medtronic-hall valve

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

katie

October 22nd is the date for the avr - now he has to choose between the mechanical or freestyle. With him being a diabetic and 49 years old there are so many pros and cons with either. Any diabetics who have had success with either, we would appreciate their input.

Hello Katie,

I'm not familiar with the Medtronic valve(s) and have never heard of
a "freestyle" valve. Does Medtronic have a Web Site? That would be a good place to start. At age 49, I believe any tissue valve will require replacement within his lifetime (10 to 20 years), even the homografts.

The St. Jude Mechanical Valve seems to have the best track record for durability. They have LOTS of information on Valve Selection and Anti-coagulation Use and Management on their web site. Go to www.OneValveForLife.com and read everything under Patients and Physicians.

I requested a Bovine Pericardial (cow's pericardial tissue valve) which has 90% durability at 15 years and counting, but after removing my severly stenosed valve, my surgeon decided my best chances were with a St. Jude Mechanical valve. I'm getting used to being on Coumadin.

'AL'

Hi Katie,

There are a few of us here with Medtronic valves. Going on 4 years myself. Tammy is going on 13 or 14.

Medtronic is a large corporation. Would not count it any higher or lower in the performance category than St. Jude. There just seems to be more St. Jude valvers that belong to the group here. Guess it depends on your surgeons preference. Just so happened I was at a Medtronic research hospital at the time, hence the choice. Web site is www.Medtronic.com.

I would have to assume taking Coumadin would be a huge challenge for a diabetic. There are so many things Coumarians and Diabetics cannot eat. I believe if you look at the list of foods combined there is not much of a choice left. If it were not for the diabetes.....a mechanical valve may be the best option. Would recommend obtaining a few expert opinions.

Latest posts

Back