Low blood platelets #2

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott

Hi all. I just heard back from my hematologist about my low blood platelets. They said so far the tests show no cancer and my insides all look normal. I will meet with her Wednesday to find out the rest. My question is this. Can my deteriorating bav with regurgitation cause my low blood platelet condition? My Sister in law works with a hematologist and he told her that it could be the cause. It seems like one of my Doctors would have let me know that? If anyone has any thoughts I would appreciate them. Maybe I should not have gone to have a physical before my surgery.

You absolutely should have gone for your physical before surgery. You need to find out if your platelets are coated with an antibody, if they show anything abnormal that would possibly cause leukemia or something else later down the road, will you need routine monitoring of your platelet count, either every 3 months, 6 months, or yearly. The bone marrow biopsy should tell them if you are producing enough platelets and if you are, your immune system may be attacking them (coated with antibody). Ask them about medications that cause low platelets. You may need to ensure every physician that treats you going forward that you have low platelets so that when they choose a medication for you, they may be able to select one that does not effect platelets.

When I was first diagnosed, I saw the hematologist every 3 months, then 6, 9, then annual; then I was turned over to my primary care physician for monitoring. If any issues come up, I will see the hematologist.

I asked my hematologist post op if my valve could have caused my platelets to be coated and result in low counts. He said it is possible that the low count was caused by my valve, my platelets are coated with an antibody so it's immune system related, and usually it's the red blood cells that are destroyed by a defective valve. He wrote a published paper about the topic. I have been fortunate to have platelet counts anywhere from 130 to 165 post op but my platelets also drop periodically. I am monitored by my primary care physician. Couple months ago my platelets dropped to 115K, cause not determined, I was having some digestive problems so that could have contributed to the low count. I am stable now and will continue to be monitored by my primary care physician.

I was diagnosed with ITP in 1996. It was very scary for me early on but as the years have passed, I have not had any major issues, thank the good Lord, hopefully I never will, also I have been told what to watch for so I rely on my doctors to manage the rest.

PM me if you'd like to chat more. I'll be thinking of you, please keep me informed. :)

Latest posts

Back