Mitral valve replace or repair

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doberman

After 6 months I had the opportunity to meet with the surgeon of my choice. I had previously been told by my first cardiologist that my mitral valve was not repairable, and I would have to have a mechanical valve and we would wait and see. "Come back in a year" he said. As I did not like the idea of waiting for my condition to worsen as I am currently asymptomatic I had myself referred to another cardiologist who told me that yes my valve was most probably repairable and he wanted me to be operated on within 6 to 8 months. My surgeon has told me that he can definitely repair my mitral valve, I couldn't be happier I think this is the best case but this is the question.
Should I be speaking to him about a back-up if something should be discovered and the valve is not repairable? I can't sleep with a ticking watch next to my bed let alone a valve ticking in my chest, I also enjoy an active outdoor lifestyle and would not want to be on blood thinners. My operation is in Sept. Any advice would be appreciated.
Regards JD

Always have a backup plan!

My surgeon told me day before my surgery he was "90%" sure he could repair the valve. When I woke up in ICU, I heard the ticking of my St. Jude valve. Yes, he repaired the chordae, but he could not get the leaflets down to less than 1 or 2 on regurgitation. He also found an atrial septal defect, so that had to be repaired. I had told him to go with a St. Jude valve if he couldn't repair the valve successfully.

Most definately have a back up plan that your comfortable with. If someone says they can't fix your valve, consult the Cleveland Clinic. There are people who've been getting new valves, who could've had they went there, had theirs repaired.

Have to have a backup plan. Things do not always show up in the preliminary testing correctly. Once the surgeon opens you up, he/she'll see the nature of your valve problem.

Similar situation

Similar situation

I have had two mitral valve repalcements, the first in Nov, 1991, the most recent in Sept, 2003.

Whem I went in for my first procedure, I was 34 years old, and the Doc told me that he was certain that he could repair the valve, but recommended to me to have already decided which type of valve should it be necessary.

Well, when I awoke, I found out that they had to replace it with my choice of a porcine valve.

I was of course very worried before both procedures, and in both cases the worry was for not. Last September, I went in on Tuesday and was out of the hospital before the weekend was over.

My thoughts are with you, and your positive approach to life will make things go so much smoother.

Regards, Dave Darsch

Back