this forum even exists!

I've used the search function to review what has been written thus far about the current Medtronic Mosaic porcine valve vs. the CE bovine valve.

I'm a 47 year old male, and my surgeon -- a top mitral valve repair guy -- says unequivocally: Mosaic. My brother-in-law -- a younger, rapidly rising cardio-thoracic surgeon whose specialty I do not know -- says unequivocally: bovine.

I say: where can i find hard data to compare the two? Thanks in advance.

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Hang in there, we have a new member that has some outstanding statistical info that you may find useful. I've sent her a private message to come talk with you. Sheylathomas, this one is for you. :)

Thanks, Ross.

Thanks, Ross.

We've already begun communicating, and I'm getting data from Medtronics and Edwards directly as well.

Sheesh!

Welcome to the forum and please come back and share whatever information you acquire!

Living and learning!

Living and learning!

Hi again Sheyla, and thanks for this extra piece of information. Very useful indeed! You must remember what I told you about the type of valve I have, but I wonder why the duramater one I had before, lasted for nearly 16 years even though it was put in me back in 1980. I mean, the one I've had for 9 years is much more modern and is already deteriorating. Apart from the name, I don't really know much about the duramater so, I'd like you to tell me something about it, and compare it to the Pericardium bovine bioprosthetic cardioprothesis valve I have. By the way, do they still make them? Thanks again!

Débora from Brazil

I tried to upload 8 year compendium from Medtronics, but the file is too large

I tried to upload 8 year compendium from Medtronics, but the file is too large

Still working on getting the hard data posted from CE, too.

Thanks, everyone!

Question for Sheylathomas.....

Question for Sheylathomas.....

Sorry to hijack this thread, even though it has been dormant for three days. I see we have a new member 'ST,' who appears to have a lot of fresh knowledge on the valve industry.....so, as we have a few St. Jude 'Silzone' valve folks here, perhaps it would be interesting to hear her views on the rise and fall of the 'Silzone' valve.

Of particular interest are the questions of paravalvular leakage and thromboembolic events associated with the device and any information she has gathered from Surgeons she has talked to.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts ST......and thank you in anticipation.

Cheers,

Billy

St Jude Silzone Recall.......

St Jude Silzone Recall.......

Ref: the recall of the Silzone valve......QUOTE
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Probably a good idea for many reasons I will not get into, but bottom line I would not worry terribly if I had one of these valves, b/c I think SJude erred on the side of extreme caution, a good thing.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you ST for your comments so far. Would be really interested in your many reasons why you think it was a good idea that the valve was recalled. As regards St Jude erring on the side of caution, don't you think the statistics of 5% problems in the ordinary valve against 33% problems in the silzone was a pretty big deal.

Can you elaborate further on what effects the silzone coating had on the healing process and whether or not you are aware of any longer-term ill effects of the device.

Thank you,
Billy

Carpentier-Edwards Mitral Valve 16 year compendium

Carpentier-Edwards Mitral Valve 16 year compendium

Data courtesy of CE, with thanks!

Latest posts

Back