mini-sternotomy for AVR

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

John Cochran

I am having my aortic valve replaced on April 24, 2002 with a Cryolife Synergraft aortic homograft. The technique my surgeon will be using is a "mini-sternotomy" where the entire sternum is not split...just the top portion. This is supposed to leave a smaller scar, heal faster, and leave some structural integrity to the chest.

Are any of you (or have any of you) having/had this procedure? I've also requested a "cosmetic close" ... I told my surgeon that I'm still hoping to join the senior Chippendale's dance review!

--John

Yep John... had that done! Only mine is upside down...it goes from the bottom of my sternum up about four inches... the scar doesn't show when I wear low cut dresses or tank tops. Love my surgeon for that one!!!!

Beware though... while it does indeed leave some structural integrity... you are still prone to the same types of dangers you would be with a full sternotomy.

Take care,
Zazzy

Hi John,

My surgeon told me that he could do a mini-sternotomy if I were to choose either a mechanical or a stented valve. I ended up choosing a stentless valve, which required a full sternotomy. Unfortunately, because of how my heart lined up, he had to go with the stented valve.

The surgeon suggested that with the one dimensional valves (stented; mechanical) he could do the mini. Otherwise (stentless, ross) he would do a full.

I know each surgeon is different. I understand the Dr. Doty in SLC does a Ross procedure using the mini. WOW!

I had my mitral valve repaired with a mini-upper sternotomy by Dr. Cosgrove on February 7. The scar is only 2 5/8" long. I am really glad it was a mini instead of the full sternotomy, because I'm not sure I would have survived the full zipper appraoch.

Even the mini is still a major onslaught to your body. I have gone through a lot of discomfort apparently because of the position they put you in on the operating table, the extreme retraction of the sternum with the clamps, etc. Finally at 9 weeks post-op, the muscle spasms in the back and shoulders are subsiding and my shoulders are starting to "come down" to a more normal slope.

I was still in the hospital 6 days and went back to work at 6 weeks post-op.

Latest posts

Back