Mainframe's surgery day 3

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

Tannemck

Day 3...well, he is eating all by himself. It could have something to do with the hospital food so I brought some from home and I doctered up what came up from the hospital.
I brought copies of all your good wishes. They meant so much to him. Thank you again! You are all angels.
Today also brought additional energy and he walked 4 times today. They say that he still has fluid on his lungs so we are working on that. The bigest news is that is Chris may possibly come home tomorrow (on day 4), I hope they aren't rushing it as today really was first completely good day. I told the nurse that I wasn't sure of the early release so I hope they will convey my concern.
Tonight is my first night to sleep at home so I'll sign off.

Tina

I sometimes think they discharge people too soon. If he has fluid around his lungs, they're not going to let him out yet. I hate to say that because I truly hate hospital stays, of any length.

Outside of that, it sounds as though he's doing quite well. We all hope to see some posting from him soon. Not too soon though. ;)

Hi Tina-

Great news that Chris is possibly going home. It's such a big step for the patient. It's not unusual for there to be fluid after surgery. They will probably give him Lasix or another diuretic to help his body shed the fluid. And they may want him to stay low sodium for a while to also help with the fluid. Tell him to use the spirometer religiously even at home. That helps with the reexpansion of the lungs and will help the whole cardio/pulmonary area of the body.

I know you most likely feel that he's so weak and how will he manage at home. I was always amazed that they would send my husband home in that condition. But it was good for him emotionally and we managed. He'll be like a big "baby" for a while, and you'll have to help him do many things.

Good luck!

Hi Tina,
Glad that Chris is doing so well... be careful of your doctoring of the food though... no salt!!! lol

Nancy is right... fluid is common and should get better soon. He will be closely monitored so I wouldn't worry too much.

You will be amazed at what he can accomplish when he gets home. The one thing that I hated though was how my family babied me so much after surgery. Sheesh... a gal has gotta' get up and move!!! lol

Take care and give Chris my best wishes for a speedy recovery,

Zazzy

Hi Tina! I went home on Hospital day 4, too. Dr. Verrier is a very good surgeon. He did my mitral valve in august of last year. I really wanted to visit chris in the hospital, but it'a a two hour drive to seattle. I had the coolest nurses in the ICU! I was there 3 times, and I had Ingrid, Kelly, Christina, and a few others that i don't remember very well. My husband had to take me to the cafeteria downstairs for food! THey kept me on penicillin, vitamin C, Iron, percocet, metoprolol, furosemide, and aspirin for a month after my surgery, and then I got to come home. Anyways, tell chris good luck, and we hope to see him soon.

hi tina!
what great news! chris sounds like he's doing really well. i'm sure if the dr's think that he's able to go home on day 4, he will be fine. in fact, joey wanted to go home sooner than later. there's nothing like the comfort of your own home.
everyone's right about the lasix, the "no salt"diet, taking it easy, the spirometer, and just having chris rest and allow others to help him out.
please wish him the best and a continued easy recovery.
God bless,
sylvia

I'm back

I'm back

Got home from the hosipital this afternoon. Will let you all know how it went tomorrow after I get a bit of rest.

Chris

Glad to see you post Chris.
Get all the rest you need and then tell us about when you feel up to it.

Wow!

Wow!

Home already? Great news, they must really think you're on your way to cut you loose!

I was going to look you up when I was at the UW on Thursday to see Dr. Verrier, but I guess that's off. All the better though.

Rest up, fill us in when you feel able.

Johnny

Latest posts

Back