medicine for a cold

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Getzfixed

I figured I'd get a quicker answer to this question here than waiting for Monday. I wasn't sure what medicines are safe to take for a cold. I go in next month for surgery, and am not sure what over the counter medicines are safe to take. I don't want to do any more damage before I go in, but I feel lousy now with the cold. Thanks. Getz

Tis the season for colds. The best thing to do and probably
the safest is to suffer thru it. Take tylenol for the headache &
get some rest. My pharmasist said don't take anything with
a decongestant. Since I am on coumadin I also can't take
over the counter drugs with alchohol. I finda mist does help
and a warm steamy shower. Give it a few days if not better
go to your dr. If it is a sore throat get it checked for strep.

Hope this helps and that you feel better soon.
;) Judy

Hi Getzfixed-

Don't take anything that would have blood thinning properties, aspirin, Advil etc, etc. Probably should stay away from extra Vitamin C as well. I wasn't sure if you were on Coumadin now or not, but even if you aren't, don't mess with anything that would thin your blood. When you go in for your presurgery tests, they will no doubt check your INR. If your blood is too thin, it could scuttle the surgery.

If you are on any medicines for blood pressure, you have to be careful about interactions too.

Like Judy said, I'd stick to Tylenol and steam yourself for congestion. Do it the old fashioned way.

Hi Getzfixed,

I got a cold about a month ago and I immediately called my doctor to find out what I could take. I'm on Coumadin so I knew I had to be careful what I take. First he said the same thing JBriau said. No decongestants. My cardiologist said I could take plain Robitussin for colds, for the cough. None of the other Robitussins with the letters at the end would be good. It comes in non drowsey formula so you would be safe with that. My cardio also said I could plain non-drowsey Benadryl, again the one with Antihistamines were okay but not with decongestants. My cardio also said I could take Coldezee or Zinc pills, which he said wouldn't effect my INR. Since you haven't had surgery yet, I'm not quite sure what you wouldn't be able to have but I agree with Nancy that you wouldn't want to take anything that would thin your blood out. The cold remedies I gave you are the ones my doctor told me to take. Oh, and of course Tylenol. I hope this helps. Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Hi,

Colds are miserable and there are many of them to avoid this time of the year!

I agree with all the others that you shouldn't take anything that effects the coagulative ability. I would also be a little careful about remedies that contain echinachea. Instead I would rely on paracetamol, drink plenty of fluids and rest as much as possible. I use locally acting nasal sprays with no systemic effect when I have a cold.

I hope this doesn't delay your surgery!

/jessica

:D

Cold medication

Cold medication

Hi! I used to post here a good bit as Susan in FL, but have been out of the loop for a while due to a PC virus and work pressures. Sure is good to be back! I had aortic valve replacement almost 3 years ago and have a mechanical so I take coumadin. What I have learned is that there is not always a specific response to any "other " medication--sometimes cold & flu medication can decrease the anti-coagulation and the next time increase it. So many things depend on other factors at the time--what you eat, stress level, and so on. It is best to avoid anything if possible other than a tylenol. My cardio says pseudophed is okay, but that keeps me awake--fortunately I don't get sick much!! But I do agree with the others to be careful before the surgery, but you should also make sure you get over the illness as well even if that means medication. Being sick could most likely stop the surgery, and believe me, you certainly want to avoid any coughing fits until as long after the surgery as possible!!! Good luck! Sue:cool:

Latest posts

Back